Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17314 times)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
IMO I don't think it would be U2 or Bono without him doing this. I'd wonder if there were clones on stage rather than the real thing
if this stopped.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login It's been an intrinsic part of the band for over 20 years now.

Not to the extent of the last tour it hasn't

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
keep it up, Bono! Just despite those who can't stand it - I hope it's just as loud and clear on this upcoming tour.

Offline Got U2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • High People ! !
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I Agree , but since I think this will ( "preaching" ) only get more prevalent I have decided after lasts years tour not to pay to see them live, probably forever. I will leave 2 good seats for the ticket brokers to sell at enormous profit (more profit than U2 makes per ticket....think about it ! ! ) to a fan who enjoys this type of rock concert.

No Problem, I still like U2, Just got to draw the line ...... on the horizon !

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 02:43:59 PM »
keep it up, Bono! Just despite those who can't stand it - I hope it's just as loud and clear on this upcoming tour.

so, you need your time wasted at a concert by someone preaching about something you already believe in? by someone who's doing it as much for his own ego as his own (noble) beliefs? c'mon, are you stupid enough to want to hear a message that is intrinsic in your head anyway without a rich rock star TELLING you how to spend your time. i, for one, go to a u2 concert to listen to great u2 music and the messages conveyed in the lyrics. i don't need to be preached to. i'm not THAT dumb!

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »
 I have learned that a few cocktails at the show, ease the pain. :)

joegtheog

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »

so, you need your time wasted at a concert by someone preaching about something you already believe in? by someone who's doing it as much for his own ego as his own (noble) beliefs? c'mon, are you stupid enough to want to hear a message that is intrinsic in your head anyway without a rich rock star TELLING you how to spend your time. i, for one, go to a u2 concert to listen to great u2 music and the messages conveyed in the lyrics. i don't need to be preached to. i'm not THAT dumb!

Make sure you walk out of a movie that has any hint of a political message that you agree with, or turn off the radio once panelists start espousing the same views you have.  Not to mention television shows, CDs podcasts, etc etc

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »

Make sure you walk out of a movie that has any hint of a political message that you agree with, or turn off the radio once panelists start espousing the same views you have.  Not to mention television shows, CDs podcasts, etc etc

i'll kindly be a sycophant regarding u2's music, NOT bono's preaching. let's all recognise the woods from the trees people!

joegtheog

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »

i'll kindly be a sycophant regarding u2's music, NOT bono's preaching. let's all recognise the woods from the trees people!

Bono preaches in the music too.

For example, "I believe in Kingdom Come, and all the colors will bleed into one." If you go to a U2 concerts for the messages in the lyrics, sometimes they are one and the same as preaching. Check the gospel version of "I still havent found".  Sounds like church to me. Whether singing or talking, sometimes the message is the same.  During the intro to "Streets" during the last tour, I was just as moved by the parade of flags as I was the song itself.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »

You're essentially saying everybody already knows about the problems in Africa, so Bono should shut up.

And which is it? Are his motives noble or not?

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »

...and if you're truly religious, don't go to church. And if you believe in women's rights, or gay rights, or civil rights in any form, don't go on any march or protest. Because hey, you know this sh** already, right?

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »

"you're not THAT dumb"? - oh, could have fooled me. Your comments deserve not my time or energy. You are naive in ways you will never know - at this rate of ignorance.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
MR T, i don't want to come across as insulting or anything, but do you want to put up with an amateur politician telling you what issues you should be concerned about in the world . are u2 fans not savvy enough to understand what u2 stand for without the preaching between/during songs?

When the "amateur politician" has been able to do more research on the topic, bring forth more studied facts, bring together more disparate groups, and be far more politically savvy, and far more successful at spreading AND MAINTAINING a cause/message, then I am more than happy to listen to this "amateur politician" over official politicians, esp since "real  politicians " are far more concerned with just keeping their jobs or getting the most votes, and mostly pay lipservice.

Also the argument of "are u2 fans not savvy enough to understand what u2 stand for without the preaching between/during songs?" is a false argument.  This premise RELIES on the ASSUMPTION that the reason U2 preaches is because "U2 fans are not savvy enough to understand".  Yet this cannot be proven.  But furthermore, it is quite illogical to assume this is U2's purpose to begin with.  Anyone who has achieved any goal requiring the support of many people knows that persistence is key.  To say you believe in their causes but you want them to minimize the commitment and persistence is contrary to any real support of a cause beyond mere simple distanced and detached agreement.

Causes and major issues REQUIRE this level of exposure, redundancy, persistence, and pervasiveness.  Every successful campaign of any sort knows this. It is not about "hearing something you already know" it is about keeping the movement going, otherwise the movement dies.

Someone else asked:  "c'mon, are you stupid enough to want to hear a message that is intrinsic in your head anyway without a rich rock star TELLING you how to spend your time.:

The real questions are:
1) "Are you 'stupid enough' to believe that ANY message/movement/cause/goal will have success without that level of constant reminders and prodding and pushing?"  (even small goals need constant reminders, status reports, motivational speaking etc)

2) If the message is truly intrinsic in most people's head, and it doesn't need constant reminding, then why would there need to be a cause or message to begin with, or why is there a problem to try and solve, if it is so damn natural and intrinsic as your are attempting to assume?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
so, when you go to a u2 concert, are you going to a socio-political rally or a MUSIC concert. before you all answer you are attending BOTH, are the lyrics and the knowledge of what u2 stand for not enough without being preached to? i am only attending for the music/lyrics, not the patronising preaching!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
this perserverance which is being talked about regarding bonos's preaching should be answered with one thing. bono should practice what he preaches. if he's gonna "perservere" that much, then don't be so hypocritical! Moving their base to holland! after the sh*t we listen to during a concert!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:36:36 PM by miami »

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
if he's gonna "perservere" that much, then don't be so hypocritical! Moving their base to holland! after the sh*t we listen to during a concert!

Moving your taxes to Holland is a human rights abuse now?