Author Topic: What If...  (Read 2347 times)

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
What If...
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:38:25 AM »
I had the idea to do a series of topics like this, each one posing a different "What If" question. If you have any ideas, feel free to start your own topics.

Here's the question I was thinking about: what if Coldplay was formed in the 80s and U2 came together early this decade - with Coldplay as their major influence (instead of the other way around)? How would each band's music be different?

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
Re: What If...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
...I would cry.  ;) Seriously, though, I'm doubting Coldplay would have been as big. I don't think they could have conjured up the magic of Red Rocks, for instance, or the fabulous overstimulation of ZooTV.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
I agree - although both front men are big in their own rights theres something that Bonos got - Chris martin hasn't quite got it for me (a wee bit like Brandon Flowers) Sights on being as big as but just not quite having that special 'thing'...

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree - although both front men are big in their own rights theres something that Bonos got - Chris martin hasn't quite got it for me (a wee bit like Brandon Flowers) Sights on being as big as but just not quite having that special 'thing'...

Exactly! I don't know quite what is it, but it is.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
I think the difference is that U2 are prepared to be confrontational - being against the IRA, for example, was not a populist move when they started doing it in the 1980s, and persisting with the poverty issue after Live Aid could always have backfired; also, the 1990s as a whole generally featured U2 stylistically throwing themselves about far more than most bands that sell to at least 7 figures are wont to do. Coldplay, on the other hand, seem to be constantly ameliorative; much as it'll irritate some here, I think Pitchfork was right (shockingly) when they said that "just as they dull the sharp corners of their legendary influences musically, Coldplay offer a diluted version of the "experimental" mid-career maneuver" with Viva La Vida.

Essentially, I seem to conclude it'd be moderation all round, although admittedly the whole situation is purely hypothetical; maybe Chris Martin would've spoken out against the Thatcher government's policies or railed against Reaganomics (U2 criticised both in the late 80s, at any rate). Also bear in mind that, if Coldplay are as pandering as I portray them, they'd have probably gone and ripped off New Order at first opportunity, putting a 2000s-formed U2 in roughly the same scene musically as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. How fascinating.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:38:40 PM by TraKianLite/Zooropa »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
I totally agree with Ultraviolet. And it's not because I am a U2 fanatic.  I sincerely think they would not have been as big as U2 turned out to be.  I think that kind of magic does not come along that often. Coldplay is a good band but they don't have "IT" (that mysterious thing that makes someone legendary).

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:10:36 PM »
If U2 started in the late '90s and released BOY then OCTOBER, they would've been dropped by the record label and never heard from again.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
If U2 started in the late '90s and released BOY then OCTOBER, they would've been dropped by the record label and never heard from again.

Yes, but this assumes that Boy and October would be the sort of albums they'd have put out in the late 1990s. I contend that they wouldn't have done; push forward the influences by twenty years and they'd have listened to Nirvana and PJ Harvey instead of the Clash and Patti Smith.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »

If you listen to the tapes that got U2 their first contract, they would NEVER have been signed in the first place.

That said, i think that if U2 had debuted with "Boy" last year or so, they would have been even bigger than in 1980.