Author Topic: Ticket Prices  (Read 4327 times)

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
Ticket Prices
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else is a little 'miffed' as a nice way to put it in regards to the lower level pricing structure?
In the past I have paid 100-165 plus for these same seats( on the last tour) -- in smaller venues. Now it is $250? Plus fees try $280.  Most of the elite do not "BUY" these tickets.  It is the middle class that do.  The same people that have been with them from the start. Many people that also need to pay for parking and a sitter to watch the kids so that they can go to the show. People with money search their network and find the tickets.   What one needs to consider with the general admission prices-- stadiums are much bigger than arenas.  360 tour-- is no 360 degree tour it is relatively the same in set up. Unless they are calling this 360 in terms of getting feedback.  The price is unreasonable. The world is expereriencing the worst economic times it has ever faced.  We are given a wonderful record with a tour that is only reeking of wanting money. Who decided on these prices? I was recently on a committee for a charitable organization that had a very hard time getting people to spend even $10 for box seats at several sold out concerts.  $10!!!!! Because I was unable to attend a Springsteen show I had to sell tickets for half of their face value close to the concert. Times ARE hard and many of us have been waiting for good entertainment to come around that is not priced in this fashion-- kind of expecting U2 to do that.  $30-- a token gesture, when the seats are up in th highest level, behind the stage and at the far end of the football stadum.  Which is Much bigger than any arena.

PS-- since I am still paying off from the last tour the CC will not be coming out for this one.  It also appears that they played at the appropriate 1st venue in America a week ago. I think many people might be thinking this.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:15:48 PM by whitewave »

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Ticket Prices
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
I agree that the $250 price is ridiculous, but please don't say this is the worst economic times the world has ever faced. That is more ridiculous than $250 tickets.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:07 PM »
2nd to the Great Depression.  I simply know too many people that are unemployed and too many that have lost their homes to consider it otherwise.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:52:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2nd to the Great Depression. 

If you only consider the 20th century

Offline TitleTrack

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:17 AM »
actually the 1907 panic which brought about the Fed Reserve was much worse.  Looks like the 1981 recession will be worse too  close call though. 19th century had many panics worse than this.  Besides look at all the cheap creature comforts we have.  Being "poor" today in a western society is like living like a king.

Offline Zimmy

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
I also think the so-called lowered prices are kinda ridiculous. Which is why I won't be going to any concert. I'm in a situation where I don't have a secure job, and though I could afford the $30 tickets, I don't think it's worth it to be in crappy seats. But, I don't think the ones without secure jobs are U2's target audience when it comes to tours. So, it's alright.

andyt

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:40:11 AM »

Yes, I usually don't believe the hype in the press and the news stories.

But, things are pretty bad - at least in the UK. Even London which is usually immune has been hit.

I know lots of people who have lost their jobs.

It's always a problem when rich rock stars still want to be the 'biggest grossing tour' at the expense of people who want to see them.

I dare say if Bono and co shaved a few million off the profits from these concerts we'd all benefit. And he'd still make more money in the coming year than I'll make in my lifetime.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Not sure about seating on this tour as I only ever buy GA . But GA Ticket prices for most venues has been around the 50 mark which is the same as Vertigo so after 4 years the price is still the same, which is pretty good value.
HOWEVER, I bought GA's for Nice this morning and was shocked to see they were 87 euros each !!! Why the discrepancy in price, I don't know...but this price will pretty much guarantee tickets being available in the public sale, if anyone wants to go......

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 08:09:39 PM »
@whitewave - 
I think they've given fair range of prices for tix and in keeping GA's at around $55 for a number of years. Pricing is supply and demand, and U2 are extremely popular.  Costs of touring esp. with their staging setups, is extremely expensive also, and they're in it to make money as a business, not lose money.  They're also not a charitable foundation, they're entertainers, and this is not essential service, food or shelter that we're talking about! 

On $30 for lousy seats?  Not for me, no thanks but it does serve those who can only afford that.

On affordability of better seats + the global economy & your take on upper vs. middle class & fanbase - I'd argue whether or not the fanbase is mainly "middle class".  Its a range of ages, demographics and income levels, including rich or upper middle class, as well as lower income and students.  There's also casual fans that can afford it or are just curious to "be there" at a u2 concert, like an event, and while that can be buzzkill for energy, tickets are available to anyone that can afford them. 

