Author Topic: STREETS-R.I.P? I dont think so...  (Read 3448 times)

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
Re: STREETS-R.I.P? I dont think so...
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »
Street is such a "moment" live... kinda like Sunday Bloody Sunday used to be... but go back to the long intor with all the red... like ZooTV...
Actually they should probably drop With or Without You. It was the first U2 recod I bought (I was 9) and is one of my favorite songs... but they've lost the mojo on this one. It hasn't been good live since the Joshua Tree tour (when it went on for like ten minutes).
I'd rather see Bad anyday!

Offline One Tree Hill

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »
Heres the problem' streets' is an amazingly uplifting song its a song that is such an awe inspiring opening concert track,slowly pulling you in and building to such crescendo's...also it is one of those songs that can come in on the outro singalongs of another song as they did with the Vertigo tour(well at least at Twickenham England)everyones singing 'All I want is you'..well mainly just the 'you ooh'..and 'streets' crept up on us...
The problem is a couple of things....the boys have been playing it live for over 20years..now as a singer in a covers band myself,songs can lose there shine,not always but sometimes..and its normally the favourite songs that you play night after night..Lord knows how Mick Jagger breathes new life into 'satisfaction' night after night..could be the money incentive more there..anyway............... the main other problem when a band is trying to push their latest album..then some songs have either gotta go or be rotated..or they willl just have to play longer and do all our favourites.............
I think this time round if they do 'streets'..I would love to see it as an encore..yyyyeesesss innndeeeddeeee

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »
I wouldn't feel cheated if it was shelved. But I certainly understand those who consider it U2's anthem. I have the same feeling towards "Bad". I believe that song truly defines U2 as a live act - which is why U2 is U2 - and creates a mood and energy unlike no other song.

Higher up on the "dont play" list, for me, are "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation".

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »
Beautiful Day introduced me to U2, but Streets live at Slane Castle absolutly did it for me. Everytime I hear Bono's epic wail, or even think it, I get goosebumps everytime and even get slightly teary. It just forces your soul free and any/all inner pain that you've might have experienced instantly goes away when I hear his wail.

Just... my god.. :'( And since then I was forever a fan.

Streets represents EVERYTHING U2 is. Streets IS U2. U2's shows would NEVER be the epic experiences they are without it. It represents a turning point, a climax, an entry to the brighter side of life. There's not ONE day that I go out without even listening to Streets at least once! It's taken a VERY specal place in my heart and the hearts of "most" U2 fans.

Whether it's a show or the human heart, Streets always delivers the absolute BEST of U2, full power and no holds bars.

The only other song that I think rivals it is Bad. Also another spirit lifter and I think might have been a precurser to Streets when it was made.

As for songs that should be left off their setlist.. I can't say. I like to think that any song they choose is for the benifit of whatever show they play, wheather people like it or not.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:41:44 PM by unforgettable fire »

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I completely agree that it needs to stay in the live set, but I think messing with the opening backdrop a la Vertigo Tour really messed it up. It's essential to have the red background and the lights going up just at the right time - with the Elevation and ZooTV tours being the high points for me in that regard!

I agree about the version of the song during the Vertigo tour.  I talked about this in another thread.  Drop the African flags.  Go back to the red background and bright lights when the song kicks in.  One of the best openings was during the Elevation Tour.  The lighting in the rig above the stage started to spin and then once that cymbal crashed, it was bright.  Very cool!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »
I completely agree that it needs to stay in the live set, but I think messing with the opening backdrop a la Vertigo Tour really messed it up. It's essential to have the red background and the lights going up just at the right time - with the Elevation and ZooTV tours being the high points for me in that regard!

I agree about the version of the song during the Vertigo tour.  I talked about this in another thread.  Drop the African flags.  Go back to the red background and bright lights when the song kicks in.  One of the best openings was during the Elevation Tour.  The lighting in the rig above the stage started to spin and then once that cymbal crashed, it was bright.  Very cool!

