Author Topic: @U2's Ultimate Guide To Buying U2 Tickets  (Read 1754 times)

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
@U2's Ultimate Guide To Buying U2 Tickets
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:15:25 AM »
I read this article by Matt and what a sham. Asking fans to buy multiple U2.com memberships. I am glad to have had a subscription dating back to the early 90s and have priority. For you to tell fellow U2 fans that they have to buy multiple subscriptions is not right. I know scalpers blew the roof off the Vertigo sales on the first leg, but come on Matt, level the playing the field and do not provoke the extremism.

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
Re: @U2's Ultimate Guide To Buying U2 Tickets
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Just because he says to buy multiple memberships doesn't mean people are going to do it. Sure, there are plenty of people who will, but certainly not BECAUSE he told them to. All he's doing is pointing out the fact that, in truth, it works. It may not be fair, it might risk getting you kicked out of U2.com, but for some people, it'll be worth it to get U2 tickets.

Don't be mad at the author, he just pointing out what's already been said/done. Be mad at the people that are actually buy multiple accounts.

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I agree. It is just upsetting that the author of this site is stating it. Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who leach more than they should. Scalpers by memberships just to get their hand on tickets so they can resell to others.

The demand for tickets states in high volume that U2 puts on a good show. Unfortunately, the practice of purchasing multiple memberships does not allow true fans into obtaining tickets through the fan club as it did before the band went virtual.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »
Matt, is just reporting what's been done, not advising people to do it, as mdewater stated.  I quote,

"If it's really important to you, ask a neighbor or co-worker to pay for an account, too, and have them help you get tickets during the pre-sale. Note: That may sound unethical to some, and I understand why. However, you should know that all scalpers/brokers do this, and many of your fellow "regular" U2 fans have more than one account, too."

That said, there are many fans that just have one account or none at all and I hear what you're saying.
Its definitely harder than ever to get tickets at face value for a local show, with the internet, all the broking and from international sites. 

At least U2.com & fans are trying to stop the scalping of presale codes on ebay, and most fan tix get to the trading forums at face value.
And until governments legislate &/or regulate the ticketting monopolies like TM, the fans can do what they can to help fellow fans out. 

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree. It is just upsetting that the author of this site is stating it.

Wow. Okay. So I guess I should never mention bootlegs, scalping, trading wristbands, and all the other stuff people do that could be construed as bothersome/wrong/illegal. I'll just stick my head in the sand and pretend these things don't happen, and that we all live in a world of faeries and unicorns where one U2 fan never, ever, ever tries to get ahead of the next fan by doing something like buying a U2.com account in their spouse's name. Right.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »
Sorry to intrude but I thought the guide was extremely helpful to someone like me who has not seen them since the Joshua Tree when you physically stood in line. Buying my tickets this time in cyberspace is scary and I was happy to have something to help me! So thanks @U2!

Oh Matt, you need  Girl Scout thin mint cookies tonight. I'll send them through cyberspace because I am eating them right now!   (Yeah that's right - it's after midnight and I am eating cookies and loving every second of it! ;D ;D ;D ;D)!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day too m2. It is officially here on the East coast!

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »
Matt, you are off point. I don't care about bootlegs because I have some. I have bought scalped tickets to see Indoor Zoo TV. I am as flawed as everyone else in the forum. I thought your ticketing advice was great but after last tour's fiasco, I am calling you out on the carpet about getting multiple memberships.

One thing I would add is go to the venue where the show is being held on the day of ticket sales. I am not sure you covered this but the United Center here is Chicago, where U2 has played on the lat two tours, holds tickets for day of sale and does not let them get routed through the Ticketmaster system. So, there is something we might also want to consider.

I miss those days of standing in line for the Joshua Tree, (sigh).

Offline owls05

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
One thing I would add is go to the venue where the show is being held on the day of ticket sales. I am not sure you covered this but the United Center here is Chicago, where U2 has played on the lat two tours, holds tickets for day of sale and does not let them get routed through the Ticketmaster system. So, there is something we might also want to consider.

I miss those days of standing in line for the Joshua Tree, (sigh).
I always prefer to queue. I understand not everyone can do this, but when i can i do this. This is the best way to get tickets as you don't have to deal with scalpers like seetickets or ticketmaster. Plus there are no booking fees!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:03 PM »
Matt, you are off point. I don't care about bootlegs because I have some. I have bought scalped tickets to see Indoor Zoo TV. I am as flawed as everyone else in the forum.

Except you apparently don't have more than U2.com membership (nor do I, BTW), so that should never even be mentioned? Whatever, dubzoo.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
I think most of us having friends , girlfriends family etc who have memberships too. So it is easy to get secondary memberships without being "immora"l or" illegal"
My pal got London, I got Dublin and my girlfriends brother got Nice, et voila. All above board.