Author Topic: Ticket Prices  (Read 4330 times)

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
Re: Ticket Prices
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ya know eventually if the ticket prices get higher and higher and middle class people cant afford them and so many people go that nobody is close to the band, they will have to use a halogram concert, like from Star Wars, and project little halograms all over the arena of them playing so its like you are right there next to them. Crazy i know. Its my sci-fi mind.

The cheapest seats are close to the band.

Whatever.  This is so retarded.  You can be 5 feet away from the biggest band in the world for 55 quid.  Stop whining.

No, they're not, they're the furthest away.

Plus there's a LOT more expensive seats than there are cheap,

Floor tickets are very plentiful and they are very cheap.

But not cheapest. And not as plentiful as the non GA.

This is so stupid.  You can be 5 feet away from the stage for 55 quid.  How can U2 do any better than that? 

Dude, relax, my only point was when yousaid they were the cheapest seats, they're not.

Not too many people will be 5 feet away, jeez even if you're front row you're at LEAST 10 feet away, very few people in a stadium will be even as close as the WORST seats in an arena, and they'll be paying MORE for that 'privelege' than they paid th elast arena tour.

All you're doing is just putting on a nice dress on this particular pig, but it's still a pig.

You can too be 5 feet from the stage.  Would you like to see some pictures?  My girl at the time actually touched Bono's hand.

Offline Zimmy

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »
The only thing I've found annoying is it seems people without too much cash only have two options: GA or really crappy seats. So, if we can't do GA we're basically screwed. That's what completely turned me off about this. Has it always been this way? I don't know, does someone with more concert experience want to answer this for me? Maybe I'm just too young and don't have the right perspective, maybe this has always been the U2 thing to do and I didn't know.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »

Family of three on a trip to Hawaii to see the band-- tickets, hotel and food.  It was actually Dec 06.

So let me clarify this - you chose to go see U2 at one of the most expensive destinations in the world.  Probably spent at least $800 per person on roundtrip airfare, at least $400 a day on hotel and other expenses for a grand total of (at least) around $5500.  I'm assuming the trip was only 5 days.

And you're complaining about U2's ticket prices?  Seriously?  The tickets were hands down the LEAST expensive part of your trip.

Look don't get me wrong - I will criticize U2 when warranted.  Look at my Blackberry avatar for crying out loud.  But to knock U2 for their ticket prices is ridiculous.  U2 are being OVERLY generous here.  Touts and scalpers buy their artificially low tickets and resell them for 2 to 4 times face value.  U2 are leaving money on the table for those who are fortunate enough to get tickets at face value.

I hope I don't come off as a jerk, but I don't think it's fair of you to go see U2 in Hawaii and then act like it's their fault that you're still paying off you CC bill.  You had literally hundreds of other cheaper options for seeing them.

In fact, beyond setting their face values at literally 25% to 33% of fair market value, U2 also went so far as to schedule a plethora of tour dates, literally trying to saturate the market with supply.  They scheduled dates in obscure locations so that if you couldn't get tickets to Denver you could instead see them in someplace like Boise or Little Rock where tickets at face value were attainable. 

Instead of flying your family to Hawaii and dropping $5 or $6 grand, you could have driven to Dallas/Phoenix/Portland (whichever is closest) and spent $55 per ticket and invested 6 hours and been within 5 feet of Bono for the entire concert.  You made the decisions that you made - it's not fair to blame the band for them.

Actually Saint Mike the trip for that was for much less than your estimate, I do know how to spend wisely-- secondly I am not upset about what I paid previously. It was well worth it. I would pay for that again! Along with the 3 other shows I went to on the last tour and all of the previous tours I have gone to. I am only stating that the price for the exact same seats--( $165 vs $250) which are actually further away from the stage have risen in price by an estimated 52% in 2 years.  I do agree the price for GA is reasonable, that did not go up very much, but again it is also a bigger space of GA ( more volume to fill). 
Think about it-- Arenas not including floor space hold app. 20,000 people; stadiums not including floor hold approximately 40,000. 
If you also take a look at most of the other seating prices you will find they have gone up in a similar fashion. Once again they are all further from the stage than in an arena.  Last tour for arenas-- they did 2 nights on average.  The band seemed energized and the people enjoyed it.  So why the change and why the steep increase in price overall?

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I'm with Saint Mike here ( albeit a softer version! lol) 

@Zimmy - The secret to any concert going when you're young ( and perhaps less flush) is to see new up & coming bands, at cheaper prices, and/or pick & choose your concerts, and save for one or more quality shows in a year, rather than trying to see many concerts.  When you're older and perhaps more flush, then you can splurge on one or more concerts.   Its harder to see and afford to splurge once you have a family & all the expenses that go with that or other obligations but people find a way or they make their priorities ( as in when younger  - eg. picking & choosing &/or saving).

U2 ticket pricess are no higher than the majority other bands at this stage & at each stage in their career (with very few exceptions). 
(ie) When starting out, tix were cheap, as was staging (costs etc).  Demand was much lower and venues were much smaller & more intimate.
Now, 30 yrs later, their tix are relative to other similar popular bands (eg) Stones, Springsteen, Madonna etc, and its amazing that they still do arena shows, like in 2005, b/c everyone knows they can fill stadiums fairly easily & normally with multiple shows in big cities.   

