Author Topic: Congrats to Matt - U2 A DIARY  (Read 7835 times)

mariamontreal

Congrats to Matt - U2 A DIARY
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
I flew to a beautiful town in Ontario called Ancaster to visit my brother and his family over  the weekend. While I was there I decided to pick up your book . I must say ,very impressive ,& well written. The dateline format of each year, and the material makes excellant reading as well as pertinent information for the  newer  fans to read. I picked up a few bits of information myself that I did not know  , and I truly enjoyed the pictures and material . For those of you who have not read it yet , it is a must . With Xmas around the corner , now would be the perfect opportunity to get it while they last . Hats off Matt. Excellent !
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:59:27 AM by mariamontreal »

mariamontreal

Re: Congrats to Matt - U2 A DIARY
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »
I only realized after I wrote this there was another thread about the book , maybe you could place it in that thread , sorry about the double exposure .

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
Wow, how did I miss this thread? Sorry for seeming to ignore you, mariamontreal -- not at all my intention. I'm super glad that you like the book - thank you. :) Fan response has been terrific. I'm very grateful for that.

mariamontreal

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:47:33 PM »
Very well deserved .

Offline guitarz

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:33 PM »
Thanks mariamontreal for your suggestion/appraisal, I'll put that down on my "wish list" for Christmas.  ;D

And thanks Matt for your time and effort writing this book, I have a feeling I'll enjoy it either as a present or a purchase for myself...  8)

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks mariamontreal for your suggestion/appraisal, I'll put that down on my "wish list" for Christmas.  ;D

And thanks Matt for your time and effort writing this book, I have a feeling I'll enjoy it either as a present or a purchase for myself...  8)

Oh, it is cool... I browsed through it in a bookstore the other day, and it's fantastic!  :D It's going on my Christmas list right away... (It's especially fun finding out what the band was up to on your birthday!)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:33:13 AM »
Awesome - thanks guys! I hope Santa has lots of copies in his bag of goodies, and one for each of you. :)

I'm always happy to get feedback on the book, whether good, bad, or ugly - so please share your thoughts after you've had time to read through it.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 01:11:18 AM »
Matt - wanted to offer support re the article in the Toledo free Express. I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion but its kinda obvious to me he's flicked the book. Am I allowed to say 'tosser' (allegedly) on here!!!!

Like you I've loved the band since the early days and I can see the good and the bad stuff as i know you can. His last comment about bedazzling or something summed up to me he's probably a Haircut 100 fan!!

I've said before and will again - great read - and lets face it its only one guy (by the way I have no idea where Toledo is sitting as I type in a dark, wet and cold Scotland)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »
Thanks, singnomore -- much appreciated. Toledo is a (relatively) small city in Ohio -- not a major metropolis by any means. Those comments about me being "awed" or whatever he said just make me think he didn't bother to read the Introduction, didn't read the Acknowledgments in the back, and didn't realize that I went into a lot more detail on things like Adam's drug arrest in '89 and his alcohol/prostitute bender in '93 than most other books have ever included. If I was "awed" by them, I'd have glossed over that stuff just like many other books have.

But anyway ... life goes on. Can't expect everyone to like what you do.

Thx for the kind words. :)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
Hey singnomore, I'm a Haircut 100 fan  ;)!  Good points Matt. He probably didn't read those parts. You really should read something thoroughly before playing critic. You can accept a negative comment if it comes from someone that has done his/her homework. Film critics do that often as well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:10:03 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
Favourite Shirt = Awesome Song.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
Favourite Shirt = Awesome Song.

OK kinda feeling guilty for taking the '100's name in vain...er..I think!!

I should try wearing that gear in Glasgow - probably will get mugged but hey the things we do to support @U2!!!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
Hi Matt. I just starting reading the book. It looks great. I always read the acknowledgements first. I was very impressed that you made such an effort to mention everyone who helped you on the book. It was so nice of you. As I was reading I noticed you mentioned Caroline from Gavin's site. I know her very well and I was glad to see she was able to help you. You also mentioned one of my favorite books-Caroline's The Light and the Dark Gavin Friday.  I am quite sure your book will be placed on my "favorite books" shelf right along side that one when I am done reading it!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
Hi Matt. I just starting reading the book. It looks great. I always read the acknowledgements first. I was very impressed that you made such an effort to mention everyone who helped you on the book. It was so nice of you. As I was reading I noticed you mentioned Caroline from Gavin's site. I know her very well and I was glad to see she was able to help you. You also mentioned one of my favorite books-Caroline's The Light and the Dark Gavin Friday.  I am quite sure your book will be placed on my "favorite books" shelf right along side that one when I am done reading it!

Thx StrongGirl. :) Hope you continue to enjoy it as you read through the years!

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »
Hey Matt I have just started your book! I hope it is as good as it starts...I am sure it will be!  ;) :P ;)