Author Topic: Is Boots the worst song U2 have ever recorded?  (Read 14428 times)

andyt

Re: Is Boots the worst song U2 have ever recorded?
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2009, 03:15:31 AM »
Ok, let's put it this way. You may feel Boots has some redeeming features but does anyone actually love it?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 03:20:00 AM by andyt »

Offline vertigo5000

• Babyface
  • Stewing in my own juices
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »
I plan on getting that
'Let me in the sound' shirt for the 360 tour when I go

I love Boots, its the little brother of Vertigo
its such a weird song
"you dont know how beautiful you are"
the lyrics dont make sense even knowing that its about women being in power

I love the energy and the fact that its a proper rock song - a rare U2 thing

Might just miss out on my top 10 though :)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2009, 12:57:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"When the Levee Breaks" never crossed my mind when I heard Boots

of course it isn't.  you're too busy thinking of WTLB every time you hear the exact same drum beat in Miami.  total rip off.

The song that rips off the WTLB drum intro is In My Place by Coldplaygiarism.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2009, 07:40:54 AM »
Boots is a great fun tune. And it manages to sound different enough. Weird that it wasn't an easy tune to like. Perhaps not the best lead off single for an album. But to me it was the Grammys performance that hurt them. Not their performance as a band, but the Sound was horrible and one should never put all their lyrics on a screen unless it's meant to be funny and karaoke. Plus it seemed that we've seen it all before. Oh well..."Magnificent" should be awesome.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »
I loved it straight away from the first time I heard it. The riff, the chorus with the harmonies and especially the 'Let Me In The Sound refrain. It's just a fun rock n roll song like Vertigo or Discotheque.

Offline ThatStutterSound

• Babyface
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »
It's clearly a failure commercially. A leadoff single is supposed to generate interest in the album. Boots had the opposite effect, which is a shame since NLOTH is a strong U2 album.

It's no where NEAR either Vertigo or Discoteque, 2 truly great singles. Both of those pumped up sales of HTDAAB and POP, which are inferior U2 albums.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Ok, let's put it this way. You may feel Boots has some redeeming features but does anyone actually love it?

I love it.

You don't have to hate a song just because it's catchy. Plus, I think it fits in pretty well when listening to the album from start to finish.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »
i didn't like it when i heard the snippet. but i started loving it from the first time i heard it in full.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »

I was listening to the new album today and was loving Magnificent, Moment etc etc.

Then GOYB came on - I honestly think (and this includes some of ATYCLB and HTDAAB) that GOYB is the worst song U2 have ever made.

It's text book 'big single' stuff but with some of the worst lyrics I've heard from anyone - ever. Musically, it's trying the punk stuff that Vertigo pulled off way better.

The only bit that works for me is the 'get me in the sound' part - perfectly crafted for stadiums across the globe.

Can anyone think of a worse U2 song?

Trip Through Your Wires

#@!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
I don't think Boots is the worst.... It's a tough song for me to judge, too.

It's tough because I think the lyrics help it and hurt it at the same time.  I really don't care much for the whole "Get on Your Boots" chorus, but the rest of the song isn't too bad.  I do find it catchy, and for my listening,  it seems to stand ahead of Elevation. Heck, Desire, Elevation, Discotheque, and even Vertigo are songs that I liked but got tired of, especially Desire and Elevation.

At the same time, I am also not sure I could choose a worst U2 song.  Grace or Wild Honey may be.  I almost always skip those two, although I also skip Stuck in a Moment and The Sweetest Thing which bugged me after hearing them way too many times and finding their lyrics to be less than stellar.

As for lead singles, I really think No Line on the Horizon would have made the best lead single for this album for what U2 was trying to achieve.  It has a nice tempo, it's easy to sing along to, it has decent lyrics and perhaps more radio appeal for the average music listener.  Of course it isn't the best song on the album, but it definitely works better than Boots.  Breathe is a fantastic song, but I am not sure whether it has the type of appeal that would work for a single.  I suspect though that the appeal will build with that song live.  I can only imagine how great it will end up.

By the way, I think All That You Can't Leave Behind is the only album that I always skip tracks on.  Being a fan of albums, I've pretty much quit listening to that one. No Line so far holds up as a fantastic album for me and I've found items in each song that I really enjoy including Boots. It stands up well with Zooropa, which is my 3rd favorite U2 album (behind AB and JT).  i.e. there are great songs but some could be better.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Worst song, no.

Worst single, perhaps.

Cheers,

J

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »
Ahh! I have to agree with Jick. Not a great pick for the lead single. But it fits  well in the album. And the worst song has to be Unknown Caller, at least it has the most negative threads. :)

Offline perk40

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
So I know that I am jumping in late here but I say Elvis ate America is by far the worst song.  Also what "New Day" the song that Bono did with Wyclef Jean a few years ago.  I know that's not an official U2 song but lets all agree that thing is awful.   

andyt

« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
So I know that I am jumping in late here but I say Elvis ate America is by far the worst song.  Also what "New Day" the song that Bono did with Wyclef Jean a few years ago.  I know that's not an official U2 song but lets all agree that thing is awful.   

Man alive, it's the other way round!

Elvis ate America may not be the best song but at least they were trying something different! Boots is cringe worthy,

joegtheog

« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »

Man alive, it's the other way round!

Elvis ate America may not be the best song but at least they were trying something different! Boots is cringe worthy,

Now THAT'S defending a thread!!!