Author Topic: u2.com presale members should get scanned into the GA ring...and other tix ideas  (Read 5548 times)

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
This is a terrible idea. Awful. The whole reasoning the scanning for the Ellipse came into being was that U2 were tired of seeing the same faces (re: U2.com member) in the circle every night. The club members have become like the "deadheads" of the 80's following the Grateful Dead all over kingdom come. The Ellipse should be as random as possible, making it possible for all fans, especially some new fans who may have never even seen a U2 show before, to get into the circle. Imagine what a mind blower that would be to someone who has never seen a show!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:18:38 PM by aurabender »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
I am a Horizon pre-sale member and this is my first show. I bet there are quite a few U2 Show Virgins who joined the fanclub.
And so I think this is an excellent idea! ;D 

Birdlover

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Ellipse should be as random as possible, making it possible for all fans, especially some new fans who may have never even seen a U2 show before, to get into the circle. Imagine what a mind blower that would be to someone who has never seen a show!

Totally agree.

In Australia we didn't have the scanning, and I ended up right at the front just through hardcore queuing. But I went with friends who had never been to a U2 show before and being so close was mind blowing for them.

Giving different people the chance to experience it was a great idea and I hope they continue it.

Actually I think the best spot in terms of sound is outside the ellipse/heart/circle thingy anyway.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
This is a terrible idea. Awful. The whole reasoning the scanning for the Ellipse came into begin was that U2 where tired of seeing he same faces (re: U2.com member) in the circle every night. The club members have become like the "deadheads" of the 80's following the Greateful Dead all over kingdom come. The Ellipse should be as random as possible, making it possible for all fans, especially some new fans who may have never even seen a U2 show before, to get into the circle. Imagine what a mind blower that would be to someone who has never seen a show!

I can only purchase 4 tix....and most members will not buy 1 ticket for 4 shows and follow them around.  Some will buy 4 to one show or like me....2 to 2 shows.  I would hardly be a familiar face.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
It is so sad how you generalize an entire group of people by what you saw only a COUPLE  of times at the Elevation Tour in one state and 2 cities only!!!!!  How DARE you insult all women who may not have jobs outside the home in the so called real world while their husbands earn the money. I raise two young sons and currently do not have a job outside the home although I had a respectable career in the fashion industry before choosing to stay home and raise my sons. I guess that is not a real job to the likes of you. You are nothing more than a chauvinist and I hope and pray I can raise my sons to be real men and not anything like you with your tiny, narrow mind. No one on this forum has ever gotten me this upset. I usually just avoid posts like this but I just cannot this time.  I know I can never change the way you think. I will not try. But I will not let you say these things about older women based on a few experiences. The smart people of this forum see you for what you are. So post away because most of the great people here won't even be listening to you. I will not waste another moment of my time talking to you.   

Joe, I apologize for another rant but I had to say my peace. As far as I am concerned I am locking this topic in my head and moving on. 

I feel your anger StrongGirl, & rightly so.  I guess, on forums like this, we come across people with all sorts of ideas, even outdated chauvinist attitudes like SainMike's ;) Be consuled by the fact that you're not the only ones a little upset with SaintMike. He's trying to Scalp 12 tickets he'd pilfered through a venue presale, & has upset quite a few people lol. Here's a sample of the thread,

Re: Chicago presale-and other cities-open to public now4 crummy tix pw "boots"
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:17:21 PM    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: SaintMike on April 01, 2009, 01:23:30 PM
Thanks for the passcode - I figure the $30 seats that still have decent views would go for a profit on Stubhub or eBay - I think I'll risk it.

BTW I think those 300 level seats that are $250 have United Club access.  The United Club is swanky - I was there last year.

Edit to add : I got twelve $30 tickets thanks to the presale code.  I used my info, my gf's info and my mom's info (different last names, CC's and mailing addresses for all).

I'll stick them on eBay to coincide with the next onsale date.  There's going to be plenty of fans who are left out when the concert sells out and will pay $225 for a pair.  These won't be as lucrative as GA floor tickets, but then again making $60 a ticket for 5 minutes work ain't all bad either.

I encourage you all to participate - after all if U2 can avoid paying taxes and use Blackberry as a corporate sponsor than their fans should be able to do what's necessary to travel and see them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I just say that you suck?  How about you sell these at face value to fans that were left out?  Why should they "fund" your trip to see them?