All in all, no it isn't cheap by any means, to buy tickets and like any commercial enterprise, money talks.  You either can afford it, save, sacrifice other things, or put it on credit card.  Its a matter of priorities for a fan, and there's certainly lots of people here, that travel to one or more shows, with GA or higher priced seats.   

I think the bigger problem for fans is that the general ticketing system being conglomerates, the broking and scalping, and international internet access make for even more difficulty getting tix and making highly inflated prices.  The band's fansite is trying to combat that but U2 could argubly do more without losing money in their bottom lines.  I doubt that will happen however, given their new association with LiveNation/ TM merger.

Peace.  And good luck getting tix that you want at face! 

PS - Sorry if that sounds harsh, ww & I do wish you luck! 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:39:07 PM by p8ru2 »

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
2nd to the Great Depression.  I simply know too many people that are unemployed and too many that have lost their homes to consider it otherwise.

Oh please.  It was worse in the early 80s when you look at unemployment.  Don't buy into the rhetoric.  Inflation was worse in the 70s.  Now the government can certainly exacerbate it.  That's what happened in the 1930s.  FDR's policies prolonged the Depression and made it Great.  We're trying the same thing now.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:55 PM »
In the 80's I was raising a young family on a very limited income.  Jobs were scarce. This is worse than the 80's especially when you realize that established people have lost their retirement and people were not being foreclosed on and claiming bankrupcy at the rate that is occurring now.  People are coming out of retirement because they have lost their life savings. My Mother lived thru the depression and she is battening down the hatches.  Secondly in the late 80's early 90's I paid $25 for good seats ( not GA) for U2 close to the stage.  Yes $30 is reasonable but I would not pay that for crap seats. I know-- it is my choice. I do not have a problem with that.  I guess what actually bothers me is they HAVE actually become about the Business with the tour.  I do understand that tours cost a lot of money. But for the same tickets that cost $165 in 2005 in smaller venue are now approaching double the face value and are, in actuallity, further from the stage than before puts a greater divide between them and the audience. Frankly I know that they are not a charitable organization, but am deeply saddened that I am starting to realize that they are not walking the walk of what they stand for and what they sing about.  I do not think they should be poor-- by no means! They have worked hard, but take a look at the size of a stadium and the size of an arena, add up the dollar figures.  I love the album, they make fantastic music.  But with the facts of the tour are being 'Acrobats'.  I will not be looking at any face value of any ticket.  Last tour I went to four concerts. Three of which involved travel and total tickets purchased were 8 all at the $165 mark.  That is just the ticket price, that does not include the hundreds of dollars spent on souvenirs.  The additional money that was brought into each of the cities travelled to.   Frankly since the details of the tour have come out I have found myself listening to the album less and less. They just lost a customer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:45:48 PM by whitewave »

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

PS-- since I am still paying off from the last tour the CC will not be coming out for this one.  It also appears that they played at the appropriate 1st venue in America a week ago. I think many people might be thinking this.

You're just now paying off your tickets from the last U2 tour?  The one 4 years ago?  That's ridiculous - tickets to that tour weren't more than like $50 for GA.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

You're just now paying off your tickets from the last U2 tour?  The one 4 years ago?  That's ridiculous - tickets to that tour weren't more than like $50 for GA.
Family of three on a trip to Hawaii to see the band-- tickets, hotel and food.  It was actually Dec 06.

Offline fly girl

• Babyface
  • I still haven't found what I'm looking for
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 03:35:40 AM »
I don't think they've got it right here, the highest prices are madness.  OK they are trying by giving cheap tickets, but they seem to be the pits of the seats.  The GAs are good value indeed, but to get a good seat 150. 

Just because people are struggling with money why do they have to be left with the rubbish?  I know at least they can get there, but it seems to make a point of making a big divide between rich and poor, which is not what U2 is about.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:04:56 AM »
I don't think they've got it right here, the highest prices are madness.  OK they are trying by giving cheap tickets, but they seem to be the pits of the seats.  The GAs are good value indeed, but to get a good seat 150. 

Just because people are struggling with money why do they have to be left with the rubbish?  I know at least they can get there, but it seems to make a point of making a big divide between rich and poor, which is not what U2 is about.

No, they are about making a big divide between you and your money.

I truly think that maybe their South-of-France lifestyle is finally putting them out of touch a bit, and letting McGuinne$$ roam free and do his lying-his-ass-off thing to sell the tour isn't helping either.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:00:26 AM by JuniorEmblem »