Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 11647 times)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Brian Zeno - "I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, Brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'. I realise now he was saying goodbye."

R.I.P. David Bowie

And the saddest thing, salt in the wound, is that in that statement Eno said they were talking about getting together and working on a follow up to Outside.  OOHHHHH, what could have been....

It's so moving you actually never think of a goodbye till it ends, and than it hits you. Such a creative man we lost ....... it hurts.....

It's incredible how he kept this to such a small circle of closest friends and family. Even Eno didn't know. I feel for Tony Visconti, his lifelong friend and producer, who worked with Bowie on these last 2 albums, knowing what lay ahead. He said "it's appropriate to cry now".

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
So i am thinking like The queen tribute concert, with as many people who originally played on any given track originally playing the instrumentation, then they get the greatest rock stars to sing Bowie's parts. So for example, if Earl slick was the guitarist for song x, he would play the guitar, then he would step off the stage if the next song was a Gabrelles song. Getting the right guitarist is the most important, but if that could be done with drums and bass, sure, but at the very least make sure that the drummer and bassist have played with Bowie before. That would be an awesome concert. He deserves a concert with as much chutzpah as Freddie's

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
A eulogy I wrote to Our beautiful Thin White Duke. I want to share it with you.

On September 26th, 1995, David Bowie released the album Outside. The album was a concept album about death being seen as an art form. On January 10th, 2016, David Bowie gave Outside a whole new, and literal meaning. Everything Ziggy did was for the sake of, as he would pronounce it with a thick accent, "aaaaart". So fittingly David Jones could not die like a normal man, he had to release his farewell note 2 days before, an album full of references on death, and to ensure the deeper meaning of his final work, he died. The ultimate artistic statement, one that for obvious reasons could not be topped. He didn't die futily, without purpose, he died an artist, using his death to finish the final brushstroke on his final work, Blackstar. And what a life he lived. From the moment he introduced himself to the world, singing about a peculiar astronaut, to his final fade out where he couldn't give everything away, David DID give everything away. He gave it all to his fans. As a musician, singer, and performer, David crafted the soundtracks to the lives of people who were a little bit odd, a little bit weird. Nothing done in half measures, David always went to extremes, fellating Ronsons guitar comes to mind. But whatever he did, he did it for HIMSELF. He did it because he wanted to. Ziggy wasn't a publicity stunt, it was HIS story, of a rock star who feels like he doesn't belong on this planet and try's to understand the people who he plays to. The reason David played Ziggy so well is because he WAS Ziggy. And everything he did before and after reflected his desires. That's why Tonight and Never Let Me Down sounds so stilted and stale, not because the songs themselves are bad, but because David was trying to do what he thought his fans wanted, and not create music he himself wanted to create. That's how he got all of his adoring fans, because we all admired how he didn't care about the norms, didn't care about what was expected based on his previous releases, his refusal to cater to anyone except himself is what made so many people want to listen to him. The master of reinvention, Bowie's multi genre pallete could frustrate any musical analyst trying to put him in one genre. And it wasn't the switching genres itself that made him so interesting, but rather it was the fact that David Bowie could instantly master the music of whatever he switched to. It boggles the mind that the same man who wrote Hearts Filthy Lesson also wrote Young Americans. But songwriting wasn't enough, no, he had to combine it with a voice sent from God. Just like Bowie's tendency towards reinvention, his voice, was versatile and multi faceted, singing songs you would hardly believe we're sung by the same man. The piercing tenor of life on Mars? has a completely different sound then the low croon then Let's Dance. David Bowie wasn't just one of the greatest song smiths of all time, he was one of the greatest singers. David's versatility, emotion, subtlety, and attitude made his voice his greatest instrument, affluent thought we was on the Guitar, Keyboards, and Saxophone. David's career gave so many people so much joy, so much hope, that words can't describe what he has done for the world. The only semi accurate way to describe his life is again in the story of Ziggy Stardust. He was a man so foreign, so alien, that he shocked and awed everyone he met, and just like Ziggy, he dramatically changed this world for the better. On January 10th, David Bowie proved that Outside wasn't just a story, he proved it was a template one could follow. Thought he is gone, the Starman who blew our minds legacy will live on in every single person whose live he touched, in every child he made boogie, in all of us Young Dudes, in all of us Kooks. For all of us who think the this world is a god awful small affair, David was our guide. Lead on Ziggy, lead on.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:56:39 PM by redrunningred »

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »
Well looks like he'll finally have a #1 album in the US.

