Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17273 times)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »
I have a hard time understanding this whole question.
When I went to Johnny Cash concerts, I knew I'd hear about prisons and trains. With John Denver it was mountains. Had I not been interested or concerned, I would have chosen another singer to follow.

U2 care about the world and the people in it. They sing about it, they talk about it. Bono is their spokesman in most cases. Yes, I know Larry has his reservations, but even he supports the work.

Why, oh WHY would you spend your time and money following a band knowing they do this?  It's the heart of their music!

Birdlover

joegtheog

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »
So one consensus would be its OK for Bono to sing about politics, but not talk about them, in the venue of a concert. I've known about the entire U2 package since 1985 and Live Aid.  If people really have an issue with the preaching they should plug their ears. One way to look at it is an intermission.

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »
Truth is you cant please everyone,i go for the music and atmosphere,the politics and religion i choose to ignore if its something that i dont agree with,i just let it go over my head.
But id still rather it didnt happen,i guess id better not hold my breath for that to happen!

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
Honestly it would not be the same if he didn't.  Causes, politics are at the core of this band.  I think I'd be somewhat disappointed if there wasn't some "sermon on the mount".

Offline One Tree Hill

• Stateless
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2009, 10:04:41 AM »
Its an old joke..but lightens this current debate...where U2 are doing a concert and Bono has everyone in the palm of his hand ,everything is quiet and everyone is listening and Bono says' if 10seconds when I click my fingers,someone dies in Africa..' then an Irishman in the crowd yells'''well stop clicking your feckin fingers then..'
I have been to many U2 concerts over the years and Bono's needing people to really got on board with any message he has to convey..has gotten worse/longer/more intense (I will leave how you feel about it up to you)..
I gues as you travel the world more and more,see more desecration ,tyranny,poverty and unjustness..well its got to affect you so that you are the same young man that just wanted a top selling record...If I was handed a baby and begged to take him/her because the baby would survive with me..I would be very affected.....
What I did feel when I was watching and listening to one of my fav U2 songs 'miracle drug' and Bono was asking everyone to text the number on the screen and to ambush the worlds leaders at the impending G8 summit...I felt cheated out of that song.. and the politcal message ambushed the concert..dont get me wrong I still enjoyed it..but felt a bit cheated...
Richard Ashcroft (lead singer of The Verve..who did 'Bittersweet symphony with Coldplay at the Live 8 concert) said in an interview.. 'Bono and Mr Geldof tell me right now what did that concert actually do??'...that made me think ...the amount of debt relief money had already been decided and allocated before the Live8 concert had been done..these were outlined before the G8 summit... i wonder if it wouldve been a better idea to ask for money like they did in the pioneering days of the 80's with the first Live Aid..and Bono and Geldof and any other celebrity who wanted to lift their waning career(yes a bit cynical there) out of the doldrums and go to Africa with the dosh and hand out mosquito nets..that wouldve been more useful..than the 'creating awareness/putting pressure on our politicians' approach.
Funnily when Beyonce and JayZ were visiting the BonoVox household Bono's daughter made that comment that her dad was 'boring the a*se off their guests talking about Africa'....so you think we got it bad..think about his kids
Anyway I conclude that Bono will preach he will take 1-2 songs to do it..if you dont like get a round in..get a hot dog,go to the loo or stand there listen and perhaps understand the good intent that it is given............Amen ;) :D ;D

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »
Having seen the sound check set list,looks like we're getting a Desmond tutu speech. That will be my shut off time for sure!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Having seen the sound check set list,looks like we're getting a Desmond tutu speech. That will be my shut off time for sure!

yes, and it's not as if we don't know what tutu has done in south africa! to all you bono psycophants, i hope you are all adequately patronised at each gig as you all seem to wish to be. I, for one, will listen, but not be enthralled. i like bono...but, like us, he isn't a perfect human being and should be open to criticism like the rest of us. we don't have to agree with everything he does. esecially the motives behind his behaviour.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »

yes, and it's not as if we don't know what tutu has done in south africa! to all you bono psycophants, i hope you are all adequately patronised at each gig as you all seem to wish to be. I, for one, will listen, but not be enthralled. i like bono...but, like us, he isn't a perfect human being and should be open to criticism like the rest of us. we don't have to agree with everything he does. esecially the motives behind his behaviour.

