Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17312 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:02:17 PM »
for starters, i obviously love u2. secondly, i whole-heartedly applaud all of the causes u2 as a band support. they are probably one of (if not THE) most noble bands in the history of music. as regards humanitiarian and social issues, their music and it's subject matter speaks for itself, and i, for one, couldn't agree more with the band.

am i wrong in stating that we all recognise their position on these issues, and that we don't need reminding of them when we see them live in concert? i don't like oasis, and i'm not particularly fond of the gallagher brothers generally, but there's one thing i had to agree with which came from the mouth of noel, and it was when he was commenting on bono's "preaching", particularly on the last tour. when bono spent about 5 mins talking about Africa etc.. gallagher pointed out that he wanted bono to "f*ck up and just sing ONE".

u2, (bono, really) will get plenty of airtime on TV to promote these (noble) issues. their music and lyrics alone are enough to carry the message. the thing which annoys me slightly is the sight of bono preaching during a concert, when he is generally preaching to the converted, i presume.

the sad fact is, it comes across as patronising and slightly condescending when we hear bono "going on a bit". bono knows that the majority of u2 fans are intelligent. the whole world knows where the band stands regarding particular issues. so, imho, there is no need. i hope when i go to croke park in dublin, he isn't going to refer to the latest outbreak of dissident republican violence here in the north of ireland during, for example, sunday bloody sunday. the Whole country is against the violence, we know u2 are against it. just play the music and leave out the messages. sorry for going on a bit here, but i hate the idea that u2's often cheesy concert sloganeering could become as much a part of their legacy as their magnificent music. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:18:17 PM by miami »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:07:26 PM »
I see it as anything but cheesy. I am looking forward to his talking about issues that matter to him. They matter to me, too. I want to know that he feels he can share these feelings with us. To me, that's what sets U2 apart from other bands. They care about what is going on in the world and hope their fans do too.

The recent events in Northern Ireland hurt every Irish man and woman. It's only natural that he speak about it.

I'll be wearing my One campaign bracelet proudly.

Birdlover

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:19:42 PM »
I agree with Miami for the most part.

Some of these many issues deserve a mention,I am not denying that, but not a 5 minute mention.

The blindfold bit on the last tour left me cold to be honest. It was a good point(religous tolerance) but it could have been made in a better and much shorter way.

I'll be In Croker too !

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »
my point is, we all know what u2 are about, and i, for one, agree with 99% for what they stand for. i just think a concert is the wrong place to stand up and preach about it. they get plenty of airtime on tv to TALK about these issues. the music speaks for itself and that's why i love the band.

i'm from ireland, and the latest outbreak of violence hurts me too, particularly because these people are desecrating the opinions of 99.9% of the people on this island.. there's no better way to express this revulsion by singing sunday bloody sunday at the top of our voices. we all know it is an anti-violence song, we just don't need bono's slightly patronising preaching on the matter during a concert, especially when he spends zero time here in the north of ireland. we know he is supping wine in southern france or new york most of the time. i'm not saying he doesn't care about the situation here, or anywhere else in the world, but let the music do the talking, "please".... if you know what i mean.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
there's no better way to express this revulsion by singing sunday bloody sunday at the top of our voices.

Here here.

Offline rev.hart

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
"Am I buggin' you?  Don't me to... bug ya.  Okay Edge, play the blues!"

:)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »
I agree with Miami for the most part.

Some of these many issues deserve a mention,I am not denying that, but not a 5 minute mention.

The blindfold bit on the last tour left me cold to be honest. It was a good point(religous tolerance) but it could have been made in a better and much shorter way.

I'll be In Croker too !

looking forward to croker! falling...

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
"Am I buggin' you?  Don't me to... bug ya.  Okay Edge, play the blues!"

:)

he must know it bugs us! :D
we don't need a social political lesson when we go to a u2 concert do we?! our very presence at a u2 concert should signify we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »
It's a U2 concert.