Here's what Madonna's charging currently at O2 London, and I know the Stones charged very high prices on their last tour. 
LEVEL 1:  110.00 - 175.00
FLOOR SEATING:  175.00
LEVEL 4 :65.00 - 110.00

In fact U2's current lower to mid priced seats  are much lower than other bands, and lower than what I paid last year to see them (U2)! 
( $30, $55 & $95 USD in N. America; respectively alot higher in Euros)

Last year for Vertigo, I lucked out and paid $189. Cdn (face, all in) to be 1st level in an arena.  Well worth it.  I'd have liked to be closer or GA but my sightline & the sound was fantastic.
I paid more than that for the ZOOTV tour, b/c I had "Hot seats" membership which was about $200 + GA, about 12th row.  Again, well worth it.
I can't remember how much I paid for JT tour (alzheimers! LOL), but I had floor again.   
This year I'm split over which tix I'm going for but its likely GA or first level seats.  This year theres three options on 1st level, only 2 if you discount the crap seats.  These are at minimum 50% cheaper than what I paid last year at FACE, and the $250 tix are 25% more expensive, closer to the stage. 

@whitewave & others -  I don't begrudge any family holiday combined with concert, and having a family has major financial expense.  You went to multiple shows last year aside from the one in Hawaii, so perhaps you can pare down to one show locally.
Irrespective of the pricing differences between countries and what you've stated from $165-250, there are 1st level seats at $95 (cheaper) and $55 GA floor.  So there's options, and yes, you can be close in GA even in a stadium. 

I have been a major fan for 30 yrs and gone to 3 U2 concerts, and this'll be my 4th.  I have never travelled to a U2 show and I'm fine with that.   :)  That's been what I've been able to afford & spend & I'm happy & satisfied about that.  Each concert has been special and they're my favorite band.  I don't need to go to multiple shows (although I'd love that) and I don't begrudge those who do, and can afford it.  To each their own, and people have different priorities and obligations.  To me, that's a luxury, and if you can afford it (without going into literal debt) then good for you! 

That said, I think its unfair to blast the band for not completely accomodating your expectations of them to lower the best seats, on loyalty and love or fan appreciation alone.  They're doing that to an extent, and to do that across the board or to base their decisions purely on fan "want" is just unrealistic. 

Peace! 

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »
Not sure about seating on this tour as I only ever buy GA . But GA Ticket prices for most venues has been around the 50 mark which is the same as Vertigo so after 4 years the price is still the same, which is pretty good value.
HOWEVER, I bought GA's for Nice this morning and was shocked to see they were 87 euros each !!! Why the discrepancy in price, I don't know...but this price will pretty much guarantee tickets being available in the public sale, if anyone wants to go......

Yeah I just got some GA tix for Nice too, & was a bit suprised by the 87.50Eur price. Bono has previously stated (or so I've been told), that on this tour, the more expensive seats are subsidizing the price of cheaper tickets. Thus large numbers of more expensive tickets would help reduce the price of GA's (and allow for the 30Eur tix). Nice's stands only hold 8,000 people (a decent portion of these seats are the 30Eur seats). So there just wasn't enough 160Eur seats to drive down the prices of the GA tix.

Offline Zimmy

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »

@Zimmy - The secret to any concert going when you're young ( and perhaps less flush) is to see new up & coming bands, at cheaper prices, and/or pick & choose your concerts, and save for one or more quality shows in a year, rather than trying to see many concerts.  When you're older and perhaps more flush, then you can splurge on one or more concerts.   Its harder to see and afford to splurge once you have a family & all the expenses that go with that or other obligations but people find a way or they make their priorities ( as in when younger  - eg. picking & choosing &/or saving).

Yea, I'm beginning to think that since I'm young and poor, I'll just stick with the concerts I know I can afford. Like, Bob Dylan. When I saw him, it was $50 for good seats, and I was close enough where I felt like he was actually looking at me! So, U2 can just be my 'listen to their cd' band. As much as I'd love to see them in concert again, I'm just not the audience they're looking for or want.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
I'm just going to put this concert on my credit card and then pay well over $250 in fees the next 3 years and then proceed to say I don't have enough for a ticket the next time they tour. It's going to be awesome and logical.

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
I saw U2 in LA on the Vertigo tour and the $ then was very good for British Sterling.I paid about 70 for two tickets.I flew to San Francisco with my sister and my penpal of 20yrs from the old Propaganda mag picked us up.We've traded vacations over the years but this was the first time that we'd actually been to a U2 gig together.We drove down to LA, got a great spot near the stage and the guys were incredible.We drove back to SF the day after then my sister's Propaganda penpal met up with us and the four of us then flew to Hawaii for a 6 day vacation.The Hawaiian vacation was processed for us by another long-time Propaganda friend who works for Disney as a travel agent.I think I paid less than 500 the trip to Hawaii and that included flights and hotel in Honolulu and flight to Maui and 5 days accommodation there. It was well worth the money spent.It's great to have connections with fellow U2 fans, you never know when they come in handy  :D

Offline mrsmagnificent

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
U2 360 Tour

Is this the average price of a ticket?

Could have bought 2 tickets today from Live Nation.  150 EACH with a 13 booking fee EACH (WTF?  How do they get away with this?) for frankly crap seats.

Decided not to bother.  Instead I will willingly pay 150 - 200 for 2 GA tickets on eBay or from a scalper. This way I get a great spot for a cheaper price.

U2 have certainly pushed me into the arms of the ticket touts this time