Author Topic: Hello  (Read 21637 times)

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
Hello
« on: October 04, 2008, 05:10:53 AM »
I know all of us who are here at the moment aren't new to the forum, but I thought it would be nice if we could let each other know a little about ourselves, so here goes!  I live in Cumbria in the UK and have been a U2 fan since 1983 - it's hard to believe they have been part of my life for that long! 

mariamontreal

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
 ::) Hello , I live in Montreal Quebec ( Canada) and have been a fan since 1977 and still going strong . Welcome to our U2 family , the people are great , topics are interesting and somtimes really funny . Enjoy the new forum  !

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
Wow 1977 and I thought I was an old-timer going strong!   :)

mariamontreal

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
I beat ya ! I don't really think I should be too proud of that it reaveals my age ! It's just a number .

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I beat ya ! I don't really think I should be too proud of that it reaveals my age ! It's just a number .

LOL yeah it does how our age  ;)

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
Hi. My name is malachi and I have been a real fan for only a couple of years now as I am only 15 (nearly 16 by the way) but I have grown up with u2 all my life as my dad listened to it all the time. He never stopps telling me of when he saw them in 1986 at wembley blablabla. You get the Idea.

Oh and I play the drums. Larry mullens my influence.

Mal

Edit! Oh and I Live in London (England)

Offline Pammy

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
 ;D

Hi I`m Pam and live in Leicester, UK.

I`m a hard working NHS nurse whose life is made much more bearable by listening and watching U2. I remember hearing New Years Day on the radio, but wasn`t really hooked till I heard With or Without You - it was so different and stood out massively so I was hooked. Initially I was a Bono girl but now Larry is my fav - more my personality type. I think Bono would scare me to death!

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 11:04:43 AM »
Hello,

I live in Massachusetts and I have been a fan since 1991.  I remember I got a little boom box for Christmas that year and I got The Joshua Tree on cassette to listen to on my new boom box, along with an Amy Grant cassette.  I  loved that tape.  I still have it too!  I love U2 because of their passion and the fact that their songs speak to everybody in a different way.  I also converted my sister and my mom into big fans!  They always liked U2 but were not as crazy as I was, but that has changed!  We go to concerts together and other U2 related events.   

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »
Hi there,

My name is hurricane hugo, and I'm a U2aholic. Imbibing way beyond all sensible limits since May '81. ;D

jdfu!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »
Well my name's Boom Cha! haha....but yeah I've only been a U2 fan since 2005, but they quickly bacame my all time faviorite after hearing Achtung Baby and Pop. So the new album in '09 will be the first U2 album I'm looking forward to! Can't wait!

Also, this new forum is schnazzy....it's gonna take me some time to used to this...

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
Hi there

I'm unforgettable fire and I've been a HUGE U2 fan for 8 years now! Wow!

I live in New York, and my first impression of U2 was when I was in middle school back in 2000. I saw four men playing in an airport runway while a plane was flying above thier heads. And my first impression was: WTF are they doing? :D

But then the song "Beautiful Day" came on and it hit me so profoundly: it was catchy, powerful, and just so optimistic. I instantly became hooked into U2 and over the years sought out and heard the rest of their other albums, each one a great musical adventure after the next. Then the last album I heard was, of course, All That You Can't Leave Behind. From that first song to "Grace", I felt entranced. And I related to them more in a spiritual sense and I've been a fan since.

Offline Joshua Tree

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »
Huge fan since the Joshua Tree (hence my name). This album got me through a tough time in my life.

Offline velvetjones

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »
Hey Everyone

My name is Aaron, but for reasons unknown to me my friends call me velvetjones.  I am 25 and live an hour south of Chicago, IL USA.  I think the first U2 song I heard was Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me back when I was 12 or 13.  Then when I was 14 I started seeing all the videos from POP on MTV and VH1 and fell in love.  Yes, you read that right, I became a fan of U2 because of the POP album and I still love it to this day.  Through the years Ive come to understand why many fans were not as thrilled with that release as I was, and I certainly do not think it is best effort (for the reccord, the Joshua Tree is my favorite album overall), but it does hold a special place in my heart for bringing me into the U2 fan family.  

When I was 17 I got my first job working at Sears selling lawn and garden equipment.  My first paycheck came the week All That You Can't Leave Behind was released.  So the first 12 dollars from the first paycheck from my first job went to pay for the album that put U2 back on top of the world.    

I got my first guitar right around the same time and just messed around with it and didnt get anywhere.  Then, in November of 2001 I saw U2 live in St. Louis (where I grew up).  At one point in the show a fan joined the band on stage to play guitar during Knockin on Heavin's Door.  I remember The Edge telling him the 4 chords of the song and remember thinking how it all seemed so simple, but magical, that strangers could just spontaneously make great music together.  In the weeks that followed I started learning to strum along with pretty much every song I liked or that I thought my family and friends would want to hear.  7 Years, 6 guitars, a few amps, and 4 delay units later Im still playing and loving it more everyday.  Music, listening to it, but most of all playing it, has gotten me through some really tough times these past few years.  But the hard times give the listening more meaning and insight, and the playing more soul and fire.  I don't know what Im always going to do for a living, but I do know that music will be my life.  

Thanks U2

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »
Hello, I am a fan since 1980. I am from Albany New York. U2 played here in 1980 at a place called JB Scotts. I fell in love with their music and have been a passionate fan every since..I love how everyone here is from all over the world. I am looking forward to another Christmas Card Exchange in a few months. Who started that???? :)

Offline JohnnyVOXX

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • many will see and hear
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »
Hi there!!
My name is Johnny. I'm 26 and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina...
I've been a U2 fan since 2000, an aunt gave me ATYCLB for a B-day present and I loved it... 2002 I got my hands into the 1980-1990 best of, and fell in love with the band, I knew most of the songs but I never noticed that they were all U2 songs 'till then....
A causin who is also a die-hard fan, gave me a couple of bootlegs he had... so I started buying albums like crazy; soon, let's say 2 months, I had all the albums...
the I had the luck to see them live here in Buenos Aires 02/MARCH/2006 during the VERTIGO TOUR, and sincerely that was IT for me... ever since... I've been a die hard fan...
they have managed to be beside me through very tough times and have managed to changed the way I see the world, and definitively they have changed me into a better man... so I'm very very thankfull and happy for it!!
Rock on!!!

BTW: I'm loving the new forum!!! congrats and all the best of lucks!!