Author Topic: What is the deal with the US dates?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Igottogo

• Babyface
What is the deal with the US dates?
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
I know U2 will be back in the states in 2010, however, can anyone give some insights to what the plans are....

Usually they hit the US hard and heavy with every tour and this one seems like it is not going to be the case.

Insights or info please!

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
Re: What is the deal with the US dates?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:44:38 AM »
My best guess is that they are waiting to see if the shows sell out and then they will add more shows like they have been doing for Europe.  I think the biggest reason they have so few shows scheduled is because they are playing stadiums now and not arenas.  1 or 2 nights in a stadium equals 3 or 4 nights in an arena people-wise so they don't need as many shows.

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:27:55 AM »
My guess is that they're being careful, Popmart was their last US stadium tour and it didn't do that hot in the states, but everywhere else it seemed to be just fine.

I assume that after monday and the public sales they might add more dates.

Offline Igottogo

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
I understand more dates will be added to the current cities, however, I am thinking more just more dates in different cities around the US in general.

liewerizon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »
There have been confirmed talks of U2 coming back to US/Canada during the spring /summer of 2010. No official words in terms of which cities will be on 2010 leg; however, Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, amongst others, along with Montreal and Edmonton or Calgary in Canada are supposedly on the tour stops.

Evilways811 was right though. U2 brass are playing it safe, have this wait-and-see approach,on how shows would be doing in the more 'steady' markets like NY, Boston, Chicago, Toronto on the first leg before comitting to more shows in other cities. I am sure they don't want another PopMart fiasco on their hands.

Besides, it hasn't been ruled out that when they do return next year, they might do a arena tour in North America instead. Again everything hinges on how well and fast the shows are selling out.