Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 11596 times)

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »
WOW! Just listened to it three times through. Most unusual and unlike anything he's done before. Love it.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »
Agreed. So strange. I play the saxophone, so this album was clearly heaven

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »
Leak or no, I'm holding off until I buy it.  I can't help but think the praise here might be a bit excessive--my expectations are middling--but it's nice to hear some people dig it.

As for the best album between Scary Monsters and Heathen, I also say Outside.  For all of the dense and inscrutable story/concept bits, the songs are remarkably catchy.  It's a great album.  Earthling is a good follow-up to it, too.  For all of the "best since Scary Monsters!" hype that's become a meme unto itself, Bowie only really suffered in the 80's.  His output starting with the 90's (some of Black Tie/White Noise, Buddha of Suburbia, and on) has been mostly pretty great.  (Except maybe for ...hours, which still has a few good moments.)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »
Trust me, I am not overly praising, at least in my head.  I didnt believe the hype that the Next Day was one of his best, it was an amazing album, but it wasnt his best.  This one in my mind, is.  No rose tinted glasses, I dont do that, trust me, half of the bands I really love that are classic, older rock bands, I hate their current music.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2016, 08:17:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Leak or no, I'm holding off until I buy it.  I can't help but think the praise here might be a bit excessive--my expectations are middling--but it's nice to hear some people dig it.

As for the best album between Scary Monsters and Heathen, I also say Outside.  For all of the dense and inscrutable story/concept bits, the songs are remarkably catchy.  It's a great album.  Earthling is a good follow-up to it, too.  For all of the "best since Scary Monsters!" hype that's become a meme unto itself, Bowie only really suffered in the 80's.  His output starting with the 90's (some of Black Tie/White Noise, Buddha of Suburbia, and on) has been mostly pretty great.  (Except maybe for ...hours, which still has a few good moments.)

yea i won't do leaks, i haven't in about 14 years. i'm sure alot of it is new music excitement but i believe it'll be solid and on par with TND.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
I don't like leaks either. I don't even like listening to the singles leading up to albums much.  I did do it on this album, and the Next Day but I think that has been out of my own skepticism on hype around musicians like Bowie.  Legends are sometimes hyped at the end of their career, albeit Bowie actually lives up to it.

I hate leaks because the quality isn't necessarily great.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »
Artists are more leaked against than leaking.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
I've been listening to the album on Spotify. I definitely need to get it. Bizarre and fantastic stuff all around.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2016, 01:19:05 PM »
Girl Loves Me is such a strange song for Bowie and it's currently my favorite.

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2016, 12:01:47 AM »
R.I.P David Bowie!! >:( >:(

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2016, 12:13:29 AM »
God Damn, Even in Death he has made it theatrical. Rest peacefully you creative little spark, thank you for making it ok to be different, thank you for making it ok to be eccentric. I was just listening to Black Star on Friday.
Bloody cancer, god damn. Rest peacefully x Condolences to his beautiful family.

Offline PieBlaCon

• Refugee
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »
Album takes on a whole new meaning. What a send-off. What a career.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2016, 01:19:13 AM »
Wow. What a loss. A legend of rock n roll. Bowie was an original and was one of the greatest songwriters ever. Is there a more gorgeous melody out there then Life on Mars? Heroes is one of the greatest songs ever. Five Years is a song that I can hear the influence it had on U2. Bowie was probably Bono's biggest influence. I'll be playing Bowie all day tomorrow.

Offline Mark72

• Refugee
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
Some put up on Twitter about black star "Good lord. He was saying goodbye and we never knew it." So so sad. R.I.P David