Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 11309 times)

Offline achtungespresso

• Running to Stand Still
  • I found grace, it's all that I found
David Bowie
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
I've heard three songs of his: China Girl, Let's Dance, and Under Pressure. And I love them! What would the Bowie fans here suggest I listen to in order to get to know his music more?

shockdocta22

Re: David Bowie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've heard three songs of his: China Girl, Let's Dance, and Under Pressure. And I love them! What would the Bowie fans here suggest I listen to in order to get to know his music more?

Changes

CH CH CH CH changes is the best part

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »
Starman
Ziggy Stardust
Ashes To Ashes
Rebel Rebel
The Man Who Sold The World
Jean Genie
Golden Years
Sound And Vision
Heroes

That's a good start  ;)

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:11 PM »

There's a pretty good double CD compilation of the singles between 1969-1993, here:

Most Bowie singles are either good or great, so it's a good listen, and from there, you can figure out what appeals to you most and search for the correspondent albums. However, from my limited knowledge of Bowies albums, it seems that sometimes the singles from a particular album can be really good but the album not much so (example: "Tonight"). There's always a risk. Also, he is known for keeping changing his music all the time, so there's no guarantee you will like any particular album...

Anyway, there are other compilations that probably would be recommendable, in case the one I mentioned is not available nowadays.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
David Bowie rocks!  8)

I'd just start out with The Best Of Bowie compilation. If you like that, then go for his studio albums.

Offline P-FLO

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside It's America.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
Definitely listen to the epic "Space Oddity." I just saw a band perform a cover of it at my high school talent show - awesome stuff. Bowie is the king of alternative.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »
You HAVE TO listen to LIFE ON MARS!!!!! Beautiful especially the ending piano....you're gonna love it.

jimyjazz

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
Life On Mars! Yes!
queen b****!
tvc 15!
always crashing in the same car!

the singles are a good place to start.  There are two comps - 69/74 and 74/80 or something that are pretty solid.  I had changesbowie, which I beliecve is now out of print.  Or you could get the Ziggy Stardust album, or Hunky Dory (maybe the best pop record ever) or Low, Heroes, Starin to Station...David Bowie is the f****** greatest musician of the twentieth century! Every record he put out in the 70s is great, barring Lodger and Young Americans, which are merely really good.  No one has been as good as he was.  Every record is a classic.  How could one man be so brilliant.  In 5 years U2 went from Bomb to Horizon.  Compare to five years from Bowie.  

Hunky Dory,
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Pin Ups
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Station to Station
Low
Heroes

Unparalleled change in styles, concepts, stage presentation...holy sh**, that is amazing.  No one has ever come close to that level of brilliance.

I read somewhere else on this forum that U2 are the only band who has changed the world - their impact is nothing compared to this man, both on a musical and cultural level.  He invented the world we live in.  He is God.  

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »

you know alot more than those tunes.

His songs appear in LOTS of TV ads.

Offline sconehead

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
rock n roll suicide!!

joegtheog

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »

David Bowie is the f****** greatest musician of the twentieth century! Every record he put out in the 70s is great, barring Lodger and Young Americans, which are merely really good.  No one has been as good as he was.  Every record is a classic.  How could one man be so brilliant.  
Unparalleled change in styles, concepts, stage presentation...holy sh**, that is amazing.  No one has ever come close to that level of brilliance.

I read somewhere else on this forum that U2 are the only band who has changed the world - their impact is nothing compared to this man, both on a musical and cultural level.  He invented the world we live in.  He is God.  

I think even Bono read this and said "Wow.  Now THAT'S hyperbole!"

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »
Good for you, AchtungEspresso!  :D You've discovered the genius of David Bowie!  8) One of my sisters listened to him all the time when I was about 12, so I grew up appreciating his music.  I agree with all the above posts, but my personal favs are the albums "The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" and "Diamond Dogs" followed by "Young Americans" and "Let's Dance."  Let us all know what you think after listening to some of this...

Offline OneStepCloser

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Can you hear the drummer slowing?
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »
I love Bowie, he was my favorite artist before I discovered U2. I rather enjoy his more recent albums (mostly because they were the ones I heard first; plus everyone already mentioned the classics  ;))

Heathen is pretty good, as is Reality. A couple of the songs on these albums I don't care for much, otherwise they took me a little while to get used to and like, but a majority I liked right off the bat! Might wanna check them out  :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:03:57 AM »
This is news!!

And, how did I miss RSD's Changes issue? Adds to list!!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
This is news!!

And, how did I miss RSD's Changes issue? Adds to list!!

Interesting.  I'm wondering how they'll incorporate his music.  So much of it would seem to lend itself to the "alien visiting earth" story, but his Ziggy period is pretty distinctive and different in tone from the MWFTE film.  I'm not sure I'll love it, but I'll be interested to see what they do.