Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17255 times)

Revolver7

Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »
Africa needs more than just money

When U2 talks about Ireland, it's different, because they are Irish Citizens, and because Ireland is their home.

I'm not saying you have to be from Africa to speak for Africa...it's just, things need to be done differently. I think listening to the African People is a better approach.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Another African with whom white liberals have a problem

There's more than one opinion out there, I'm not saying either one is correct because frankly I don't know, but aid hasn't yet worked, so maybe, just maybe it's time we shoould listen to the Africans rather than the white journalist, rockstars, etc.

just a thought....

...but no-one's claiming it's purely about aid - not even Bono. The message at Live 8 was that there were three priorities: debt cancellation, aid, and fair trade initiatives. Of course, two of those are easy and look good, so G8 leaders leapt on those and ignored one - guess which. As the Guardian article notes, Africa has also been plagued by weak states, dictatorships and social instability, and as I'm about to point out, it's been subjected to numerous ruinous IMF SAPs.

"We can't fix every problem corruption, natural calamities are part of the picture here but the ones we can we must."

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »

There's more than one opinion out there, I'm not saying either one is correct because frankly I don't know, but aid hasn't yet worked, so maybe, just maybe it's time we shoould listen to the Africans rather than the white journalist, rockstars, etc.

just a thought....

...but no-one's claiming it's purely about aid - not even Bono. The message at Live 8 was that there were three priorities: debt cancellation, aid, and fair trade initiatives. Of course, two of those are easy and look good, so G8 leaders leapt on those and ignored one - guess which. As the Guardian article notes, Africa has also been plagued by weak states, dictatorships and social instability, and as I'm about to point out, it's been subjected to numerous ruinous IMF SAPs.

"We can't fix every problem corruption, natural calamities are part of the picture here but the ones we can we must."

Sounds like we might be agreeing a bunch of soundbites and speeches at a rock concert aren't really the best use of the time given th ecomplexity of the situation.

;)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »

just a thought....

True, it IS hard to know what approach is correct (likely no single approach is THE RIGHT APPROACH) and lots of people a lot more expert than Bono are working a lot harder on trying to figure that out. And I fully agree that African voices should be the voices that are listened to above all others. My take on it, for what it`s worth, is that a lot of the issues that Africa faces can`t be solved without the involvement of the developed world (who, after all, helped create a lot of those problems) - and involvement doesn`t necessarily have to mean direct and unconditional aid; involvement might mean things we change in our own way of life; or perhaps investing some of our medical research dollars in the diseases of the developing world, which otherwise will remain underfunded - to name just one example. Whatever action is taken, it requires political will to act, and that in turn requires a sense of investment from ordinary people in developed countries. What interests me about Bono`s approach is that it seems to work on both fronts. I`m not convinced by the argument that Bono`s campaigning is bad because all he wants is for governments to throw good money after bad...first of all, I think his knowledge of the issues does go a LITTLE bit deeper than that, and second of all no matter how much influence he`s built up, I don`t really think he`s at the point where he`s helping to shape specific policies. But I do think he makes a lot of people care more than they otherwise would, and it`s hard to see how that`s a bad thing!

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »

just a thought....

Sounds like we might be agreeing a bunch of soundbites and speeches at a rock concert aren't really the best use of the time given th ecomplexity of the situation.

;)

That last quote would only be a reasonable argument if the goal of said soundbites and speeches at a concert was to fully educate people remember.  It is pretty clear, that is NOT the goal.  The goal is to raise awareness, consciousness and discussion. 

If not for rockstars, celebrities, etc raising the level of media attention, this discussion would not be happening here, and elsewhere.  The media attention and even political attention would not be given to the the problems of Africa anywhere near to the extent it is now, and the market for "Dead Aid" would not be what it is now.  It is questionable that any such books, in support or in attack of Aid would even be published if the topic wasnt as high profile as it is now.  The amount of books, and the attention on the subject, would certainly be minuscule comparative to its presence now.  Need proof?  Check the number or articles, books, news bytes stories, etc on Africa before Bono and other celebrities got involved.

Offline beau99

• Stateless
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2009, 01:05:29 AM »
Well said - play the music - that's where the message is.

But keep your big, embarrassing mouth shut - and please, no more sunglasses.

U2 I love your music but bono, you really can be a d**k.
1. Bono's not a d**k.

2. He needs the sunglasses. Many people have no idea he has hypersensitvity to lights. I have the same condition, actually.

Offline Bonoman99

• Wanderer
  • This is me.
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
Carry on Bono...I can't believe how stupid some people are..Bono takes time out singing on stage to say what he has to say,I do not see the problem..Football matches have half time..and American Football and Tv have so many adverts you actually forget what your supposed to be watching..At least at a U2 concert you remember what he has said or sung..So even if its annoying for the fickle your still bloody listening..

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: .
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »
If I reply to that Jick, I would get banned. If pulling out my cell and texting to One during a concert helps save a life? Or if one person walks out of a show and writes a politican. Then its all good, IMO. I can do without the 1 to 3 songs. 

Hmm,gimme the extra songs anytime,thats what i pay to see! If i want to talk politics,which i dont,then i'll join a political group or something,politics and religion,the 2 biggest devisive,hypocritical,war mongering elements of life that there is,i go to a concert to be entertained and have a good time,so i basically ignore the B.S. that goes with it! 

joegtheog

« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
I go to church to be preached to.  How dare they interrupt the sermon with hymns.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »
If I reply to that Jick, I would get banned. If pulling out my cell and texting to One during a concert helps save a life? Or if one person walks out of a show and writes a politican. Then its all good, IMO. I can do without the 1 to 3 songs. 

Hmm,gimme the extra songs anytime,thats what i pay to see! If i want to talk politics,which i dont,then i'll join a political group or something,politics and religion,the 2 biggest devisive,hypocritical,war mongering elements of life that there is,i go to a concert to be entertained and have a good time,so i basically ignore the B.S. that goes with it! 

then maybe U2 isn't the band you should be paying to see(?)
keep it up Bono

joegtheog

« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »

Make sure you dont listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bullet the Blue Sky when they are played live.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

Make sure you dont listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bullet the Blue Sky when they are played live.

On the contrary,i like the songs,they are great,just dont like the preaching between the songs thats all

joegtheog

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »
Then plugging your ears and thinking happy thoughts may be your best course of action during the "preaching".  :)

Offline Bonoman99

• Wanderer
  • This is me.
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2009, 05:11:43 AM »

Most of you miss the point in that all bands have a break,and then an encore at the end,Bono chooses to stay on the stage,or quickly get off to change his clothes and freshen up,and add this to his shows,while other bands leave the stage for a period of time.

Its not only Bono taking a 5 minute breather from singing but the others need a break from playing to get drinks etc...On the vertigo tour at Twickenham it ws bloody hot,the temperature was 109 degress at their level,then add all the lights to,after the 2nd night I was ill due to the heat yet Im only watching them,if you want extra songs that are not scheduled in the show then take an ipod while they take a break.So bleeding fickle it makes me mad,and what constitutes value for money anyways...The Zoo Tv tour they just broke even,so although you were paying the band did not make a penny.

countrygirl

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »
I actually like Bono's preaching!!!!