I've said my piece... and how dare you come on here yapping about how you're scalping tickets and expect us to think that's OK because Blackberry is sponsoring U2... you are bordering on the ridiculous where your logic is concerned.

Hope it's ok to post a quote from another thread, if not apologies to the Mods.

Now back on topic. I'm not a fan of the lottery, although I've never actually participated in it. I did have a ticket to NA Vertigo leg 1, but had to miss the show (sold at FACE, before you ask SaintMike).

I'm more of a fan of 'earning' the right to be up front, by arriving early, although camping out for days is pushing it too far. I guess scanning u2.com members does include some kind of 'earning', involved. As these are mainly true fans, who have followed the band for some time & have participated in their fan site. It would give me an added chance. But this could encourage scalpers. Imagine what they'd be selling GA tickets for, if they had added chances of getting in the GA ring (I'm calling it the SOUND, "let me in the SOUND, let me in the SOUND"). As for the argument that the lottery stops the band seeing the same faces, night after night. This may be true for the arena shows, but stadium shows are HUGE. The amount of people on the rail for the Vertigo stadium shows, in front of the stage, on both sides of the catwalks, & in front of the b-stages, would be,.........well, very, very large. Just look at U23D's aerial shot of one of the b-stages, heaps of people! Not too much chance of U2 stalking, I wouldn't think.

For me, lining up all day is part of the experience. Meeting new people, people who share your passion for U2 (your friends may not). And during the concert, maybe sharing some amazing experiences with these people, who you only met a few hours ago. Give me the 'first come, first served' approach any day!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
Saint Mike - it's Strong Girl here. You may have heard of me around these parts. I believe you have a right to your opinion and yes, I do see what you are saying to a point. I will not , however, stay silent about how you said it. How DARE you call 40ish women overweight, frumpy and even manage to call our husbands pale  ???.(Don't know where that one came from by the way).  You give me any hot young chick and I'll send you a 40 something lady who is so hot, you wouldn't be able to take the heat. I happen to know quite a few personally. They also have wit, intelligence, and grace. Now U2 can put all the young hotties they want onstage to look cool but at the end of the day, look at the ladies they go home to - Ali, Morleigh & Annie- all over the age of 40, gorgeous, intelligent and compassionate women who are actually making a difference in this world. U2 is one of the few rock bands that actually have sincere respect for women. That is one of the qualities I admire most about them. Don't be fooled by tabloid antics-Bono has stated on many occasions that he has the utmost respect for women and mothers. He truly believes they are the ones that can change the world-check lyrics of Boots.  As for those who just put value on youth-you don't know what you are missing out on !!!!!  By the way-we have a thread here called the Old Lady Club. In 3 short months on this forum it has become the number one thread by posts and views. It was started by my hot 40 year old friend for us fat, stupid,  old frumpies to chat. Many men (& even young ladies)  in this forum go over there to chat all the time. I guess they see something in us that others don't. Oh and I have seen photos of most of our 40 ish female forum members and I can tell you for a fact that they are beautiful women outside and in. I do not lie. So there are your 40 somethings waiting outside on line for those concerts. And one last thing-Bono doesn't pluck an "overweight" soccer mom up to dance because we are not charging the stage and begging him to!   I have spoken my peace. Again , you have a right to make your point but please be respectful to the rest of us when you choose your words.  Sincerely, StrongGirl  47, hot , & proud  ;) ;D
uhm....is anyone else turned on besides me? :) Seriously though: Saint Mike, your argument is terrible and the way you chose to state it is even worse. I am glad U2 went into scanning tickets or whatever they could do to get people who would normally not be in the font rows a chance to be there. Their is a theme in some of the posts the about the oldest or most faithful fans being "entititled" to the best seats. That argument is almost as offensive as the choice of words used by Saint Mike. You know what being one of the oldest or most faithful fans of U2 entitles you too? Years and years of wonderful music an absolutely nothing else! I for one wished the band would use every trick possible to make sure that people who might have never been to a U2 show, or a concert at all, the best chance of getting inside the circle. Want to see some people go nuts over a band, randomly draw names from all the ticket sales, those nose bleed seats in the second  or third level, and bring them inside the circle.

Offline northernscum

• Babyface
Did you mention the fact that the people who were passed over also made it into the heart? After that happened they all sat down inside the circle like a bunch of babies who didnt get their toy from McDonalds. I believe there are pictures of this somewhere. And then after the show some of you went up crying to Bono and complaining. Pathetic.