Author Topic: Why no U2 ringtones available on iTunes?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
Why no U2 ringtones available on iTunes?
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »
This is crazy.  I wanted to make a ringtone out of "Magnificent" but it wasn't available.

Then I see that no U2 "chunes" (as Bono calls them) are available.

Is this more 1984 stuff?  East Asia is now our enemy?  They were never our friend.  We are at war with East Asia (Apple).

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
Re: Why no U2 ringtones available on iTunes?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:25:41 PM »
I buy my ringtones from my wireless carrier.  If Magnificent is the next single, it'll be available as a ringtone, soon!

Offline VoxBF

• Wanderer
  • Reboot Yourself
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:04:41 AM »
I recently changed to Bell Mobility Canada and got a Blackberry flip phone. Looking at the ringtunes on the bell.ca website, I was surprised to find "Exclusive U2 Ringtunes". I was then disappointed to see they weren't available for my phone. In addition to many of their other songs, there was a ringtune for EVERY song off of NLOTH. I was this close to having Unknown Caller as my new ringtune!

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:16:02 AM »
Dunno how legal this is (Mods, please let me know if there's a problem and I'll pull it down) but I don't think it infringes copyright so should be ok...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is how I create ringtones for my iPhone. As a warning though, most songs sound pretty funny if you cut them off cold at 40 seconds (the maximum length of a ringtone) - works best if you have some audio editing software so you can select the segment of song you want as a ringtone and add in fade ins and fade outs. E.g., I have "Being Born" as one of my ringtones - removed Fez from the start and then took the first 40secs of Being Born - is a great ringtone.

For audio editing software, try Audacity (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login), a great free open-source program. A word of warning, Audacity will crap itself if you try to edit an AAC/mp4 sound file, so you will need a program to convert to mp3 (there are a bunch of free programs that will do this).

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
Actually Apple is American lol

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »
I go on audiko.net for by ringtones.You may have to hunt around for a bit or wait until someone uploads what you want.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »
I use iTunes to make my ringtones.....totally free.  You have to have the mp3 version of the song so you might have to do the burn/import dance of songs you want to use if you purchased them originally from iTunes.  I can use any part of the song....not just the first 40 seconds. 

Right Click on the song
Click on Info
Click on options tab
Select the start/stop time you want
Click Ok/Close
Right click again....this time select "make mp3 version"
iTunes will create another track with the same title of the section of the song you selected.
Right click again....click on Show in Windows Explorer
In Windows Explorer....right click on the file and select Send to Mail Recipient
Send the file to your phone
On your phone...open/save file as ringtone

Why anyone would pay for ringtones is beyond me.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:32:07 AM »
I use iTunes to make my ringtones.....totally free.  You have to have the mp3 version of the song so you might have to do the burn/import dance of songs you want to use if you purchased them originally from iTunes.  I can use any part of the song....not just the first 40 seconds. 

Right Click on the song
Click on Info
Click on options tab
Click Ok/Close
iTunes will create another track with the same title of the section of the song you selected.
In Windows Explorer....right click on the file and select Send to Mail Recipient

I might be wrong, but don't you have to of bought the song from i tunes itself to use that song as a ringtone?

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 05:25:16 AM »
You do if you want to use iTunes own ringtone feature.  But if you have the file on your computer as an mp3 you can follow the instructions I listed. 

cclark

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 05:54:41 AM »
You could also use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to edit a song you upload to their site. They'll send you the clip to your cellphone.

Right now, this is my You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.   :D

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »

Right Click on the song
Click on Info
Click on options tab
Click Ok/Close

Thanks for the info.....I'm going to try it out!!

joegtheog

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
WOCKA WOCKA WOCKA!!!