Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17306 times)

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
or is that really how politics works these days?

that's how politics have always worked.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
or is that really how politics works these days?

that's how politics have always worked.

the ends may have justified the means regarding bono's behaviour, but imo bono could have went about things in a more honourable manner, without affecting aid to africa. the bush administration would have looked even more foolish than they turned out to be if their african aid policies were influenced by 1 rock star's opposition to a war. surely bono could have afforded to be less diplomatic/evasive in his approach? anyway, i don't like being preached to during a concert  :D

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »
i didn't expect him to call GW a d*****bag one day, and then go begging GW another day for help in Africa. I expected Bono to be honest and up front about the "Immoral" war on Iraq, and then go about asking Bush and his administration for aid in Africa. if bono's pacifist leanings had the net result that the USA wouldn't commit fully to africa, then that would have shown up bush and his cronies for what they were. i doubt even bush would let bono's view on the war influence how much his administration commited to africa. if that had have been the case, it would be a sad state of affairs that aid to africa could be influnced by a rock-star's stance on a war. or is that really how politics works these days?

You make a good point here. I don't think it's Bono's stance that convinces them, but the hordes of fans he has. WE have power. The One Campaign proved it. He allows us to contribute to these causes by bringing them into the concert hall.

The one concert DVD I have is Vertigo. It really affects me when he talks about the Human Rights Campaign and One. No matter how many times I've watched it, those are my favorite parts of the show. Yes, I LOVE their music, but the music is the soundtrack to their beliefs.

The reason I fell in love with U2 was the song, Miss Sarajevo. Once I'd read Bill Carter's book about that awful situation I knew I had to get to know this band, this singer. So for me the music is icing on a very nutritious cake.

Birdlover

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »
i didn't expect him to call GW a d*****bag one day, and then go begging GW another day for help in Africa. I expected Bono to be honest and up front about the "Immoral" war on Iraq, and then go about asking Bush and his administration for aid in Africa. if bono's pacifist leanings had the net result that the USA wouldn't commit fully to africa, then that would have shown up bush and his cronies for what they were. i doubt even bush would let bono's view on the war influence how much his administration commited to africa. if that had have been the case, it would be a sad state of affairs that aid to africa could be influnced by a rock-star's stance on a war. or is that really how politics works these days?

You make a good point here. I don't think it's Bono's stance that convinces them, but the hordes of fans he has. WE have power. The One Campaign proved it. He allows us to contribute to these causes by bringing them into the concert hall.

The one concert DVD I have is Vertigo. It really affects me when he talks about the Human Rights Campaign and One. No matter how many times I've watched it, those are my favorite parts of the show. Yes, I LOVE their music, but the music is the soundtrack to their beliefs.

The reason I fell in love with U2 was the song, Miss Sarajevo. Once I'd read Bill Carter's book about that awful situation I knew I had to get to know this band, this singer. So for me the music is icing on a very nutritious cake.

Birdlover

i appreciate where you are coming from birdlover. i simply think that this "constituency" that bono talks about is a bit over-played. we all heard bono saying to blair and brown at the labour party conference that they were accountable for issues such as africa. it's well known that the british government fell well short of their pledges regarding africa, and yet when the election came around, aid to africa was non-existent on the general public's mind whenever voting influnces were measured. bread and butter issues such as the economy, education and health services etc... were (and will always be, sadly) to the fore whenever elections take place. it's a sad indictment of the western world, but that's just reality.

andyt

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:25 AM »
Well said - play the music - that's where the message is.

But keep your big, embarrassing mouth shut - and please, no more sunglasses.

U2 I love your music but bono, you really can be a d**k.

Offline robert

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 04:51:38 AM »
i honestly dont mind it at all

;D

and bono's not a d**k

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 06:19:24 AM »
for starters, i obviously love u2. secondly, i whole-heartedly applaud all of the causes u2 as a band support. they are probably one of (if not THE) most noble bands in the history of music. as regards humanitiarian and social issues, their music and it's subject matter speaks for itself, and i, for one, couldn't agree more with the band.

am i wrong in stating that we all recognise their position on these issues, and that we don't need reminding of them when we see them live in concert? i don't like oasis, and i'm not particularly fond of the gallagher brothers generally, but there's one thing i had to agree with which came from the mouth of noel, and it was when he was commenting on bono's "preaching", particularly on the last tour. when bono spent about 5 mins talking about Africa etc.. gallagher pointed out that he wanted bono to "f*ck up and just sing ONE".

