Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 11582 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
And, BOOM! Here it is!!

NYTW ANNOUNCES WORLD PREMIERE OF LAZARUS

Theres a starman waiting in the sky...

It is with much pleasure and great excitement that we can confirm the Winter 2015 New York production of LAZARUS by David Bowie and Enda Walsh.

LAZARUS is inspired by the 1963 novel, The Man Who Fell To Earth by Walter Tevis, and centres on the character of Thomas Jerome Newton, famously portrayed by Bowie in the 1976 screen adaptation directed by Nicolas Roeg.

LAZARUS features songs specially composed by Bowie for this production as well as new arrangements of previously recorded songs.

Read the full press release on DavidBowie.com. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

MUST SEE!! Now to get tickets! Ha!

And, YES to the songs!! Oh my!

LAZARUS features songs specially composed by Mr. Bowie for this production as well as new arrangements of previously recorded songs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:28:02 AM by mdmomof7 »

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
I'd also recommend the Best Of Bowie as it gives a good timeline to work from. My favourite periods are 69-73 and 77-83.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
I've heard three songs of his: China Girl, Let's Dance, and Under Pressure. And I love them! What would the Bowie fans here suggest I listen to in order to get to know his music more?

Every album from Hunky Dory through Scary Monsters, beginning in the middle with Station to Station.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
Fame!

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
I second the suggestions for looking at the Best of Bowie compilation.  I started there because my wife had it.  I then expanded based on certain songs I liked and as I learned more about his progressing style changes. 

As a fan of Achtung Baby, I was drawn to the Eno produced Low, Heroes, and Lodger trio of Bowie albums, which I tend to like the most.  I've also liked Outside and Earthling, which incorporated a more industrial/alternative sound.  They're decidedly 90's albums, but I still like the 90's too.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »
Suffragete city

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
More on the new David Bowie project here -

David Bowie's Secret Theater Project 'Lazarus' to Feature New Songs

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »
I would definitely recommend The Singles Collection for anyone just getting into Bowie. I also love the Heathen album, though it took a few listens to appreciate.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 07:52:27 AM »
Pssst.....I'm sure the advice here is appreciated, but the original post was written 6 years ago.  I'm guessing they picked an album by now.  ;)  I almost posted something similar until I saw the post date.

I suppose this speaks to just starting a new thread rather than dig up one six years old to post about a particular artist...

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 11:44:28 AM »
Pssst.....I'm sure the advice here is appreciated, but the original post was written 6 years ago.  I'm guessing they picked an album by now.  ;)  I almost posted something similar until I saw the post date.

That's why I didn't address the OP specifically. :) I'm sure they're not the last person ever to discover Bowie!

Offline ziggy1208

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Major Tom Played Guitar
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
Hello! I'm really fan of David! He's god of music! I create a facebook page on David to discover him by pic, music, art....I invite you to visit my page and maybe to like it!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 10:20:03 PM »
DAMN The Next Day <and the bonus tracks!!!> is SOOOO GOOOD!

i've had it since it came out but don't listen to it nearly enough!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 08:13:09 AM »
Out of curiosity, is there anyone apart from me who isn't particularly keen on the song Heroes? People are always going on about how amazing it is, and I'm just like... huh? It's never sounded that impressive to me - not sure what I'm missing.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »

Out of curiosity, is there anyone apart from me who isn't particularly keen on the song Heroes? People are always going on about how amazing it is, and I'm just like... huh? It's never sounded that impressive to me - not sure what I'm missing.

Nope! You might be alone in this.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 10:12:02 PM »

Nope! You might be alone in this.

Agreed, I love that song so much.