Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 12972 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
has anyone here heard the scrapped 2001 album, Toy? it leaked and its 90% reworkings of early demos/b-sides he did pre-debut album. one song is a Ziggy outtake. it's AMAZING!

Yep, I downloaded it when it leaked.  I can't say I paid too much attention to it--I think my favorites had already been released on Heathen or its b-sides--but I need to revisit it, along with his entire catalog.

besides Con. Piece what else was a b-side? i only have the Heathen bonus disc, not the b-sides.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
has anyone here heard the scrapped 2001 album, Toy? it leaked and its 90% reworkings of early demos/b-sides he did pre-debut album. one song is a Ziggy outtake. it's AMAZING!

Yep, I downloaded it when it leaked.  I can't say I paid too much attention to it--I think my favorites had already been released on Heathen or its b-sides--but I need to revisit it, along with his entire catalog.

besides Con. Piece what else was a b-side? i only have the Heathen bonus disc, not the b-sides.

The disc you have is the 3-track one that came with the deluxe version of Heathen, when it came out?

If so, I had (have) that one, too, and Con. Piece (I love that song) was on there.  But maybe a year or so ago I picked up the "Bowie Box", which had 2-disc versions of each album from Outside through Reality.  The Heathen 2nd disc includes You've Got a Habit of Leaving and Shadow Man, among others.  I think they were all b-sides (along with all of the the 2nd disc material of each album).

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
my Heathen disc 2 has

Sunday <Moby Remix>
A Better Future <Air Remix>
Conversation Piece <1969 outtake, feature on Toy>
Panic In Detroit <1979 outtake>

but omg Shadow Man is one helluva song....

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »
Black Tie, White Noise is pretty good.

And if you're looking for catalog albums, some of the CD's on the Best Buy website and Barnes & Noble website are on sale, they were before he died and they haven''t raised prices yet. They both have some 4.99 and 6.99 albums, I got PinUps for 7 on B&N.

I noticed Tonight is only available as an MP3 Album. I assume that'll change. I don't think its a bad one, its not mind blowing but its a fine album.

Go to his facebook and check out the amazing digital billboard they have in Times Square for the album.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:35:28 PM by AchtungPop »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
Black Tie, White Noise is pretty good.

And if you're looking for catalog albums, some of the CD's on the Best Buy website and Barnes & Noble website are on sale, they were before he died and they haven''t raised prices yet. They both have some 4.99 and 6.99 albums, I got PinUps for 7 on B&N.

I noticed Tonight is only available as an MP3 Album. I assume that'll change. I don't think its a bad one, its not mind blowing but its a fine album.

Go to his facebook and check out the amazing digital billboard they have in Times Square for the album.

yea i saw the Times Sq. thing that was killer. this album is gonna be HUGE and it deserves to be, outside of his death this album is great!

same thing happened with Michael Jackson when he died, all the catalog stuff dropped way way down, i loaded up on his Off the Wall - Dangerous albums. With Bowie i own 90% of all the album i have of his <67-83>, meaning i only have 2 or 3 that i ripped from a friend <Heroes, Let's Dance, maybe another not sure> Ive bought a few this week <Reality, Outside and Earthling> and want to get Hours next. I'm eyeing this out of stock Special Edition of it that's on Amazon right now.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2016, 10:10:10 PM »
Today I ordered Blackstar on vinyl from Bull Moose. I'm hoping I end up getting the original pressing, which seems to be sold out literally everywhere right now. I looked at a few Barnes and Nobles for the clear edition last weekend before the news broke and couldn't even find any then. Now knowing the context in which he wrote/recorded it, I had to have it.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »

5 songs were recorded and not on the album. Might be a possible deluxe version released later in the year, like when "Next Day Extra" was released.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2016, 11:08:52 PM »

5 songs were recorded and not on the album. Might be a possible deluxe version released later in the year, like when "Next Day Extra" was released.

GOOD. 7 songs WAS a little skimpy. I mean the album delivered big time but i need MORE!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2016, 04:27:39 AM »
Not surprised at all. I'd eat my hat if there wasn't a posthumous release or deluxe version out this year. I'd imagine as soon as he passed, the record company said, "right...so what else can we put out?"

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
That must be the worst part of dying as a musician, knowing that the record company will exploit your catalog posthumously.

I had been wanting to get Outside and Earthling for a while, and now I really want them. I always saw them in the discount sections of my local music stores, but I'm sure that's different now.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »
Not surprised at all. I'd eat my hat if there wasn't a posthumous release or deluxe version out this year. I'd imagine as soon as he passed, the record company said, "right...so what else can we put out?"
They better not pull a Jimi Hendrix and throw in a bunch of musicians he has never worked with and a producer who never produced for him. IF they need to add things to the demo, they better have Visconti produce, and have Earl Slick, Alomar, Dorsey, Alford, or the musicians on Blackstar play on it. Bowie music is very important to me, and they better not ruin the last songs written by the Thin White Duke

Behind the Barricade

« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »
That must be the worst part of dying as a musician, knowing that the record company will exploit your catalog posthumously.

And the royalties will go to his loved ones.  And let's not forget David Bowie was a tax exile since 1976 and so the beneficiaries of his estate won't have to pay any Inheritance Taxes.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
I'm fine with them reissuing and repressing stuff. There's obviously a huge demand to fill since theres tons of people who weren't huge fans earlier now wanting to buy his records. I'm not  fan of the Jimi Hendrix type albums that come out 40 years after his death. I did like that Johnny Cash album from last year though, I thought that worked well since I think either his son or grandson was very involved in the project

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2016, 04:20:06 PM »
Listening to "Black Star" tonight and looking at the album cover on iTunes.  I was trying to decipher what, if anything, the fragments of stars beneath the black star were. I thought there must be some reason -- Bowie put those shapes there for some reason.  Then I saw they pretty much spell "Bowie."  So sweet.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2016, 04:56:38 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login