Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 11680 times)

Nucky T

Re: David Bowie
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »
His golden years were 1971 - 1980 as far as I'm concerned.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »
i considered including Scary Monsters, but i wanted to keep it decade specific. In regards to his first 2 albums, those TROUNCE Lodger, so i included them.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
I always forget about the first album and always consider Space Oddity to be his first.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i considered including Scary Monsters, but i wanted to keep it decade specific. In regards to his first 2 albums, those TROUNCE Lodger, so i included them.

It's funny--you seem to much prefer his glam period, which, while I fully acknowledge it's what put him on the map in the first place, I feel pales compared to what he did between 1976 - 1980.  Starting with Station to Station, he was just amazingly good.  Yeah, Lodger was weaker, but it has Look Back in Anger.  And DJ.  And Fantastic Voyage.  There's good stuff in there, just not as good as the previous few.

As for the influence on U2, as someone else mentioned--of course it's there.  I don't think they would have gone to Berlin for Achtung Baby had it not been for Bowie's work with Eno just over 10 years prior.  Achtung Baby itself is what led me directly to Bowie--learning about Hansa Studios and Eno's previous work, I eventually found first Ziggy Stardust, and then Low, which is when the lightbulb clicked on.  I still hear echoes of Low's opening track, Speed of Life, in Achtung Baby's opener, Zoo Station.  It's all about the rhythm in the drums.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
just finished the Ziggy Stardust concert film which i had no clue existed. Happened to find a copy of it at the used dvd store down the street. loved it!

anyone else seen this?

Oh yeah.  I like it, but don't love it.  The quality of the live footage just isn't quite what I'd have hoped for.

But it does have Mike Garson playing, and he's f--ing amazing.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »

It's funny--you seem to much prefer his glam period, which, while I fully acknowledge it's what put him on the map in the first place, I feel pales compared to what he did between 1976 - 1980.  Starting with Station to Station, he was just amazingly good.  Yeah, Lodger was weaker, but it has Look Back in Anger. And DJ.  And Fantastic Voyage.  There's good stuff in there, just not as good as the previous few.

right. that was the one song on it i liked. i couldn't believe i didn't remember how bad it was. i actually own the album too.

I always forget about the first album and always consider Space Oddity to be his first.

right. the first album is full of personality and potential for a huge superstar. i love how direct and cohesive it is.

just finished the Ziggy Stardust concert film which i had no clue existed. Happened to find a copy of it at the used dvd store down the street. loved it!

anyone else seen this?

No, but you just gave me a week end mission, should I chose to accept!

Look out record stores 8)

i found 1 copy of it at the used dvd/cd store by my house, i couldn't believe they had it. neither could the clerk who clearly wanted it for himself, we talked classic rock and touring classic rock artists for a while hahaha.

i loved the concert but yea it was a lil shoddy in spot, blurry too. i suppose i'm just spoiled with the live concerts i've seen post-1980 in general. This and a Queen blu-ray are the 2 oldest concert films i have, but 73, well Queen may be 74.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:41:00 PM by THRILLHO »

Boom Cha!

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
No love for Lodger? I really like that album.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »
I love Bowie. Treeeeeeeeeemendous artist. But i have to say...one of my fave lesser known songs of his...is Putting out the fire (Gasoline)

Are you talking about the song Cat People? I agree it's a great song and it does get overshadowed by the bigger hits on Let's Dance.

Can anyone say, Stevie Ray Vaughn?  Not to change the topic, but a much overlooked artist some 25 years since his passing.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »

7 songs, 45 minutes, influenced by Can and Kraftwerk, containing "Gregorian chants, a soul section, various electronic beats and bleeps and Bowie's distinctive vocals." From what it sounds, if it's half as great as it is ambitious, it could be excellent.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »

7 songs, 45 minutes, influenced by Can and Kraftwerk, containing "Gregorian chants, a soul section, various electronic beats and bleeps and Bowie's distinctive vocals." From what it sounds, if it's half as great as it is ambitious, it could be excellent.

I read about this this morning. It's exciting to hear that he's still taking risks this late in his career.

It sounds like his song Sue was a hint for things to come.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »
Oh, and here's a little clip of his song Blackstar:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »
i still haven't heard Sue i meant to dl that, ill look it up on itunes.

if this is half as good as Next Day i'm in. and i really like that he's layin low and not touring. i mean i'd like to see him live but i'm ALL for bands retiring with dignity and taking it easy.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »

Looks like the rumors have been confirmed! Lead single on Nov. 20th with the album coming out on his birthday, Jan. 8th.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
yes!!!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
I'm in!