Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 11663 times)

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2016, 04:47:32 AM »
Rest In Peace dear MR Bowie !  :'( :'(

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 04:48:36 AM »
RIP. What a loss.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
I just can't believe it. As ZeeTV said, even in death, he was theatrical. Releasing Blackstar on his birthday and dying two days later? It's so sad. I just can't believe it.

R.I.P you brilliant man.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
David Bowie meant so much to me. His music got me through so many hard times. I can't believe that he is gone. All the rumors of his ill health that were categorically denied. I can't believe this. I actually cried when I saw the news. But what a way to go. Even in death he is theatrical. The man had such a perfect sense of showmanship that he times his very death to an album release. What a character, may his legacy live on forever

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »
I have been a casual DB follower over the years, having just 4 of his albums, Ziggy Stardust, LD, Heathen, TND and planning on getting Blackstar. However, pretty much every song I hear, past catalog or newer stuff, I like a lot.

There seem to be several best ofs out there with varying degrees of completeness, song edits, inclusions and exclusions.  What recommendations would you all have to dive into one of the best of's for a "fan" such as myself.

Thanks, and RIP Mr. Jones 

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been a casual DB follower over the years, having just 4 of his albums, Ziggy Stardust, LD, Heathen, TND and planning on getting Blackstar. However, pretty much every song I hear, past catalog or newer stuff, I like a lot.

There seem to be several best ofs out there with varying degrees of completeness, song edits, inclusions and exclusions.  What recommendations would you all have to dive into one of the best of's for a "fan" such as myself.

Don't buy compilations. Ziggys music isn't given justice on greatest hits records. Buy Low, Outside, Hunky Dory, and Station to Station.  Those are pretty much Cover all bases if you have already listened to the 4 you own. After that, gradually buy all of his albums until you own all of his catalogue, saving the Tin Machine albums, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down for last, because those are only for the hardcore fans. But if you HAVE to listen to a compilation, Sound and Vision, or Nothing Has Changed. But I wouldn't advise it

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2016, 01:37:33 PM »
I saw the following comment online this morning regarding Black Star and thought it was brilliant:  "That's one hell of a mike drop."

David Bowie has always been one of my favorites.  In high school I liked Tin Machine.  I delved through his entire catalogue up to the early-to-mid 80's, at various parts of my life.   The album Low was a personal favorite of mine in the mid-to-late 90's.  Later, I was listening to "Ashes to Ashes" before driving my wife to the hospital to deliver my first born. 

But what came to truly fascinate me about Bowie is that in the late '90's, in the height of my discovering all there is about David Bowie, I totally dismissed Earthling.  Even though I loved Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Underworld, etc...  Then five years ago, I heard an incredible acoustic version of Dead Man Walking, went back and listened to the album version (which may as well be a totally different, albeit just as brilliant song, by itself), and decided to give Earthling another listen.  Brilliant.  Totally brilliant.  He owned any genre he wanted to.     

"There's old wave, and there's new wave...  then there's David Bowie."
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:43:36 PM by Vox »

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »

Don't buy compilations. Ziggys music isn't given justice on greatest hits records. Buy Low, Outside, Hunky Dory, and Station to Station.  Those are pretty much Cover all bases if you have already listened to the 4 you own. After that, gradually buy all of his albums until you own all of his catalogue, saving the Tin Machine albums, Tonight, and Never Let Me Down for last, because those are only for the hardcore fans. But if you HAVE to listen to a compilation, Sound and Vision, or Nothing Has Changed. But I wouldn't advise it

Agree with the response above.  My wife had a Greatest Hits, which was my first real attempt at listening to Bowie (I didn't really know him before I met her).  That Greatest Hits compilation did nothing to build by appreciation of him.  It wasn't until I started listening to his albums  that I really began to like his music. I started with the Berlin Trilogy, Earthling, and Outside.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
"WHAT!!!!" My reaction this morning when I turned on the TV and the first thing on the screen: David Bowie Dead at 69.

He was having his late career renaissance, and continuing to innovate. At least he got to go out releasing one last fantastic album and creative video before he left. Still very sad.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
David Bowie introduced himself to us with this song, and it is fitting that he should leave this planet being recognized by the very subject he wrote about.  This time, the Major Toms in the ISS have something to say to Bowie

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »
i bought the Reality and Earthling albums today. And a random single from 1989, Sound + Vision Plus. 3 live songs and a single edit of Ashes to Ashes. Dunno what the single is all about but i bought it.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
Brian Zeno - "I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, Brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'. I realise now he was saying goodbye."

R.I.P. David Bowie

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:14 AM »
Brian Zeno - "I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, Brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'. I realise now he was saying goodbye."

R.I.P. David Bowie

It's so moving you actually never think of a goodbye till it ends, and than it hits you. Such a creative man we lost ....... it hurts.....

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2016, 10:30:15 AM »

R.I.P. David Bowie

And the saddest thing, salt in the wound, is that in that statement Eno said they were talking about getting together and working on a follow up to Outside.  OOHHHHH, what could have been....

It's so moving you actually never think of a goodbye till it ends, and than it hits you. Such a creative man we lost ....... it hurts.....