If this really bothers you, you never should have gotten on the bus.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
I hear what you're saying miami...I too am already more than on board with what Bono says, so it's not like he needs to convince me or anything...at the same time, I have to say it doesn't really bug me that he feels the need to "preach it". The fact that he's willing to get serious and get heartfelt even if it makes people uncomfortable (and you know he KNOWS it makes people uncomfortable) is part of what makes him Bono. Some people find it annoying; I find it endearing. That stuff takes guts, as far as I'm concerned. I think he sees it as a moment in time when a whole lot of people are feeling really connected with one another, and he's taking the opportunity to try and focus the energy of that connection of something he sees as problem in the world. Hey, it's a risk. Sometimes it falls flat, but sometimes I've seen it work, and when it does it's pretty amazing. Again, the fact that he takes those risks is one of the reasons I love him.

Plus - I REALLY don't think it will be what becomes U2's legacy...I think they're kind of okay in that department  :)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
i got on the bus DESPITE the preaching. i simply love their music and their social consciousness. we all know bono's heart is in the right place. it gets a bit vulgar when he patronises us all at a gig. i'm glad larry mullen put a clock on this vulgarity during the last tour. for all the negative things said about larry, at least he has his feet on the ground and has a better understanding of what people don't want to put up with at a concert. MR T, i don't want to come across as insulting or anything, but do you want to put up with an amateur politician telling you what issues you should be concerned about in the world . are u2 fans not savvy enough to understand what u2 stand for without the preaching between/during songs?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:11:08 PM by miami »

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
i got on the bus DESPITE the preaching. i simply love their musicand their social consciousnes. we all know bono's heart is in the right place. it gets a bit vulgar when he patronises us all at a gig. i'm glad larry mullen put a clock on this vulgarity during the last tour. for all the negative things said about larry, at least he has his feet on the ground and has a better understanding of what people don't want to put up with at a concert. MR T, i don't want to come across as insulting or anything, but do you want to put up with an amateur politician telling you what issues you should be concerned about in the world . are u2 fans not savvy enough to understand what u2 stand for without the preaching between/during songs?

I'll listen to what most anyone has to say about something important to them. Doesn't bother me, whether it's Bono, or the janitor at my office, or my Mom. 

I have less patience for "actual" politicians.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:15:45 PM by Mr. T »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
i got on the bus DESPITE the preaching. i simply love their musicand their social consciousnes. we all know bono's heart is in the right place. it gets a bit vulgar when he patronises us all at a gig. i'm glad larry mullen put a clock on this vulgarity during the last tour. for all the negative things said about larry, at least he has his feet on the ground and has a better understanding of what people don't want to put up with at a concert. MR T, i don't want to come across as insulting or anything, but do you want to put up with an amateur politician telling you what issues you should be concerned about in the world . are u2 fans not savvy enough to understand what u2 stand for without the preaching between/during songs?

I'll listen to what most anyone has to say about something important to them. Doesn't bother me, whether it's Bono, or the janitor at my office, or my Mom. 

I have less patience for "actual" politicians.

yeah, good point. i don't like most politicians very much either. but bono is slowly turning into one. his public evasiveness on the "war on terror" was blatently obvious as he didn't want to offend bush publicly in case bush wouldn't commit to africa. bono's cause is a noble one, but he is walking a fine line  in his promotion of it. he is brave, that's for sure. but is there a need for preaching at a concert? that's the point here. i just don't like being patronised, that's all. it's fine with me when bono states during an INTERVIEW what his beliefs are. but concerts are for SINGING and PLAYING. they have an adequate amount of of socio-political songs to carry their message around the world in my book.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 09:41:24 PM by miami »

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »
his public evasiveness on the "war on terror" was blatently obvious as he didn't want to offend bush publicly in case bush wouldn't commit to africa.

You have a problem with this?

He's supposed to call GW a d*****bag on Monday, then go begging for increased aid on Tuesday?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:02:29 PM »
i didn't expect him to call GW a d*****bag one day, and then go begging GW another day for help in Africa. I expected Bono to be honest and up front about the "Immoral" war on Iraq, and then go about asking Bush and his administration for aid in Africa. if bono's pacifist leanings had the net result that the USA wouldn't commit fully to africa, then that would have shown up bush and his cronies for what they were. i doubt even bush would let bono's view on the war influence how much his administration commited to africa. if that had have been the case, it would be a sad state of affairs that aid to africa could be influnced by a rock-star's stance on a war. or is that really how politics works these days?