Author Topic: Ticket Prices  (Read 4401 times)

Offline fly girl

• Babyface
  • I still haven't found what I'm looking for
Re: Ticket Prices
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
Hmm yes, I have to agree.  They are too 'celebrity' and don't always get it.  I like what they do and don't think they are not genuine for one minute in what they believe, but they just don't get it.  They really need to rethink themselves and the message they are getting across.  As much as I love them, when Bono says money is not important, I cannot help but look at his huge home, hearing he flies a hat out to Italy, has houses who knows where and want to ask him to give it all up.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the 80's I was raising a young family on a very limited income.  Jobs were scarce. This is worse than the 80's especially when you realize that established people have lost their retirement and people were not being foreclosed on and claiming bankrupcy at the rate that is occurring now.  People are coming out of retirement because they have lost their life savings. My Mother lived thru the depression and she is battening down the hatches.  Secondly in the late 80's early 90's I paid $25 for good seats ( not GA) for U2 close to the stage.  Yes $30 is reasonable but I would not pay that for crap seats. I know-- it is my choice. I do not have a problem with that.  I guess what actually bothers me is they HAVE actually become about the Business with the tour.  I do understand that tours cost a lot of money. But for the same tickets that cost $165 in 2005 in smaller venue are now approaching double the face value and are, in actuallity, further from the stage than before puts a greater divide between them and the audience. Frankly I know that they are not a charitable organization, but am deeply saddened that I am starting to realize that they are not walking the walk of what they stand for and what they sing about.  I do not think they should be poor-- by no means! They have worked hard, but take a look at the size of a stadium and the size of an arena, add up the dollar figures.  I love the album, they make fantastic music.  But with the facts of the tour are being 'Acrobats'.  I will not be looking at any face value of any ticket.  Last tour I went to four concerts. Three of which involved travel and total tickets purchased were 8 all at the $165 mark.  That is just the ticket price, that does not include the hundreds of dollars spent on souvenirs.  The additional money that was brought into each of the cities travelled to.   Frankly since the details of the tour have come out I have found myself listening to the album less and less. They just lost a customer.

Heya whitewave - Further to what I posted previously,  I'm sorry to hear that you're so disappointed in them that they've lost you as a customer and fan ( and others here).   :-[   I hope that isn't true! 

I didn't elaborate on the economy, as I had to log off yesterday, so my apologies - It is tough out there for many, and for you also, and I'd say its much worse than previous recessions, with the foreclosures and job losses.   I'm sorry you're still paying off the Hawaii '06 tour & family vacation also. 

I do think it could be a mistake economically, that U2 are choosing to do a stadium tour this time around, as you're right, the seats are further away and its more challenging than ever to get decent seats at a decent price.    And I can see how that looks bad or greedy, having a big elaborate tour in these economic times.  It could be fairly optimistic that they're going to sell out and with the multiple stadium shows but contrary to what one would think, they're adding shows (eg. Milan, Croke Pk).  Its hard to know if that's fans and regular people buying the tix or all the brokers and scalpers being greedy and hopeful that the demand is there.   

That said, my personal preference is for arena shows.  When I look at other top headliners and the ticket prices for those, U2 tickets cost often much less at face. 

Anyway, all I'm saying is that given the economy and your situation, is one show with moderate seats  ( not crap) not enough?   There's seats at $95 as well as the GAs at $55.  I think that's pretty reasonable and affordable for most. 

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »

Family of three on a trip to Hawaii to see the band-- tickets, hotel and food.  It was actually Dec 06.

So let me clarify this - you chose to go see U2 at one of the most expensive destinations in the world.  Probably spent at least $800 per person on roundtrip airfare, at least $400 a day on hotel and other expenses for a grand total of (at least) around $5500.  I'm assuming the trip was only 5 days.

And you're complaining about U2's ticket prices?  Seriously?  The tickets were hands down the LEAST expensive part of your trip.

