Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17276 times)

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love the full fledged unabashed cheering for censorship

I also love the notion that politics, social activism, and entertainment are mutually exclusive and cannot coexist.

I love the idea that thinking, opinions, and debate are enemies to fun and entertainment

I love the idea that anything remotely controversial, that could annoy someone, that could be in conflict with some people's views or opinions or beliefs, or that a person should not have an ego or think thier opinion matters have any place IN ROCK N ROLL!!!

To all you that believe in the crap above... You are the enemy or art, democracy, freedom, and the ideals of rock n roll:

-If Bono wants to preach make a speech or crap on stage screw you,,, He can do what he wants its rock n roll, dont try to dictate it.

-You are the reason music and movie execs give us mindless drivel to watch and listen to like Nickelback and Creed and Dawson's Creek, Dancing with the Stars, and why the dumb summer blockbuster is not just during summer anymore.

Now dont get me wrong... just like when there is too much dialogue in a movie... too much speech can be a drag.  However, this is not the norm. 

You said it all. If you don't want to spend your money to hear "the preaching" then don't go.  No one is forcing you to buy a ticket.
Or go get your f****** beer during the speech instead of when they're playing a song. You know what? I hope they throw in a 10 minute human rights video just to pi*s people off.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2009, 12:04:35 AM »
We pay U2 for their music, we don't pay them for their humanitarian work.  Actually, it would be irresponsible to let us pay for their humanitarian work because it would be unjust enrichment on their part to profit on the plight of the needy.

In a concert, we pay to get a U2 performance with great music - not long rants and speeches.  If Bono was paid a dime for every speech he makes for the plight of the needy, how would surely make a lot of money by now - at the expense of the needy.

The fans want to come out of the show with a great musical experience.  No everyone goes to a concert just to "get enlightened" about the plight of Africans and then come out feeling like they should write their politicians a letter.  It is simply the wrong avenue to preach.

We are losing 1 to 3 songs because of Bono's preaching.

Cheers,

J

You're missing no songs whatsoever. Actually the Vertigo sets were longer on average than Elevation. Go see Bon Jovi.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2009, 12:32:55 AM »

I also love the notion that politics, social activism, and entertainment are mutually exclusive and cannot coexist.

I love the idea that thinking, opinions, and debate are enemies to fun and entertainment

I love the idea that anything remotely controversial, that could annoy someone, that could be in conflict with some people's views or opinions or beliefs, or that a person should not have an ego or think thier opinion matters have any place IN ROCK N ROLL!!!

To all you that believe in the crap above... You are the enemy or art, democracy, freedom, and the ideals of rock n roll:

-If Bono wants to preach make a speech or crap on stage screw you,,, He can do what he wants its rock n roll, dont try to dictate it.

-You are the reason music and movie execs give us mindless drivel to watch and listen to like Nickelback and Creed and Dawson's Creek, Dancing with the Stars, and why the dumb summer blockbuster is not just during summer anymore.

Now dont get me wrong... just like when there is too much dialogue in a movie... too much speech can be a drag.  However, this is not the norm. 

You said it all. If you don't want to spend your money to hear "the preaching" then don't go.  No one is forcing you to buy a ticket.
Or go get your f****** beer during the speech instead of when they're playing a song. You know what? I hope they throw in a 10 minute human rights video just to pi*s people off.

Exactly I agree, hit the beer stand. No one makes you stand there and listen.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2009, 02:26:26 AM »
They throw in a 10 mins human rights video im out of there,i have my own thoughtson that,i dont need anybody else preaching to me about it,no matter who they are!

daveyg

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2009, 03:28:57 AM »
The recent Dublin interview (the clips are posted in the video section) indicated that Bono was going to let the world know about Ireland and how great a country it was during the tour. Dunno if it's an indication of change of preeching topic for him.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2009, 06:44:46 AM »
That i dont have a problem with,nothing wrong with letting people know that you're proud of where you come from,its preaching politics and religion that does me!

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »

Amen!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
not that it would be as beneficial to his causes...but I'm kind of fond of 'pi**ed Off Bono'. I'd like to see a return of him someday soon.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
The recent Dublin interview (the clips are posted in the video section) indicated that Bono was going to let the world know about Ireland and how great a country it was during the tour. Dunno if it's an indication of change of preeching topic for him.

