Author Topic: Live tour downloads  (Read 3563 times)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
Live tour downloads
« on: November 30, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
Let's hope U2 see sense and set up a website for live downloads like many bands are doing these days. Noticed Counting Crows and Crowded House recently have gone down this route among others.

It would certainly keep the fans happy and also help the boys buy a couple of ponies for the kids.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:46:05 PM by Joe90usa »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Re: Live tour downloads
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
Agreed 100%. I'll go broke if they do this...

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »
I'm with Matt - this could prove very expensive.

I love the Counting Crows and am damned annoyed that they're only touring Australia as a support to The Who. They're one of the best for making tracks sound very different in a live setting. So whether it's them or U2, how would you chose which concert(s) to download. Do you rely on Willie's Tour Diary or other fan reviews to identify great shows? How do you get 'bang for your buck"?

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »
How much are Counting Crowes/Crowdies charging for the downloads?

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:36:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How much are Counting Crowes/Crowdies charging for the downloads?

thats right!

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »
Pearl Jam does that, too.  You can buy a cd (or I think download) any concert from their tour.  Pretty reasonable price considering it's soundboard quality. 

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
I would only agree with this if they released the complete, unedited concert from the Front of House sound desk audio feed.  Otherwise, it would be same as getting a crappy bootleg from an amateur taper who used all the wrong settings.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
Metallica does it, $9.95 for mp3, 11.95 for FLAC

Typically all are available on the usual torrent sites within a day or 2

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
I agree also if it was soundboard audio with the full concert. 

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
If and when it happens, I would imagine it would be predetermined shows that wouldn't emerge right away (read:  planned, produced, post-produced, mixed, and $$$).  They would probably pick which city they want to focus on in advance, just like they would for a film shoot.  I could see U2 recording and releasing 1 show from each leg of the Horizonless Tour.

Which city would you suggest for them to pick?

My top picks would be:
1. Miami
2. Seattle
3. Katowice, Poland

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:31 AM »
I could see them being all knit picky about the performance of an audio download but a lot of their fans really don't care if they got the timing right or if Bono remembered a lyric.  I think some of their best performances are the one's I have on bootleg. 

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »
A few years ago I saw Echo and the Bunnymen at the Fillmore in San Francisco. Right after the show, you could wait around for 15-20 minutes and buy the 2 CD set of the very same show from that night. Two silver CDs, a jewel case, and artwork original to the San Francisco show for a flat 20 bucks. The sound was good, too. The Fillmore is a great sounding venue.

Then in 2006 or 2007, The Who did the same thing. except you had to order the show you wanted online, and it was available about 6 weeks after the night of the show. And you could order any show from their tour. Either a double CD set, or a DVD. I got the CDs for around 30 bucks, and they sound absolutely great. I think the DVD was around the same price, too.

silvrlvr

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
I can't see U2 doing this, for a couple of reasons. One, they're behind the times on technology (as witness U2.com and statements by Paul McGuinness about file sharing.) Two, they want to sell their CD, not individual concert CDs, their royalty structure is based on that. Third, in this economy, there's no way they'd want live CD recordings circulating, because if they have a bad night and the recording winds up on the Web, it could affect the tour down the road.

(Don't say they never had a bad night, because I have a bootleg of a concert I went to a couple years back, and Bono had voice trouble. As a live experience, it was great, but it's hard to listen to it now.)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »
Not sure exactly what the extent of the contract is with Live nation, but I know that LiveNation are involved with live concert shows for other artists so it makes sense that U2 would also have that option with LiveNation.
U2 also own the rights to all their songs so there is no complication there.
They have also shown that they are willing to release live CDs through their fanclub egZOOTV,Slane  .
If there were bad nights, and I'm with you there I have several boots from Elevation tous and JT tour where is voice was shot, so they would just not release those particular shows.

I think moreso than at any other time the opportunity is there to satisfy the millions of U2 fans who would lap up live shows from the soundboard.
And we have all seen how strong the thirst of the U2 organisation is for more moola in recent years! It would be a logical and proftable step for the band to make at this time.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
Lets not forget those live CD's they've released through the fanclub, a good portion of people have ripped the audio from the DVDs.....