Author Topic: Yes Larry, we know it doesn't go on forever.  (Read 1734 times)

Offline JustinU2K8

• Babyface
Yes Larry, we know it doesn't go on forever.
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »
There's an article on the main page today about Larry saying that the band can't go on forever and they should quit when they're on top.

First, I kind of feel like Larry feels the need to be the "negative one" and I understand that in a band with personalities like Bono, Edge and Adam, someone needs to do that. God bless him.

Secondly, though, I'm not sure they need to "go out on top." The line of thinking never works. Also, it probably depends on your definition of going out on top.

Why not play til you can't anymore? I'm not saying go on world tours every 3-4 years, but use your gift.

I don't want U2 to turn into a 1970s band that doesn't know when to stop and keeps playing the same classics but I think they're smarter than that anyway.

I think most of this is just Larry being Larry. He's talking more lately, it seems. He had issues with Bono talking with Bush and Blair. He's had issues with Passengers, etc. So while I love Larry and he's a great drummer and he looks cool...he needs to cheer up sometimes. Irish melon collie rain has gotten to him...

Thoughts?

Offline CDProp

• Stateless
Re: Yes Larry, we know it doesn't go on forever.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
If U2 wanted to quit while they were on top, they should have quit after All The You Can't Leave Behind (I actually like Pop better, but ATYCLB was the first U2 album of its kind, and you can't deny that it has brought them much success and admiration).

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »
I think what he said makes a lot of sense, and was likely a response to a question during an interview, and his answer was presented as more of a proclimation to stoke the media fire.

andyt

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »

They should definately quit having released the embarrasment that is Get on your boots!?  :(

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with what Larry was saying. Just being realistic; all good things come to an end. Hopefully in U2's case, not for a while yet though.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
I think they will call it quits when they're current record deal is finished.  I don't remember but I thought they had signed to do 3 or 5 more albums.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »
I can remember him saying something similar in a recent interview...maybe this was taken out of context to, like someone else said, add fire to the media?

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
If they were going to quit any time soon they wouldn't have signed a 12-year deal with Live Nation last year. That. to me, means they have at least 3 more albums and world tours left in them!

macfoley

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they were going to quit any time soon they wouldn't have signed a 12-year deal with Live Nation last year. That. to me, means they have at least 3 more albums and world tours left in them!

the deal doesnt mean they have to tour for that long.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »
I just think U2 will peter out. They will never officially announce its over (not until their like 75 anyway) and instead you might see 1 or 2 albums or whatever come out in the space of 20 years. Just when you think it might be their last one, I think they'll pull out one more. I'm going to say 3 more albums from them (including songs of ascent)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 04:19:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't want U2 to turn into a 1970s band that doesn't know when to stop and keeps playing the same classics but I think they're smarter than that anyway.

During the Vertigo Tour, U2's opening night had 7 songs from the new album, and 5 songs (Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Running To Stand Still, Bullet The Blue Sky, Zoo Station) - so we have 12 songs there that show risk and guts.

During the last night of the Vertigo Tour in Hawaii, it was nothing close to being a Vertigo Tour.  They were down to 4 songs from the new album and only one oldie (Bullet The Blue Sky) that was neither a single nor did it appear in any greatest hits compilation.  For apart from 5 songs, they were playing their greatest hits. 

This is definitely not a good sign and there are statistics to show for it.

The only good thing about opening and closing night is that U2 gifted their fans with a POP-free setlist.

Cheers,

J

hrsan

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 05:59:34 AM »
I think they should just keep doing what they do.  Release an album every 4 years and do 2 massive world tours a decade. 

Remember the days a band would put out an album every year and tour every year?  Those days are long gone.