Author Topic: Is Boots the worst song U2 have ever recorded?  (Read 14285 times)

Offline One Tree Hill

• Stateless
Re: Is Boots the worst song U2 have ever recorded?
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2009, 05:42:52 AM »
If you think Boots is the worst song that U2 has ever done...just remind your ears of Red light,Wild honey,Grace,Trip through your wires...
I dont rate Boots as the worst or best song...but give it some credit...the groove and guitar riff,tho borrowed is still great..the verse vocals.. as people have said are very Escape club 'Wild wild west'...the rest of it is not great,but by far not the worst.................like the rest of the album.. not especially great(even tho Magnificent is a contender) and not awfully bad........

andyt

« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2009, 05:58:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you think Boots is the worst song that U2 has ever done...just remind your ears of Red light,Wild honey,Grace,Trip through your wires...
I dont rate Boots as the worst or best song...but give it some credit...the groove and guitar riff,tho borrowed is still great..the verse vocals.. as people have said are very Escape club 'Wild wild west'...the rest of it is not great,but by far not the worst.................like the rest of the album.. not especially great(even tho Magnificent is a contender) and not awfully bad........

I like Red Light!

If it isn't the worst song they've done, it's the one I will switch off whenever I hear it. Grace would just wash over me and I'd ignore it but Boots I just can't listen too.

It's the lyrics that make me cringe. And Bono's usual self referencing - 'I don't want to talk about wars between nations'. Who gives a toss Bono. If you can write great lyrics like the ones to Moment of Surrender, you don't have to write nonsense like 'I got a submarine, You got gasoline, I don’t want to talk about wars between nations'.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »
Miami gets the worst song vote from me.

Offline silkenskies

• Refugee
  • You got my head filled with songs
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »

wow I would not put Trip Through Your Wires in the bottom tier of songs. Maybe not even Wild Honey, but the others I agree with.

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »
I don't mind some of the nonsense lyrics on Boots because I know the song itself is a fast, three minute throwaway song.  My beef with the Boots lyrics is when he does bring up "I don't want to talk about wars between nations".  That part sounds so cheesy and out of place considering that it is a dumb song.  Dumb lyrics for dumb songs=I'm cool with that.  :)

jimyjazz

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
I really like Wild Honey, Grace and Miami.  I don't get all the hate for the first two.  Wild Honey is perfect!

Offline Sue DeNym

• Babyface
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »
Can anyone think of a worse U2 song?

Several:
Miami
Wild Honey
The First Time
The Playboy Mansion
Some Days Are Better Than Others

To be fair, any band that's been around as long as U2 are going to have the occasional miss to go with their many hits.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
Stuck in a moment.....

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
I have read most of this thread and can't believe some of the songs listed as U2's worst songs.

What is wrong with you people?

Tripped through your Wires? (Great song, Bono on the harmonica)
Miracle Drug? (Not their best but memorable and not near the lower rungs of their worst)
Wild Honey? (Great song period, if you saw it live acoustic during Elevation then you would agree.)
Some Days Are Better Than Others?  (Love the clever lyrics)
Elevation? (WTF?)
Unknown Caller?  (this is one of my favorites on NLOTH BTW)

If I have to select eight of their worst songs they would be, (NOT NECESSARILY IN THIS ORDER):

1.  Grace
2.  Miami
3.  A Man And A Woman
4.  One Step Closer
5.  When I look At The World
6.  Do You Feel Loved
7.  If You Wear That Velvet Dress
8.  Babyface

There may be more, but in posting this, I looked all all of the albums from Boy to Rattle and Hum and could find no songs that I really thought ranked up with those above.

Elevation and Tripped through your Wires?  Whoever suggested those as being worse than Boots should give up their U2 fan card.  Boots is not their best but it is better than the 8 songs I listed above.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
For all of you who say either Boots, Unknown Caller, Crazy Tonight (my fav off NLOTH), or Numb is the worst song U2 has ever made...YOU ALL ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kenitai

• Wanderer
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »
To the OP's original question: It's just a matter of taste and mood.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »
To the OP's original question: It's just a matter of taste and mood.

EXACTLY! 

Liking does not equal "good"
Not liking does not equal "bad"
For that matter, in a few minutes, days, or years you might like a song you now hate, tastes do change sometimes afterall!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
I really like Wild Honey, Grace and Miami.  I don't get all the hate for the first two.  Wild Honey is perfect!

Thank you, thank you, thank you jimyjazz! I will be eternally grateful to you for defending those 2 songs. I joined this forum in November and I have been wondering why there is such a hatred for those songs!!   I got tired of defending them so I started to just stay away from those threads.  Oh and for what it's worth-I love to dance to Boots! I have defended this one is an earlier post as well.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Elevation? (WTF?)

Elevation and Tripped through your Wires?  Whoever suggested those as being worse than Boots should give up their U2 fan card.  Boots is not their best but it is better than the 8 songs I listed above.

If you're referring to me with respect to Elevation, I never said I thought it was their owrst song (I don't). I said the lyrics have less meaning than Boots, which they do. Plus why should anyone who dislikes a U2 song that you like "give up their U2 fancard"? That's ridiculous.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2009, 09:04:27 AM »
Elevation? (WTF?)

If you're referring to me with respect to Elevation, I never said I thought it was their owrst song (I don't). I said the lyrics have less meaning than Boots, which they do. Plus why should anyone who dislikes a U2 song that you like "give up their U2 fancard"? That's ridiculous.

NO, already! The song rocks! played the whole album yesterday on a 2 hour drive to NY and back. Loved it!