And it looks like a bunch of his 1970s albums will reach higher peaks than they did when released. Can you believe Ziggy Stardust only hit #75 on the Billboard 200? It looks like its currently trending to reach the Top 10 now, maybe even top 5.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »

And it looks like a bunch of his 1970s albums will reach higher peaks than they did when released. Can you believe Ziggy Stardust only hit #75 on the Billboard 200? It looks like its currently trending to reach the Top 10 now, maybe even top 5.

Ahhhh. One final masterstroke from the master of drama.   Bowie is the only man so visionary and artistic that he uses his death as a public statement, as an artistic statement to further an album.  Good old Starman finally will be at the top.....

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »

Ahhhh. One final masterstroke from the master of drama.   Bowie is the only man so visionary and artistic that he uses his death as a public statement, as an artistic statement to further an album.  Good old Starman finally will be at the top.....

2 years late to the 2nd world war... 42 years late to Bowie.  ;)

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2016, 02:10:08 AM »
People are feeling guilty now and going out buying his albums, but David knows who his real fans are.  David knows.

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2016, 05:14:55 AM »
My 50 favourite David Bowie songs (I don't have any of his post '87 albums)

1.   Sweet Thing
2.   Life on Mars
3.   Golden Years
4.   Heroes
5.   Word on a Wing
6.   This Is Not America
7.   Wild Is the Wind
8.   China Girl
9.   Teenage Wildlife
10.   Under Pressure
11.   Modern Love
12.   Ashes to Ashes
13.   Starman
14.   The Jean Genie
15.   Absolute Beginners
16.   Be My Wife
17.   Ziggy Stardust
18.   Changes
19.   Young Americans
20.   Station to Station
21.   Sound and Vision
22.   Look Back in Anger
23.   Soul Love
24.   Rock and Roll Suicide
25.   Fame
26.   TVC 15
27.   Stay
28.   Lets Dance
29.   Star
30.   Moonage Daydream
31.   Queen b****
32.   Panic in Detroit
33.   Drive-In Saturday
34.   Space Oddity
35.   Time
36.   Rebel Rebel
37.   Scary Monster (Super Freaks)
38.   Red Sails
39.   Five Years
40.   Loving the Alien
41.   Beauty and the Beast
42.   John, Im Only Dancing
43.   Blue Jean
44.   What in the World
45.   Suffragette City
46.   Oh! You Pretty Things
47.   Fascination
48.   D.J.
49.   Fashion
50.   Boys Keep Swinging

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2016, 06:22:16 AM »
Sweet Thing at #1? It belongs there. If you mean the trio of Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (reprise), because that is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2016, 07:56:47 AM »
You can play Imagine by John Lennon over Lazarus. It's spooky. The opening lines "Imagine there's no heaven" and "Look Up Here, I'm in heaven".

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »

you need to get everything he did from Heathen - Blackstar

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »

you need to get everything he did from Heathen - Blackstar

^This.  Plus Outside.  And the other albums, the Tin Machine albums, Black Tie White Noise, Buddha of Subburbia, Earthling, Hours, those are all good as well

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
David Bowie
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
I really want to get Outside and Earthling. They always were cheap at record stores, but I imagine that the prices have went up now.

I'm Deranged and I'm Afraid of Americans are amazing songs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:00:38 AM by Starman »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
has anyone here heard the scrapped 2001 album, Toy? it leaked and its 90% reworkings of early demos/b-sides he did pre-debut album. one song is a Ziggy outtake. it's AMAZING!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »
has anyone here heard the scrapped 2001 album, Toy? it leaked and its 90% reworkings of early demos/b-sides he did pre-debut album. one song is a Ziggy outtake. it's AMAZING!

Yep, I downloaded it when it leaked.  I can't say I paid too much attention to it--I think my favorites had already been released on Heathen or its b-sides--but I need to revisit it, along with his entire catalog.