u2, (bono, really) will get plenty of airtime on TV to promote these (noble) issues. their music and lyrics alone are enough to carry the message. the thing which annoys me slightly is the sight of bono preaching during a concert, when he is generally preaching to the converted, i presume.

the sad fact is, it comes across as patronising and slightly condescending when we hear bono "going on a bit". bono knows that the majority of u2 fans are intelligent. the whole world knows where the band stands regarding particular issues. so, imho, there is no need. i hope when i go to croke park in dublin, he isn't going to refer to the latest outbreak of dissident republican violence here in the north of ireland during, for example, sunday bloody sunday. the Whole country is against the violence, we know u2 are against it. just play the music and leave out the messages. sorry for going on a bit here, but i hate the idea that u2's often cheesy concert sloganeering could become as much a part of their legacy as their magnificent music. 

i really think you should just get over it. let bono do what he wants at his band's concert. personally, i can deal with five minutes of 'bono-bashing' as some like to call it, when i also get 2 1/2 hours of live u2 at the same time.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »
as someone who "got on the bus" 28 years ago, the "preaching" really did hit new heights on the Vertigo tour, and that whole human rights video was ineffective and a waste of time when they could have fit in another song. The only positive to that part for me was that I went to multiple shows, os i knew I'd have a few minutes to take a bathroom break. And that whole bizarro irishman-doing-a-wannabe-african-chant at the beginnnig of Streets, just embarrassing, and if you're gonna play 'One', play 'one', again lost opportunity to fit in another song.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »
IMO I don't think it would be U2 or Bono without him doing this. I'd wonder if there were clones on stage rather than the real thing
if this stopped.

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
A great concert, especially with a spiritually-charged band like U2, is truly an extraordinary experience.  It puts people on a whole different level of consciousness, one where their ears and hearts are more open than ever to messages.  Bono knows this; U2's concerts are his best opportunity to speak into people and to inspire them to live differently, and such an important opportunity can't be passed up.  Personally, I love the fact that my favourite band believes in many of the same causes that I do, and I feel it makes perfect sense for their frontman to preach on these causes at their shows.  Music is so much more than entertainment; it's a spiritual experience and an instrument for social change, and though some might just want to come to have a good time, I know I get the most out of concerts where something more is offered.

Offline George

• Stateless
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9; Now it's time to rhyme!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 10:40:37 AM »
If you compare the preaching that happens on the last tour or two compared to all previous ones, there is a lot more now.  It is a little excessive.  Important social points were successfully made on all previous tours without preaching.  When it's incorportated into a song, like it has been with Bullet the Blue Sky, it's ok - it's part of the performance.  When it's 5 minutes of rambling leading up to One, that's just too much.  Sing another song instead, or just mention it briefly.

I'm still on the bus.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 10:51:21 AM »
If you compare the preaching that happens on the last tour or two compared to all previous ones, there is a lot more now.  It is a little excessive.  Important social points were successfully made on all previous tours without preaching.  When it's incorportated into a song, like it has been with Bullet the Blue Sky, it's ok - it's part of the performance.  When it's 5 minutes of rambling leading up to One, that's just too much.  Sing another song instead, or just mention it briefly.

I'm still on the bus.

Well as portrayed in a song...

Will we ever live in peace
'Cause those that can't do often have to
Those that can't do often have to preach

To the ones staring at the sun
Afraid of what you'll find
If you took a look inside

Revolver7

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 11:04:18 AM »

I agree with what you're saying.

In my opinion, when you truly believe in something, and when you feel strongly about something, you should stand by your cause, and stand by your position, no matter what the consequences.

John Lennon rallied for peace, and yet he spoke out against the US government. They wanted to deport him. My point is, to get stuff done, you don't always have to kiss a** or pretend things are a way that theyaren't

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
IMO I don't think it would be U2 or Bono without him doing this. I'd wonder if there were clones on stage rather than the real thing
if this stopped.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It's been an intrinsic part of the band for over 20 years now.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
if this stopped.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It's been an intrinsic part of the band for over 20 years now.

yeah, but it's a sickening, vulgar, patronising thing to have to listen to during a CONCERT. let bono do it on a tv interview (even that's sickening), but not at a concert, f*cking please! we get the point, you're socially conscious, we're not all thick. and we don't need a rich rock-star to tell us how to spend our money or our time, especially when a band as rich as u2 switch their base to an expedient tax haven. c'mon folks. the hypocracy is there for all to see!