Author Topic: Is Boots the worst song U2 have ever recorded?  (Read 14110 times)

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
Re: Is Boots the worst song U2 have ever recorded?
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2009, 08:19:40 PM »
Boots is actually elegant once you take time to think about it.

The worst song is 'Sweetest Thing'-- sorry No Love let's one fall-- God or girl.

Offline xtrmntr

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
No, that honor goes to Miracle Drug. 

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »
Boots is not the worst song by any means.

But ever since U2 hit it big in the mid-80's, Boots would have to be the worst first single ever released.  It just can't make top 40 radio like U2's other previous hits.

Cheers,

J

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Boots is not the worst song by any means.

But ever since U2 hit it big in the mid-80's, Boots would have to be the worst first single ever released.  It just can't make top 40 radio like U2's other previous hits.

Cheers,

J

As much as I have to admit it, Jick you actually made sense.  I like Get On Your Boots but after hearing the album, one would think that maybe it was a mistake to have it as the first single. 

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:55 AM »
C'mon, Boots isn't that bad, you people just need to learn to have fun.

andyt

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2009, 03:24:02 AM »
Wow, this has caused some irate messages!

Thanks to you who just passed an opinion on the song and didn't start ranting and raving.

1) I don't like Boots and think it's the worst song U2 have recorded - it's certainly the only one i switch off or skip.

2) I've said I love lots of other U2 songs on this forum - I'll go and see them live too (as I have on every other tour) although i think their stage set this time looks silly.

It's just a balanced view point folks. Or at least my view point.

Offline Jollyroger

• Babyface
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2009, 05:05:40 AM »
Bit rough that song - I have heard worse form them - The whole POP album nearly made me an ex-U2 fan. I chose to gloss over it and never listen to it again.
Achtung baby nearly did it too. But I persavered and hoped one day they come back to the real U2 sound. If they want to experiment relase it as bootlegs. Don't waste my money with trash like POP.

andyt

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:10 AM »
Bit rough that song - I have heard worse form them - The whole POP album nearly made me an ex-U2 fan. I chose to gloss over it and never listen to it again.
Achtung baby nearly did it too. But I persavered and hoped one day they come back to the real U2 sound. If they want to experiment relase it as bootlegs. Don't waste my money with trash like POP.

mmmmmmm, I quite liked POP. At least it was different.

Boots is 'U2's next big single by numbers and with a truly awful lyric'

Offline R3dLight [<33s TJ]

• Elevated
  • Plant a demon seed, you raise a flower of fire
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2009, 06:38:30 AM »
i think People are being waaaaaay too hard on this song, i mean this is like a #1 hit in my school right now, no one in high school knew who u2 was and then they made boots and all my friends are like "i love this band" so....i think bono did it for a reason

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »
"Boots" is the worst 1st single they've ever released, that much I can say. It's however not as bad as I first thought, there are some listenable parts in it... But overall, it's a failed attempt at being cool, a song without any real substance, and not that catchy, at least for a single that is supposed to stir people's attention towards a new album. It also sounds out of place in the album, it disrupts the flow (although it can be said that "Crazy Tonight" is the song that breaks the charm, and "Boots" merely continues the sabotage...).

Anyway, I'm not a fan of both ATYCLB and HTDAAB, so for me there are quite a few songs between them that I would qualify as weak as "Boots". "When Love Comes to Town" is also weaker, musically (although there's some good lyrical lines in it).

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2009, 11:27:20 AM »

I was going to respond to another posting until i got to this one...and I threw up in my mouth a little.  I'll grant you Pop had issues (as i've pointed out numerous times here, even the band has disavowed this album to some degree) but Achtung Baby?  man, you clearly got off the train after Rattle & Hum, huh?  I will admit that the first time I heard The Fly I didn't think it sounded very U2-y but in hindsight, it's an awesome extension of that Joshua Tree sound and VERY MUCH classic U2. 

i still can't believe someone would say that about AB.  wow.

as for my initially intended post, it goes to Jick....

Perhaps you see an absolute correlation between whether a single is good and whether it does well in the charts.  I think we can all agree that a pre-release single is INTENDED to do well in the charts and that if it doesn't do well there, it can be deemed a strategic failure.  But it doesn't mean it is a bad song.  They could release BAD right now and it wouldn't do well on the charts.  but we all know it's their greatest song.

Offline achtunged333

• Babyface
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
There is no doubt .. it is the worst song U2 could have ever come up with..  its a bit of a shame  . . especially when you realize how good the rest of the songs are. .  U2 say that they are trying to win the young crowd and you can't possibly do that with this substandard crap

andyt

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »

I was going to respond to another posting until i got to this one...and I threw up in my mouth a little.  I'll grant you Pop had issues (as i've pointed out numerous times here, even the band has disavowed this album to some degree) but Achtung Baby?  man, you clearly got off the train after Rattle & Hum, huh?  I will admit that the first time I heard The Fly I didn't think it sounded very U2-y but in hindsight, it's an awesome extension of that Joshua Tree sound and VERY MUCH classic U2. 

i still can't believe someone would say that about AB.  wow.

as for my initially intended post, it goes to Jick....

Perhaps you see an absolute correlation between whether a single is good and whether it does well in the charts.  I think we can all agree that a pre-release single is INTENDED to do well in the charts and that if it doesn't do well there, it can be deemed a strategic failure.  But it doesn't mean it is a bad song.  They could release BAD right now and it wouldn't do well on the charts.  but we all know it's their greatest song.

That's a good point about 'Bad' - one of my favourite songs of all time. Wouldn't get very far as a single but then singles, especially from bands like U2, are heavily contrived:

Will it sound good on the radio?
Is it 3 minutes long?
Has it got a big chorus?
Will it win us any extra fans?

This, for me is the problem with U2 these days - it seems to be about demographics, marketing, strategy (as you pointed out) and, as usual, being the biggest.

What's the point?

U2 are capable of writing work like Bad. I just wish they'd get on with it. Boots is, for me, embarrassing.

Offline achtunged333

• Babyface
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
This, for me is the problem with U2 these days - it seems to be about demographics, marketing, strategy (as you pointed out) and, as usual, being the biggest.

What's the point?

U2 are capable of writing work like Bad. I just wish they'd get on with it. Boots is, for me, embarrassing.

I second that ..

Offline B

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »
I am warming, ever so slowly to Boots. (why, is it a classic after all?)

Worst ever has to be Grace or Playboy Mansion ... by far.