Author Topic: Would anyone like to hear streets at the start of a gig?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Would anyone like to hear streets at the start of a gig?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »
No. Streets belongs at the climax of the set, not the beginning. It's the emotional high point of a U2 show; the guys know much better than to front-load their set like that. I prefer them to come out and blow us away with stuff we've never heard them play live before. I expect at least two tracks from NLOTH to kick off the show. (I'd prefer three, but knowing they like to play it safe I wouldn't be surprised if they put Beautiful Day or Vertigo as track #3 to keep the crowd fired up.) My ideal setlist would start off with a searing five-song set from the new album, but understanding the balance they strive to achieve I'll be fine with two, fairly certain that at least three or maybe four out of the first five or six songs will be from NLOTH. But Streets at the beginning? It'll probably never happen, and I think that's probably a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:08:34 AM by globaljosh »

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It would be cool to see, but I don't think they ever will. U2 prides themselves with being current. They always open up a concert with a song off the most recent album. If they opened with streets, it would be looked at like they can't write good music anymore. Most of the people on this forum wouldn't think that, but casual listeners might see it that way (e.g. The Rolling Stones). For U2, I think the opening song is their way of saying they can still write quality music.

They do now.  They didn't always open up with something from the new album.  A few times on JT Streets didn't open up the set and Streets opened up on Lovetown several times.  Since then they've opened with something from the new album.

Streets opened up most of The Joshua Tree but it has since become an emotional high point.  I think it works best towards the end of the main set.

My guess is No Line on the Horizon will open up the show. 

Offline u2boy11

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Miss Holiday Golightly, Traveling.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »
No streets at beginning of set!

It belongs at the heart of the show.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »
It belongs at one end or the other, and nowhere in the middle. Open would be cool,however a new song is usually the normal choice...

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 10:50:25 AM »
at my first ZooTV show (DC August 15 1992), they opened with 6 straight from Achtung Baby and 7 of the first 8.  They didn't play another AB song until Love is Blindness during the encore.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:53:45 PM by Dream Out Loud »

andyt

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »

No, Streets, along with songs like Pride are some of my least favourites. Those big singles never really did it for me. Sunday Bloody Sunday is another one I could do without.

I REALLY hope they play Bad though - maybe the Unforgettable Fire? Mysterious Ways? Bullet the Blue Sky...

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »
ate my first ZooTV show (DC August 15 1992), they opened with 6 straight from Achtung Baby and 7 of the first 8.  They didn't play another AB song until Love is Blindness during the encore.

You got an odd bird.  The usually played Ultraviolet as well in the encore and they did so the second night in RFK Stadium.  

First two legs of that tour they opened up with eight in a row off of Achtung Baby on most nights.  Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Wild Horses, and Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World.  Then Ultraviolet and Love Is Blindness in the encore.  10 out of 12 songs.  

Wild Horses got removed after the first show of Outside Broadcast as a regular and New Year's Day was inserted.

The breakdown of early ZooTV is pretty startling.  10 AB songs.  5 JT songs (Streets, Still Haven't Found, With or Without You, Bullet, and Running to Stand Still).  2 UF songs (Bad and Pride).  3 Rattle and Hum (Angel of Harlem, Desire, and snippets of All I Want Is You at the end of Bad) and one cover (Satellite of Love).  

It wasn't until later that New Year's Day was added.  They also occasionally played Sunday Bloody Sunday.  They also played I Will Follow only a total of 10 times on that tour and only in Europe and Mexico City.  That's the fewest amount that I Will Follow got played on any of their tours by far.

It's just interesting how ZooTV mostly only covered five-six years of history with the band.  It was on the back end when they started adding the Zooropa material that they expanded the setlist.  It was around 20 songs to start the tour and ended up at 22 which is about where they've stayed since then.

I wonder since this is a shorter tour with more time in between the dates, more people at each venue, and a much larger back catalog of songs if they'll expand the setlist again.  I can understand why they wouldn't want to, but I can also imagine that even they can see far more songs they'd want to play.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »
I would rather they don't open with it.  But I think it would be a phenomenal closing song.

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »
ate my first ZooTV show (DC August 15 1992), they opened with 6 straight from Achtung Baby and 7 of the first 8.  They didn't play another AB song until Love is Blindness during the encore.

You got an odd bird.  The usually played Ultraviolet as well in the encore and they did so the second night in RFK Stadium. 

The second night was the first time I heard them play BAD live.  that's all that I remember re: August 16. ahhhhhhh.....

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »
Even if they don't open with it, I think it should still be at the start of encore, with the red background and long intro.

Offline HUNGRYTICKETS

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 06:29:21 PM »
One of my fondest U2 memories was one night during Joshua Tree tour, Nassau Col, NY, I was late getting in, a white-haired usher was trying to check our stubs before allowing us downstairs where our seats were, and the three girls I was with were Freaking-out, Wildly during "Streets". He wanted to see ALL the stubs, they were going nutz...he gave up.

They didn't open with it everynight, though.

Offline EdgeLike

• Stateless
  • http://www.last.fm/user/EdgeLike
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »
I'd like to hear anything considering that I've never heard a U2 song live. Live. :'(