I agree with the African Flags thing, take it out. Personally i think that they should put back to red background, and play it like they first did when they came out with the entrance, except use it to start the second set.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
I agree with whoever previously said that fans who have been to numerous of their concerts wouldn't mind if it was gone.

I'm 18 and was too young to go alone during the previous two tours, as my parents are not huge fans. My other two friends going with me this tour have also never seen U2 live. WE LIVE FOR STREETS =)

Yes, possibly the majority of the audience has seen it more than once. But do you older fans really want to punish the younger fans for coming along later by taking away Streets?  :'(

That said, I would love the all-red background =)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »
It's my favorite U2 song, so obviously I want it to stay and it always does. It's the one song that I feel they should play at every show.

Offline Silver Lining

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 12:43:57 PM »
I read somewhere recently - I think it was an interview with Bono, but I could be mistaken - that Streets was going to be dropped from the Vertigo tour because they couldn't think how to fit it in. It was only when the idea of including it complete with the flags as part of the "long walk to equality" section came about during rehearsals that it was "saved".

Personally, I can think of a long list of songs that I wouldn't mind being dropped in favour of other newer or less frequently heard tracks, but not Streets. It still gives me goosebumps hearing it live, and long may it continue to do so!

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
This is the one song I want to see live. I love this song. I would be upset if they didn't. But I know that they will.

Unforgettable Fire described it perfectly.

Mal

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
I read somewhere recently - I think it was an interview with Bono, but I could be mistaken - that Streets was going to be dropped from the Vertigo tour because they couldn't think how to fit it in. It was only when the idea of including it complete with the flags as part of the "long walk to equality" section came about during rehearsals that it was "saved".

Personally, I can think of a long list of songs that I wouldn't mind being dropped in favour of other newer or less frequently heard tracks, but not Streets. It still gives me goosebumps hearing it live, and long may it continue to do so!

This quote was actually in U2 By U2, Bono said they discussed throwing it out of the setlist as they thought they couldn't do justice to the song after the Elevation Tour, but Adam and Larry basically vetoed this decision and the band looked for a new way to showcase the song.

I'm not at all worried they will find a way to showcase the song with the completely epic stage set they have.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
U2 won't drop Streets -- as much as the band members might sometimes want to give it a rest, it's too much of a "God walking in the room" experience (not just a crowd pleaser) for them to give it up. Now I hope they keep "City of Blinding Lights" around as well, but I'm betting I'll be disappointed on that end.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
Streets has been played in every major concert since 1987, and since then it has consistently been U2's showstopper and kept virtually the same arrangement and melody.

They will surely keep it in the setlist because it is always the pinnacle of the show.

On another note, this is just proof how futile U2 have been over the last 21 years trying to write something that will top Streets.  Even Mullen said in the Knicks game halftime interview that Streets is his favorite song.

21 years on, they still can't write something better.  I guess those who say it was downhill after the Joshua Tree were right, but thank God it was just a gradual hill down (maybe the occasional bunker like POP and Passengers) but they are generally still close to the top of the Joshua Tree pinnacle hill.

Cheers,

J

Offline analogk

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My picture of Edge in 2005.
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
Streets has been played in every major concert since 1987, and since then it has consistently been U2's showstopper and kept virtually the same arrangement and melody.

They will surely keep it in the setlist because it is always the pinnacle of the show.

On another note, this is just proof how futile U2 have been over the last 21 years trying to write something that will top Streets.  Even Mullen said in the Knicks game halftime interview that Streets is his favorite song.

21 years on, they still can't write something better.  I guess those who say it was downhill after the Joshua Tree were right, but thank God it was just a gradual hill down (maybe the occasional bunker like POP and Passengers) but they are generally still close to the top of the Joshua Tree pinnacle hill.

Cheers,

J

???

joegtheog

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 08:06:49 PM »

Cheers,

J

Jick is Don Quixote and POP is his eternal windmill.  I am getting more and more convinced that Jick went to POPMart and the lemon fell on him, causing a recurring trauma of sorts.