Oh God, hope it's not like an advertising scheme to get tourists  :-\

daveyg

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:36 AM »

It wont be far off!! Dancing Leprauchauns on teh screens behind them! Get your Riverdance gear on and get ready for Bono doing a few "Dis Dat and De Odders"

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »

It wont be far off!! Dancing Leprauchauns on teh screens behind them! Get your Riverdance gear on and get ready for Bono doing a few "Dis Dat and De Odders"

Promotional Consideration of the Advertisment was brought to you by the likes of Paul Hewson  :D

Offline DarkRidley (Chief Kitty Kat Utilities Officer)

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Always just a touch away
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »

-The norm at a U2 concert during the Vertigo Tour (which had more "speech time" than any tour from ZooTV forward) is no more than 6 minutes total - This includes the speech before Miracle Drug, the Human Rights video, and the speech before One. 
-I have 45 boots all different nites from all legs of the tour. 
-The running time for this tour ranged from 1.9 hrs to 2.5 hrs.
-This means anywhere from 114 minutes to 150 minutes
-The songs played range from 21 to 25.
-Lack of speeches DID NOT account for more songs, compare Vegas nite 1 (23 songs and more speeech time) to Vegas Nite 2 (22 songs and less speech time).
-Less speech = more songs.  --- This is a myth.
-This means people are complaining about anywhere from 4.9% to 0.033% of their concert time (5 divided by 114, 5 divided by 150)
-Lets use the non norm and say 10 minutes of speech time (much more than usual):
----8.77% to 6.66% (10 divided by 114, 10 divided by 150)
-Exaggerate some more - 15 minutes speech time (This is REALLY rare, none of my bootlegs have anywhere near this):
----13.15% to 10.00%.  OK here complaining would be acceptable. 

Remember however, this is TOTAL speech time so its not like 1 long block, for the Vertigo tour this is usually split up between 3 separate times - intro to Miracle Drug, Intro to One and the Human Rights video... (And I know someone is going to mention 1 single concert where Bono rambled for 15 mins.  ya... 1 concert.  That's more than enough support to justify censorship).

I imagine that this is also time used to switch or mess with backingtracks, visuals, gives Larry and everyone a chance to rest, drink etc.  I've seen bands messing with their instruments/equipment for 2 or more minutes in silence, so have you.   

TRUTH.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »

-The norm at a U2 concert during the Vertigo Tour (which had more "speech time" than any tour from ZooTV forward) is no more than 6 minutes total - This includes the speech before Miracle Drug, the Human Rights video, and the speech before One. 
-I have 45 boots all different nites from all legs of the tour. 
-The running time for this tour ranged from 1.9 hrs to 2.5 hrs.
-This means anywhere from 114 minutes to 150 minutes
-The songs played range from 21 to 25.
-Lack of speeches DID NOT account for more songs, compare Vegas nite 1 (23 songs and more speeech time) to Vegas Nite 2 (22 songs and less speech time).
-Less speech = more songs.  --- This is a myth.
-This means people are complaining about anywhere from 4.9% to 0.033% of their concert time (5 divided by 114, 5 divided by 150)
-Lets use the non norm and say 10 minutes of speech time (much more than usual):
----8.77% to 6.66% (10 divided by 114, 10 divided by 150)
-Exaggerate some more - 15 minutes speech time (This is REALLY rare, none of my bootlegs have anywhere near this):
----13.15% to 10.00%.  OK here complaining would be acceptable. 

Remember however, this is TOTAL speech time so its not like 1 long block, for the Vertigo tour this is usually split up between 3 separate times - intro to Miracle Drug, Intro to One and the Human Rights video... (And I know someone is going to mention 1 single concert where Bono rambled for 15 mins.  ya... 1 concert.  That's more than enough support to justify censorship).

I imagine that this is also time used to switch or mess with backingtracks, visuals, gives Larry and everyone a chance to rest, drink etc.  I've seen bands messing with their instruments/equipment for 2 or more minutes in silence, so have you.   

TRUTH.

I wonder if any of the complainers about the preaching have ever seen RATM or Roger Waters? Hahahahaa. They would have a coronary. Those two are some of my favorites BTW.

joegtheog

« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »
This is a general question to anyone in favor of Bono not "preaching" during concerts.

Do you feel that video clips of MLK and the reading of the declaration of human rights should be removed as well?

daveyg

« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
This is a general question to anyone in favor of Bono not "preaching" during concerts.

Do you feel that video clips of MLK and the reading of the declaration of human rights should be removed as well?

Well, considering Pride was ABOUT MLK, why not have him in?

But you have to consider it is U2 people are paying in to see. Not Bono promoting his political agenda, agree with it or disagree with it. That's what's bugs people. People pay to hear teh music of a band. If they want a Bono political issue, it's all avaialble on youtube.

On saying that, Bono probably will speech at every gig as it's part of his script he has made us expect. Want to see a gig and not a political gathering? Tch. Dont get annoyed. Get a toilet break or a beer. That's where I can be found in Croke Park when he starts off.