Author Topic: STREETS-R.I.P? I dont think so...  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
STREETS-R.I.P? I dont think so...
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »
Ive been seeing this song all over the forum. Its been in projected setlists, fav songs live, songs to retire, where should it be in the setlist, etc. You get the point. Ive read positive and negative things about this song. IMO, this is U2's most powerful song LIVE. Emphasis on live. Whether its DVD, IPod, or a live show Ive been to, it still hits me the same everytime. I get chills and a bit of a wet eye. Just a bit. :)  Cheesy sounding, maybe. But Streets (live) hits my soul like no other song can. The intro, the red background, the Edge guitar, the way it brings the crowd together. Powerful s***! It does seem like god has walked through the room, when its played live. (taken the quote away from whatever bandmember said it, I forgot.) So Im making this thread to discuss Streets. (live)  Does it hit you the same way? If not, why and what song does? Should it be retired? Etc..... Please positive and negative posts. Im interested to see both sides. You got my thoughts, so discuss......       

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Re: STREETS-R.I.P? I dont think so...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:44:43 PM »
My favorite live song.  They should never stop performing it.  They can change around whatever else they want, but it's not a U2 concert if they don't play Streets.

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »
Oh, please drop this from the setlist, U2. Or, do an acoustic version. It's time to dream it up again.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »
This is the song that made me love U2. I first heard Street at the Super Bowl in 2002 (I'm a slight newbie, but don't worry, I have their entire back catalogue). I thought to myself, "Who is this band? Why haven't I heard of them? And why is this music giving me chills?" I've only seen U2 live once and Streets was an absolutely incredible part of the concert. It also helps that I'm a runner and the first line of the song is "I want to run!"

If you haven't seen Without Limits (1998), here is the trailer utilizing the long intro of Streets:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You can't go wrong with a combination of running and U2. (Unless of course you hate running, then maybe)

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about it being dropped from the set list. I'm pretty sure they've said something along the lines they would never drop it.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:04:28 AM »
Nothing wrong with being a newbie JJ. I read an article where Edge said it would stay. Bono the same. So I think we're ok. 

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:07:03 AM »
And it is a great workout song JJ.

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:47:57 AM »
I think its one of those songs that has become old, they have worn it out, yes the crowd may like it when it comes on but the crowd would no doubt like to hear other songs in its place if they could. You can do a song so much it loses its spark. I dont think they will drop it but I think they should, replace it with something else. Its had its few decades and more, let it rest in peace.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 04:10:03 AM »
For me "Where the Streets have no Name" is one of U2's greatest classics ans it still gives me the chills. I don't usually listen to bootlegs and also only ocasionally will play the Joshua Tree album, so I've never really got the chance to get tired of it. I personally think they should continue to play it live as long as they live.

But my choice for best U2 live song ever is "Bad". In fact, this could be the best live rock song ever. Pure genius.

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »
Streets should definitely NOT be retired live, although i do wish Bono would take a little more care over singing it. Definitely the most powerful song live, probably the most powerful song full-stop.

Offline Hohat

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »
I completely agree that it needs to stay in the live set, but I think messing with the opening backdrop a la Vertigo Tour really messed it up. It's essential to have the red background and the lights going up just at the right time - with the Elevation and ZooTV tours being the high points for me in that regard!

Offline Dream Out Loud

• Child of Grace
  • I'm Wide Awake....I'm Not Sleeping
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
i seem to remember a quote that they are fully aware the fans would riot if they didn't play Streets.

Offline Walrus

• Stateless
  • Ms. The Walrus to you!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »
If they drop this from the setlist I will most likely whither away and die. :'(

Streets is such a powerful song, it's a classic, they should never stop playing it.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 10:41:02 AM »
If they play this and Sunday Bloody Sunday then I don't care what else they play. Well they should probably play One also.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
An amazing song, although I think they should change it up a bit in the set and move it to either the start ot the end or something just to keep it interesting

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
lol they're not gonna drop it, everyone ion this forum is probably a big U2 fan, and people saying retire it have likely heard it played like 30 times live, but for the rest of the world, seeing u2 first time, or 2 or 3, they're gonna want to hear streets. I'd love to hear acrobat, drowning man, some days or better than others, but lets face it guys, streets will be played (I think iv'e been to 19 shows, and hearing it for the 20th time... well i cant wait, great song and always will be).