Author Topic: Will U2 regret playing stadiums this time around?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Will U2 regret playing stadiums this time around?
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »
I am a long time U2 fan in Toronto who has seen every tour since the Unforgettable fire and going to Dublin for the shows.  I've seen U2 in stadiums and arenas before and loved them both but I question their decision to play stadiums exclusively this time around because of the economic climate.  Even though they had a strong first string of sellouts, it's seems they are having difficulty during the second batch of dates that went on sale.  Other than the Dublin shows that sold out it looks like there are plenty of tickets for the show in Glasgow, Cardiff, Sheffield and even Wembley hasn't posted a sellout.  This poses a question of how well they will do when North America goes on sale.  Hopefully for them it won't turn out to be another Popmart scenario.  I wonder why they didn't come up with two stage designs for stadium and arenas, something like the Stones did on the Bigger Bang Tour so that way they could play arenas in cities that they know they wouldn't be able to fill stadiums.  And we know that they can afford to make 2 stages.  Anyways I guess we will find out next week when we get news when tickets go on sale for North America and i still am getting my tickets for Toronto!!  What are your views?

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Will U2 regret playing stadiums this time around?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »
They won't regret it if it goes well.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »
It's funny that we hold U2 to such a high standard that if they don't sell out a stadium in a day, it's a failure.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »
I don't think it's failure and I even loved popmart tour.  However the media are just waiting for material to write about U2 just liked they pounced on them during the popmart tour and kept writing about all the shows that weren't selling out and how they were canceling shows. 

Offline mrsmagnificent

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »
I think they will regret their pricing structure even more to be honest.  I've just been on Ticketmaster and COULD have bought 2 seated tickets for the Don Valley (Sheffield).  They were on the upper tier and would have cost me 150 EACH with a 6 booking fee EACH.  No way - for that kind of money we could take the kids away for a great weekend somewhere.

I've been a fan for over half my lifetime but sorry lads but I am not that bothered anymore  :-\

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »
I think you just nailed it.  There will be lots of people who want tho see them but it comes down to the pricing.  Once the thirty and fifty dollar seat are sold people will start to question do they really want to go for $90 and $250. 

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's funny that we hold U2 to such a high standard that if they don't sell out a stadium in a day, it's a failure.

Well, U2 kinda started it after the Popmart tour. They they went into Revisionist-history mode about Pop and haven't made as good an album since.

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »
i think that they will sell out in Europe but i'm not so sure about in the US.

i got four standing tickets for Wembley and even that cost me 249. but four top price ticket would have cost 654 :o. in the middle of a credit crunch that it a hell
of alot of money.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »
The 150 price tag is a bit hard to stomach, I can't believe the location on some of these high priced seats. At Hampden 150 gets you 3/4 of the way down the pitch while the stage is at the opposite end around where the goals would be. That is simply not value for money. And not surprisingly these tickets are still for sale. Even worse 85 buys you the opposite end of the stadium to the stage. Although free commemorative binoculars are being supplied.

EdgesDelay

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
The way I see it is if you are daft enough to support Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Celtic or Rangers and Pay 30 or 40 (I'm sure it's more for certain games) per game..... that could be 500 to 1k per season for a season ticket.......... to see that team over a 5year period could cost you up to 5k and that's not even putting into place away games........merchandising.......food.....travel.....etc etc etc.

My 150 x 2 for me and the missus to see U2 this tour is not on the fookin radar compared to watching football!!!

Anything under 100 is a fantastic price to see the best band in the world once in every 5 years! 150 to sit near the stage is even better!!  :)

EdgesDelay

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
"Even worse 85 buys you the opposite end of the stadium to the stage. Although free commemorative binoculars are being supplied."

The thing is...... these are normally the tickets that are left for the ebay fukkers to sell.....and they go for that exact price.

I think it's all a big plan by U2 to stop these ebay whankers fleecing the public............ they'd rather fleece the fans themselves!!!  ;D

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 06:51:30 AM »
i have just read that thease shows are the fastest selling of all time beating jacksons record of last week ???

Offline owls05

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:47 AM »
Ticketline are still selling standing tickets for the Don valley stadium gig. I wish i hadn't queued now. I think they have just got the pricing completely wrong.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for the fastest selling tours in the UK, it was Oasis' stadium tour for this summer.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

But it was beaten a week later by Take That You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I am so proud to be English  :-[

Also look at this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Waitress Natalie Roberts, 24, from Stannington, skipped work to stand in the queue for 15 hours.

"I don't even like U2," she confessed. "I'm buying the tickets to sell on. You have to pay the bills don't you?"

Even if you were doing it, you wouldn't admit it to the media, would you? :^)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:46:39 AM by owls05 »

Offline spgny

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »
Popmart was an "economic" failure...the costs of the tour exceeded the revenues. I think they are at jeopardy of another "economic" failure with consumer sentiment/confidence down, but I think they have learned from PopMart model.....I am sure they have done a more conservative scenario analysis this time....

However, I think they will regret leaving the intimacy of indoor venues....stadiums shows (at least in the US) do not have as intense a vibe as indoors.  I think they will get this out of their system and return to smaller venues when they can command higher ticket prices with less risk......don't forget LiveNation is calling most of the shots since they have put so much money on the line...

hrsan

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »
I think they will have no problem selling out in Europe.

Here in North America, they will definitely sell out Chicago, Boston, New York.  I can only assume for Toronto.  They could probably add one or two more dates in Chicago, Boston and New York.

It's the secondary markets that are questionable.   There were seats available for several Vertigo shows.