Author Topic: HAWKMOON 269  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
HAWKMOON 269
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:38:43 AM »
I just took a break from NLOTH, and went to Rattle and Hum. Kind of forgot how much I like this song. What a powerful and soulful song. Bono's voice is on fire and so is Larry's drumming. And the ladies singing toward the end? "Like sweet soul music." Dont tell me the lads never had soul! Show the love for Hawkmoon....

Offline dragmio

• Refugee
Re: HAWKMOON 269
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:26:37 AM »
I love Hawkmoon 269, although it took me some time. Live footage from Lovetown tour sure helped there. But now I like the studio version, too. Female backing vocals are great.
It's a really special song. Not many others like it. Larry's drumming is awesome, and it proves how much he defines the sound of the band. There is an early version of Acrobat somewhere on YouTube that has similar drumming. It's like another song.

Also, I always suspected that the organ at the beginning of Hawkmoon are some kind of hommage or something. There must be a story about that. Anybody knows something about it?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:49:59 PM by dragmio »

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:14:34 AM »
Great song, one of the best on Rattle.

There's a line in it however that is a bit tasteless: "like a needle needs a vein".

There’s also another line from “Desire”, “I'm like the needle, needle and spoon", that shows that Bono was going a bit too far in his lyrical exploration of the world of drug abuse. It's almost like he's glamourising it...

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:52:04 AM »
Do you honestly think that the person who wrote both "Bad" and "Running to Stand Still" is glamourising drug use?

They are powerful metaphors, hence Bono using them. In both of those songs, he is singing about feelings that are so strong that they are beyond your control. A love that you need and can't live without, that you're dependent on - a love that is a drug in other words. I don't think the lines are tasteless, just potent, and I'd never want Bono to shy away from writing a lyric about something because he's afraid of offending people - that's when lyrics become pat, boring and safe.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you honestly think that the person who wrote both "Bad" and "Running to Stand Still" is glamourising drug use?

They are powerful metaphors, hence Bono using them. In both of those songs, he is singing about feelings that are so strong that they are beyond your control. A love that you need and can't live without, that you're dependent on - a love that is a drug in other words. I don't think the lines are tasteless, just potent, and I'd never want Bono to shy away from writing a lyric about something because he's afraid of offending people - that's when lyrics become pat, boring and safe.

It's not the possibility of him offending people that I criticize. I'm not politically correct. I just think those lines are a bit tasteless, like I said. I'm not saying that he wants to glamourise drugs, just that he's running such a risk when he uses them in such a (mostly) positive context: love and desire, for all their possible problematic consequences, are a good thing, and drug abuse is not.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:16:03 AM »
LOVE this song, anthony.  Good call!  Larry's drumming is powerful from that opening, BOOM-BOOM!  It has a nice slow build-up.  i think i'll go listen to it now!   :D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
Love this song and all of Rattle N  Hum. I just do not know why people are so hard on it !! Oh and nice post mattyk!! ;)

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »

It's not the possibility of him offending people that I criticize. I'm not politically correct. I just think those lines are a bit tasteless, like I said. I'm not saying that he wants to glamourise drugs, just that he's running such a risk when he uses them in such a (mostly) positive context: love and desire, for all their possible problematic consequences, are a good thing, and drug abuse is not.

Sometimes love makes people do crazy stuff. I think he gets that point across with the lyrics he chose. (The first sentence is fact, the second opinion and each should be treated as such)

Offline keifer

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
This song is actually one of my all time favorites;  bono's voice is on fire here; my brother and I wish every tour for them to come out and do it; 

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
After a prompt from EC, I went back to listen to Hawkmoon again and found my love affair with the song was not as dormant as I thought. So much so that I wanted to bump this thread. Listening to it again was just like the first time.

I love Bono's raw passion in this song-- not being ashamed or embarrassed about feeling or needing love to this extent.

Has anyone who loves the song ever felt love like this?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
I've always thought Hawkmoon was one of their best rock songs and Rattle & Hum is one of heir best albums

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »
Love this song and all of Rattle N  Hum. I just do not know why people are so hard on it !! Oh and nice post mattyk!! ;)

I don't understand that either SG. It has been my favorite U2 album since I first heard it. I don't know if it's because it's so closely related to the music I grew up with here in the south, but I've always related to it much more than the other albums.

And Hawkmoon is just fan-flippin-tastic! I absolutely adore Larry's primal drumming in contrast to the silky smooth crooning of Bono's vocals. It still gives me chills when I hear it.

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »

Yes, and it did not end well at all. He was a drummer. And the sad thing is that I've caught a glimpse of him a handful of times in the years since then and all of it comes rushing back just like it was yesterday. It was the biggest mistake of my life and still I don't know if I could resist him even now.

I can definitely relate to that level of desperation, longing and addiction.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:08:39 PM »
Brilliant song! Very underrated as is the whole R&H album. Great song title too. I nearly gave myself Hawkmoon as my forum name when I signed up on here.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »

Yes, and it did not end well at all. He was a drummer. And the sad thing is that I've caught a glimpse of him a handful of times in the years since then and all of it comes rushing back just like it was yesterday. It was the biggest mistake of my life and still I don't know if I could resist him even now.

I can definitely relate to that level of desperation, longing and addiction.

I love that when U2 sing of love they make no apologies for it-- they sing Hawkmoon, WOWY, it is always so raw and passionate.

Brilliant song! Very underrated as is the whole R&H album. Great song title too. I nearly gave myself Hawkmoon as my forum name when I signed up on here.

Zoost, I have to say, revisiting Hawkmoon and placed RnH in my car CD player nonstop. To me it is really this example of how unafraid U2 have been to experiment. It could have been tremendously uncool for a band of their youth and stature to collaborate with BB King and take on a Memphis sound, but they did it and they did it well. I am in love all over again with this album.