do enlighten us about his motives ... or, should I say - your perception of his motives
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:11:44 PM by u2matters »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2009, 03:35:41 AM »
i think a lot of his charitable work is simply because he cares a lot about impoverished people. i think a significant influence, though, is his own ego. a desire to stay in the limelight. bono retains an irritable characteristic: a need to remain relevant. a lot of his charitable work allows bono time in the limelight, and offers u2 a road to relevancy, even if their star is on the wain.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:27:01 AM by miami »

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »
i think a lot of his charitable work is simply because he cares a lot about impoverished people. i think a significant influence, though, is his own ego. a desire to stay in the limelight. bono retains an irritable characteristic: a need to remain relevant. a lot of his charitable work allows bono time in the limelight, and offers u2 a road to relevancy, even if their star is on the wain.

that's fair, but don't we all have ego? does it not play an integral part in all of our lives?
How else would he be able to do all that he does? trumpeting in the faces of world leaders that we need to treat the other half of the planet more fairly(?)
I'm not sure that his work is in the name of of his own ego, I think he's taken more slack for it than anything else. And, he takes the punches gracefully. The band too, has taken punches for it.
And, despite the criticism, he marches on - without shame.
I also think many people often fail to understand the importance of ego. Sure, it can be abused - but I don't think Bono is an abuser of his own ego, I really don't. I think he uses it wisely. A pessimist might subscribe to the theory that he is ego driven, but I rather think this is a way of not seeing the forest for the trees, and an excuse to ignore what he's on about. He'd be the first to tell us that it's pretty sad that it has come to this - the fact that a rock star ( celebrity ) is out here having to pipe up about injustices the world leaders have ignored.
Personally, I've gotten beyond the ego stuff - and heard the message. If it were self-serving for Bono to do all this hard work in the name on justice, then so be it. The truth of the message remains.
I must digress, or I won't stop running in circles here ... the bottom line for me is that I'm glad he has and uses his ego - for it has done a hell of a a lot more good than bad.

ps. remember that it was Bono who said "I'm sick of Bono, and I am Bono!" - I think he understands the naysayers, but the message is too important to ignore, me thinks.
I also think history will be very kind to him. And John Lennon and the like, would be / are hugely proud of him.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:16:05 AM by u2matters »

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
I think having millions of fans buying your music and thousands of people singing along to your songs is enough to please his ego. Helping the ones in need is hardly about ego. I think  artist and actors using their fame to bring light to injustices around the world is a good thing. However, it has been undermined by those that only do it for the good publicity. The problem is us. Our indifference. Our apathy. I recently asked about 10 people what they thought about the unrest in Iran and they had NO CLUE anything was going on. Or about the Healthcare reform in the U.S. and they were completely unaware. And that is something that will affect them personally. I can see why Bono continues to do what he does. Someone has to do it.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »
I think having millions of fans buying your music and thousands of people singing along to your songs is enough to please his ego. Helping the ones in need is hardly about ego. I think  artist and actors using their fame to bring light to injustices around the world is a good thing. However, it has been undermined by those that only do it for the good publicity. The problem is us. Our indifference. Our apathy. I recently asked about 10 people what they thought about the unrest in Iran and they had NO CLUE anything was going on. Or about the Healthcare reform in the U.S. and they were completely unaware. And that is something that will affect them personally. I can see why Bono continues to do what he does. Someone has to do it.

exactly.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »

that's fair, but don't we all have ego? does it not play an integral part in all of our lives?
How else would he be able to do all that he does? trumpeting in the faces of world leaders that we need to treat the other half of the planet more fairly(?)
I'm not sure that his work is in the name of of his own ego, I think he's taken more slack for it than anything else. And, he takes the punches gracefully. The band too, has taken punches for it.
And, despite the criticism, he marches on - without shame.
I also think many people often fail to understand the importance of ego. Sure, it can be abused - but I don't think Bono is an abuser of his own ego, I really don't. I think he uses it wisely. A pessimist might subscribe to the theory that he is ego driven, but I rather think this is a way of not seeing the forest for the trees, and an excuse to ignore what he's on about. He'd be the first to tell us that it's pretty sad that it has come to this - the fact that a rock star ( celebrity ) is out here having to pipe up about injustices the world leaders have ignored.
Personally, I've gotten beyond the ego stuff - and heard the message. If it were self-serving for Bono to do all this hard work in the name on justice, then so be it. The truth of the message remains.
I must digress, or I won't stop running in circles here ... the bottom line for me is that I'm glad he has and uses his ego - for it has done a hell of a a lot more good than bad.

ps. remember that it was Bono who said "I'm sick of Bono, and I am Bono!" - I think he understands the naysayers, but the message is too important to ignore, me thinks.
I also think history will be very kind to him. And John Lennon and the like, would be / are hugely proud of him.

