Author Topic: What if d**k Evans never left the band?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
What if d**k Evans never left the band?
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:39:37 PM »
Here's the second part of the What If series: what if the Edge's brother d**k Evans had stayed with U2? Would they have gotten their record deal? Would they have become the legends they are today? Would they have stayed together this long?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: What if d**k Evans never left the band?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »
I would have to say OH YEAH to all of those.  But perhaps I am not being objective here being a d**k Evans fan!! 

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »
Much as I like these questions, I'm gonna have to pass on this; too hypothetical. I'll confidently predict, though, that unlike the previous scenario, they wouldn't have become Snow Patrol or Ladytron.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »
After thinking about this, I am glad everything worked out just as it did.  Otherwise, there would have been no Virgin Prunes with d**k.  This way I get to have U2 and their "evil" twin-the best of both Evans' boys!! But that is very interesting though P-FLO. What ifs are fun too.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:59:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After thinking about this, I am glad everything worked out just as it did.  Otherwise, there would have been no Virgin Prunes with d**k.  This way I get to have U2 and their "evil" twin-the best of both Evans' boys!! But that is very interesting though P-FLO. What ifs are fun too.

"evil" twin? haha that just made me laugh!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
I wish I could take credit for that line Dark Angel, but that is a headline from the Sunday Times (I think that is the name) in Ireland from a few years ago when they reissued the VP stuff.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:37:19 AM »
I wish I could take credit for that line Dark Angel, but that is a headline from the Sunday Times (I think that is the name) in Ireland from a few years ago when they reissued the VP stuff.

I wanna ask you something, What are the Virgin Prunes best albums? I have:
A live retrospect
Heresy
If I die I die...

I wanna get:
The moon looked down and laughed
and the one that I have forgotton (its got an orange cover)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:37:05 AM by Dark Angel »

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
They would have killed each other fighting over who got to play their homemade yellow guitar.  Bono would have taken over lead guitar and vocal duties, and it would be called the Bono Vox Band.  Larry and Adam would have quit in disgust and Bono would now be known as "The Irish 'Prince' ", only instead of wearing purple he'd wear green like a little leprechaun, he'd weigh 300 pounds and be playing gigs in Vegas.  (Sorry, this may be just too stupid to post)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
I thought it was funny yooper!  Dark Angel, I believe the orange cover one you are speaking of is A New Form of Beauty with Guggi's painted face on the cover.  That one is considered to be by most die hard fans their best, but I must warn you it is waaaaay out there-spooky and experimental.  The Moon Looked Down and Laughed is a good one. That is very different from their earlier stuff-more like what some of Gavin's solo stuff started out to be.  It was produced by David Ball of Soft Cell so you'll see some of his influence.  A lot of people like that one so I'm sure you will (perhaps more than A New Form of Beauty).  I just love Over The Rainbow. The remixed CD gives you 2 CD's with a lot of rarities.  If I Die is definitely the one that is most "digestable" and mainstream to the non fanatic!  I love that one so much as well. Sorry to start going off topic but I wanted to answer your question.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
Bono would now be known as "The Irish 'Prince' ", only instead of wearing purple he'd wear green like a little leprechaun

:D  :D  :D

It would have made things a lot more complicated I think, there would be a setting for creating "camps" within U2, the "Evans brother's" camp and "the rest of the band". The brothers could never be of the same opinion if it differed from the rest of the band, without being accused of partiality. Yes, it definitely worked out for the best.

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »
I'm thinking stuff like Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree would not have happened. Just a random guess.