Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17264 times)

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »
SBS, BTBS, Pride have ALWAYS had some message in them form the first day they were played live.

Where the Vertigo tour took it further was by adding the 'preaching' to Streets, the long winded speeches on 'One' , the potty-break Human rights video, etc.

Too much.

Scale it back to the same level as previous tours.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
It seems their songs tell their  political and religious beliefs and purpose.  I do not mind being preached to if it is a benefit. Atleast all of the money is going to the cause.  My problem is charging $200 for a ticket then being preached to a lot.  I agree with many, that the last tour got to be a bit too much. 

Have speeches between the acts.  Have all of the booths to present the things they believe in.  But, too much preaching during the show does seem a bit for me.  And, this is from a person who believes in most everything they talk about. But, I also have my own 'charities' and causes I have a great deal of involvement with ( I am a public school teacher and volunteer at the local animal shelter).

Most of us do things to help. BUT, I come to a concert to escape and let loose.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
Bring back the mirrorball man!

#@!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2009, 12:05:58 AM »
Asking Bono not to preach is like asking him not to breathe. It is in his DNA.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »
I want to see how hard economic times have affected the used-car salesman that is the mirrorball man  :D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So true!  He is 49 years old and he is not going to change.  ;)

zip

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »

Strong are you sayin us 40 types tend to get set in our ways....?    ;)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »

Strong are you sayin us 40 types tend to get set in our ways....?    ;)

Yep!!!  That includes me too zip!! ;)

Offline highway190

• Refugee
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
Let him say whatever he wants.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »

Amen!

Offline highway190

• Refugee
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »

Amen!

Amen here too.

And if people don't like the preaching...I won't say it.

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »
i love everything and anything Bono says! ;) ;D

daveyg

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2009, 05:23:38 AM »
To be honest, I pay for my U2 tickets to go see U2 play their songs, not to listen to a ten minute "put your phones in the air" speech. It was fine in small portions way back but it seems to be taking over their shows these days. I'm not saying stop - just scale the speeches back a bit, and give us what we came for - music.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2009, 10:12:32 PM »
I love the full fledged unabashed cheering for censorship

I also love the notion that politics, social activism, and entertainment are mutually exclusive and cannot coexist.

I love the idea that thinking, opinions, and debate are enemies to fun and entertainment

I love the idea that anything remotely controversial, that could annoy someone, that could be in conflict with some people's views or opinions or beliefs, or that a person should not have an ego or think thier opinion matters have any place IN ROCK N ROLL!!!

To all you that believe in the crap above... You are the enemy or art, democracy, freedom, and the ideals of rock n roll:

-If Bono wants to preach make a speech or crap on stage screw you,,, He can do what he wants its rock n roll, dont try to dictate it.

-You are the reason music and movie execs give us mindless drivel to watch and listen to like Nickelback and Creed and Dawson's Creek, Dancing with the Stars, and why the dumb summer blockbuster is not just during summer anymore.

Now dont get me wrong... just like when there is too much dialogue in a movie... too much speech can be a drag.  However, this is not the norm. 
-The norm at a U2 concert during the Vertigo Tour (which had more "speech time" than any tour from ZooTV forward) is no more than 6 minutes total - This includes the speech before Miracle Drug, the Human Rights video, and the speech before One. 
-I have 45 boots all different nites from all legs of the tour. 
-The running time for this tour ranged from 1.9 hrs to 2.5 hrs.
-This means anywhere from 114 minutes to 150 minutes
-The songs played range from 21 to 25.
-Lack of speeches DID NOT account for more songs, compare Vegas nite 1 (23 songs and more speeech time) to Vegas Nite 2 (22 songs and less speech time).
-Less speech = more songs.  --- This is a myth.
-This means people are complaining about anywhere from 4.9% to 0.033% of their concert time (5 divided by 114, 5 divided by 150)
-Lets use the non norm and say 10 minutes of speech time (much more than usual):
----8.77% to 6.66% (10 divided by 114, 10 divided by 150)
-Exaggerate some more - 15 minutes speech time (This is REALLY rare, none of my bootlegs have anywhere near this):
----13.15% to 10.00%.  OK here complaining would be acceptable. 

Remember however, this is TOTAL speech time so its not like 1 long block, for the Vertigo tour this is usually split up between 3 separate times - intro to Miracle Drug, Intro to One and the Human Rights video... (And I know someone is going to mention 1 single concert where Bono rambled for 15 mins.  ya... 1 concert.  That's more than enough support to justify censorship).

I imagine that this is also time used to switch or mess with backingtracks, visuals, gives Larry and everyone a chance to rest, drink etc.  I've seen bands messing with their instruments/equipment for 2 or more minutes in silence, so have you.   

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
I love the full fledged unabashed cheering for censorship

I also love the notion that politics, social activism, and entertainment are mutually exclusive and cannot coexist.

I love the idea that thinking, opinions, and debate are enemies to fun and entertainment

I love the idea that anything remotely controversial, that could annoy someone, that could be in conflict with some people's views or opinions or beliefs, or that a person should not have an ego or think thier opinion matters have any place IN ROCK N ROLL!!!

To all you that believe in the crap above... You are the enemy or art, democracy, freedom, and the ideals of rock n roll:

-If Bono wants to preach make a speech or crap on stage screw you,,, He can do what he wants its rock n roll, dont try to dictate it.

-You are the reason music and movie execs give us mindless drivel to watch and listen to like Nickelback and Creed and Dawson's Creek, Dancing with the Stars, and why the dumb summer blockbuster is not just during summer anymore.

Now dont get me wrong... just like when there is too much dialogue in a movie... too much speech can be a drag.  However, this is not the norm. 
-The norm at a U2 concert during the Vertigo Tour (which had more "speech time" than any tour from ZooTV forward) is no more than 6 minutes total - This includes the speech before Miracle Drug, the Human Rights video, and the speech before One. 
-I have 45 boots all different nites from all legs of the tour. 
-The running time for this tour ranged from 1.9 hrs to 2.5 hrs.
-This means anywhere from 114 minutes to 150 minutes
-The songs played range from 21 to 25.
-Lack of speeches DID NOT account for more songs, compare Vegas nite 1 (23 songs and more speeech time) to Vegas Nite 2 (22 songs and less speech time).
-Less speech = more songs.  --- This is a myth.
-This means people are complaining about anywhere from 4.9% to 0.033% of their concert time (5 divided by 114, 5 divided by 150)
-Lets use the non norm and say 10 minutes of speech time (much more than usual):
----8.77% to 6.66% (10 divided by 114, 10 divided by 150)
-Exaggerate some more - 15 minutes speech time (This is REALLY rare, none of my bootlegs have anywhere near this):
----13.15% to 10.00%.  OK here complaining would be acceptable. 

Remember however, this is TOTAL speech time so its not like 1 long block, for the Vertigo tour this is usually split up between 3 separate times - intro to Miracle Drug, Intro to One and the Human Rights video... (And I know someone is going to mention 1 single concert where Bono rambled for 15 mins.  ya... 1 concert.  That's more than enough support to justify censorship).

I imagine that this is also time used to switch or mess with backingtracks, visuals, gives Larry and everyone a chance to rest, drink etc.  I've seen bands messing with their instruments/equipment for 2 or more minutes in silence, so have you.   

This took me 1.5% more minutes to read than I hoped it would.  :)