Bravo!  I agree with you 100%
-Bono is part of a select few who can fully recognize flaws, annoying characteristics, cons etc, but at least attempts to view ALL the pros and cons of a given situation, topic, goal, course of action etc.  Most people take a single minded approach or view when tackling problems,  Thier view is usually limited to a single portion of what they can see in front of them.  EVERYONE who has spent time owrking on something with Bono has stated how prepared and studied he is on the subject at hand, whether it be music, literature, politics, social issues.  He takes the effort and time to study various angles and aspects and weighs the pros and cons.  He goes into a situation knowing full well Politicians may be using him for a photo op, that he will be seen as uncool, that the dark and dreary minions of elitism and cool will deem him as a hopeless ego driven romantic etc etc etc.  Yet he still goes in knowing all this and more.  He doesnt let that stop him

-I agree full heartedly about ego in general...  It is usually failures, negative people who do not have or want big goals, and pessimists who are sickened by egos in general.  Ego can be good or bad or neither.  It is just ego.  Yet we have been taught to believe that we must tuck it away, that it is evil and tainted.  I assert that without a good amount of ego NOTHING would get accomplished in ANY area or field.  Every big idea, big goal or challenge REQUIRES the ego driven.  It does take ego to say to yourself "Screw it... Im gonna take this on" to a big challenge.

On a similar but side note.  I believe it to be foolish to suggest that Bono (or anyone) is singularly driven by one factor.  To those that dismiss Bono as either being insincere or somehow tainted because he does things out of ego...
First...
e⋅go
  /ˈigoʊ, ˈɛgoʊ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ee-goh, eg-oh] Show IPA
Use ego in a Sentence
–noun, plural e⋅gos.
1.    the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.
2.    Psychoanalysis. the part of the psychic apparatus that experiences and reacts to the outside world and thus mediates between the primitive drives of the id and the demands of the social and physical environment.
3.    egotism; conceit; self-importance: Her ego becomes more unbearable each day.
4.    self-esteem or self-image; feelings: Your criticism wounded his ego.
5.    (often initial capital letter) Philosophy.
a.    the enduring and conscious element that knows experience.
b.    Scholasticism. the complete person comprising both body and soul.
6.    Ethnology. a person who serves as the central reference point in the study of organizational and kinship relationships.

e·go   (ē'gō, ěg'ō)   
n.   pl. e·gos
   1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.
   2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.
   3.   1. An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.
         2. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

-By definition, pretty much every conscious decision we make is driven at least in part by ego.
-Secondly, I cant think of a single thing I have done or that I do which is purely and only done to satisfy a single motive or purpose.  The only things that fall under this category are bodily function needed to sustain life.  Every choice outside of these have multiple motives, agendas, and/or purposes.

So let us hypothetical claim that EGO is in fact evil, horrible and something to be cast away 100% of the time.  Even given this falsehood, for the sake of argument, that still leaves ego mixed in with other motives.  The "evil" ego does not cancel out any other motives, it coexists with them.

The argument is weak, and easily disqualified as it requires that 1) You attach a permanent negative meaning to ego which is not part of its actual definition, and 2) Ignore the fact that pretty much every choice has multiple motives

daveyg

« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2009, 07:00:54 AM »
I tell you what would drive me even more nuts than Bono's preeching at this tour. With the hype and size of the claw, if U2 do a Vertigo "walk on stage and wave" entrance, I will feel so abusive at that point...... a scramble for rotten eggs will ensue.

countrygirl

« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2009, 07:39:03 AM »
I tell you what would drive me even more nuts than Bono's preeching at this tour. With the hype and size of the claw, if U2 do a Vertigo "walk on stage and wave" entrance, I will feel so abusive at that point...... a scramble for rotten eggs will ensue.

say what????? ??? ???