Look don't get me wrong - I will criticize U2 when warranted.  Look at my Blackberry avatar for crying out loud.  But to knock U2 for their ticket prices is ridiculous.  U2 are being OVERLY generous here.  Touts and scalpers buy their artificially low tickets and resell them for 2 to 4 times face value.  U2 are leaving money on the table for those who are fortunate enough to get tickets at face value.

I hope I don't come off as a jerk, but I don't think it's fair of you to go see U2 in Hawaii and then act like it's their fault that you're still paying off you CC bill.  You had literally hundreds of other cheaper options for seeing them.

In fact, beyond setting their face values at literally 25% to 33% of fair market value, U2 also went so far as to schedule a plethora of tour dates, literally trying to saturate the market with supply.  They scheduled dates in obscure locations so that if you couldn't get tickets to Denver you could instead see them in someplace like Boise or Little Rock where tickets at face value were attainable. 

Instead of flying your family to Hawaii and dropping $5 or $6 grand, you could have driven to Dallas/Phoenix/Portland (whichever is closest) and spent $55 per ticket and invested 6 hours and been within 5 feet of Bono for the entire concert.  You made the decisions that you made - it's not fair to blame the band for them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:22:30 AM by SaintMike »

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
Ya know eventually if the ticket prices get higher and higher and middle class people cant afford them and so many people go that nobody is close to the band, they will have to use a halogram concert, like from Star Wars, and project little halograms all over the arena of them playing so its like you are right there next to them. Crazy i know. Its my sci-fi mind.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 12:20:31 PM »
Ya know eventually if the ticket prices get higher and higher and middle class people cant afford them and so many people go that nobody is close to the band, they will have to use a halogram concert, like from Star Wars, and project little halograms all over the arena of them playing so its like you are right there next to them. Crazy i know. Its my sci-fi mind.

The cheapest seats are close to the band.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »

No, they're not, they're the furthest away.

Plus there's a LOT more expensive seats than there are cheap,

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »

Floor tickets are very plentiful and they are very cheap.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »
55 for General Admission + 6 per ticket service charge + 5 Secure Delivery in the UK

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:12 PM »
I've never been to a giant u2 show, how the hell do you go to the bathroom, dont you miss like 4 songs just getting outta there and waiting in line?

mariamontreal

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 01:15:20 PM »
It's definetly not as enjoyable and personal as the arenas . And you really have a point Washrooms -NIGHTMARE , there goes having any liquid refreshments !

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »

But not cheapest. And not as plentiful as the non GA.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »
I've never been to a giant u2 show, how the hell do you go to the bathroom, dont you miss like 4 songs just getting outta there and waiting in line?

Ah the joys of the stadium show.............gross as it may sound I know plenty of folks who have just gone there and then in large GA Stadium/festival environments after they work hard to get a decent spot and don't want to leave, and ladies, you WILL be groped....

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 01:51:37 PM »

Whatever.  This is so retarded.  You can be 5 feet away from the biggest band in the world for 55 quid.  Stop whining.

This is so stupid.  You can be 5 feet away from the stage for 55 quid.  How can U2 do any better than that? 

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »

Whatever.  This is so retarded.  You can be 5 feet away from the biggest band in the world for 55 quid.  Stop whining.

This is so stupid.  You can be 5 feet away from the stage for 55 quid.  How can U2 do any better than that? 

Dude, relax, my only point was when yousaid they were the cheapest seats, they're not.

Not too many people will be 5 feet away, jeez even if you're front row you're at LEAST 10 feet away, very few people in a stadium will be even as close as the WORST seats in an arena, and they'll be paying MORE for that 'privelege' than they paid th elast arena tour.

All you're doing is just putting on a nice dress on this particular pig, but it's still a pig.

joegtheog

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

They cant.  Some people will never be pleased.  the only alternative for U2 at this stage in their career is to stage 5 or more night stand at arenas in every city.  And even then, people will complain that they played 5 nights and didnt play (insert song here). Or that they tickets were still too expensive.  They can't win with the elitist bourgeoisie who think that U2 should give everything away for free. They're already adding stadium dates in Europe. The demand is there.  If people dont like it, dont go see em.  And if the details of the tour stop you from enjoying the album, then that sounds like a personal problem.