Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17313 times)

joegtheog

Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i have i brilliant idea, why don't we accept the fact that Bono isn't prefect, his preaching can get a little annoying, but it goes with the territory. and that our political leaders aren't perfect and never will be. so how about you all shut the f*** up and just enjoy the f***ing music.

thread ends here, I've made it official.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH THE F WORD! Nothing screams "I have spoken, the thread is officially over" better than the use of that.   

Revolver7

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 09:39:03 PM »
i have i brilliant idea, why don't we accept the fact that Bono isn't prefect, his preaching can get a little annoying, but it goes with the territory. and that our political leaders aren't perfect and never will be. so how about you all shut the f*** up and just enjoy the f***ing music.

:D

Offline thehype88

• Stateless
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH THE F WORD! Nothing screams "I have spoken, the thread is officially over" better than the use of that.   

clearly you don't understand  sarcasm lol :P

joegtheog

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »

clearly you don't understand  sarcasm lol :P

I think I used it pretty well in my response.  LOL

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: .
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2009, 11:28:06 PM »
Great post SG. IMO some people are selfish and dont want to be bothered by Bono's so called "preaching." A rich rock star trying to make the world a better place. Helping others that cant help themselves. Man, what an a**.       

Thank you my dear friend! You are the best!

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »
Expecting Bono not to "preach" or at the very least talk about the causes that he supports is a bit like going to church on Sunday, hoping that the minister won't start banging on with all that God and Jesus stuff. If you find it uncomfortable, embarassing or distressing then either don't go to the concerts or just tune out for that 5 minutes and enjoy the other 115 odd minutes of the show.

Offline One Tree Hill

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 05:34:39 AM »
I love the story where Bono says at a concert ..'every time I click my fingers another child dies in Africa..' so a guy yells out from the audience saying 'well stop f**king clicking your fingers'...
I rememebr Richard Ashcroft saying post Live 8..'what did it achieve exactly?'..cos I was at the U2 concert when they were playing Twickenham in 05..and on the screen the numbers you text to show the support clearing Africa's debt at the G8 summit.. and how we should ambush the heads of state at the summit in Edinburgh... Oh lordy..a lot for those people who just wanna come along to see 'Vertigo' or 'One'... not all U2 songs are political,yet the concert was taken over with the political message...
While I truly admire Bono's intentions....Bono's biography/autobiography is very insightful to understanding where this man comes from...but music..and especially rock music is an outlet for people to forget about their problems .........I do know 'Sunday Bl sun' is still a pertinent song as is 'Streets' and 'Bullet' and those songs move you to really being aware of their political issues, as 'pride' does....... I just dont want the next U2 concert to be musics equivalent of comic relief

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:14 AM »
I think many people here are confusing the "expected" short and to the point preach/speech/diatribe/outburst usually evident in bullet/pride/sbs with the excesses of the vertigo tour (human rights video, long rambling speech intros to One, sometimes miracle drug, etc).

Do I expect it during the former, yes

Do I appreciate it during the latter ? no

At >$100/ticket I'd rather have a couple of extra songs.....

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »

....(Though even a little research will show you that The Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria has received $130 million dollars from Product Red alone – coincidentally, almost exactly matching the total contribution of the entire country of Ireland to date – even when you include the years when Ireland enjoyed the tremendous wealth conferred upon it by U2’s tax dollars)

As for the speeches in the concerts - personally, I think it’s great. I’m not rich by a lot of measures, but do I have the luxury of having a hot shower every day, of buying all the food I need, of choosing to go back to school and do a second degree, of sitting in the comfort of my own home and connecting to the world on my laptop, of listening to music I love on my mp3 player, and deciding to fly to New York to go and see U2. If, during that concert, Bono wants to take five minutes and ask us all to remember that there are some people in the world who can’t even have clean water sometimes, let along hot water or mp3 players, I will not find it “vulgar” or “sickening”. And “hypocritical”? It’s no more hypocritical for him to talk about poverty than it is for any of us to say we find it offensive to hear about – when many aspects of the very lifestyle we enjoy only exist because of the inbalances there are in the world.

VERY well said, bloom!   *big applause*    :)

and

The real questions are:
2) If the message is truly intrinsic in most people's head, and it doesn't need constant reminding, then why would there need to be a cause or message to begin with, or why is there a problem to try and solve, if it is so damn natural and intrinsic as your are attempting to assume?

I couldn't agree more, mbeano. 

If there wasn't ongoing the cause for concern, a continued dedicated call to activism, and a call to NOT forget the band's causes & issues  even in these economic circumstances,  the time is now! 

DATA, Amnesty Int'l, Free Burma, Music Rising, Greenpeace, Cherynobyl's Children's Project are listed as the band's causes, and both (RED) and the ONE campaign are associated.  They're not just Bono's causes and charities, they're endorsed by the band.  None of those causes have been resolved and far from it. 

U2 have always been political since day 1 and that's not going to change.  At least I hope not!  Its part of the attraction for me that their music has always been alot deeper than most bands out there, and their passion shows in their performances.  Sure I want to be entertained, and even 'escape' for a few hours but to me, they've always been successful at melding their music and "entertainment" with soul and a conscience. 

Is the politics and 'preaching'  repetitive for long-time fans?  Yes for many if not most but while there's been progress as bloom mentioned, we've a long way to go as humans and fans.  While nobody wants to hear 10 mins of preaching at a concert (and that was overboard), I don't have a problem with Bono talking about issues he and the band are passionate about at concerts and in lead up to ONE or other political songs.  And I don't have issue with the video on UN human rights either, as its obvious to me that humanitarian crises and atrocities continue to happen in this world of ours, and we've a long way to go! 

As for the 'hypocrisy of rich rock stars' argument, bloom said it very well.    I'd only add that IMO, U2's wealth is relative to us, as our wealth is relative to those with little or none.    First world wealth affords us and U2 respective options and choices that many do not have but it always amazes me that it also garners alot of complaining or grievance, when there's bigger issues to complain about!   ::)

So I'm glad that that the band (and many organizations & individuals) are out there trying to make a difference and trying to spread the word that more needs to be done in our communities and globally.   I'm glad they continue to use their celebrity to make their voices heard and rally support at concerts and elsewhere, for what they believe in, and they have made a difference so far in garnering lots of fan and media attention and support, and funding.  I'd say if the biggest things fans are upset or disgusted about is putting up with 'preaching', what's included in their albums or concerts, or how many concerts you're going to, then you've little to complain about.  Or you've got the wrong band.   

jimyjazz

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
How dare you criticize Bono.  The gall to express a desire that the band behave in a certain way...

joegtheog

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »
I love how any other band can do whatever they want on stage or in hotel rooms and their "f-you" attitude is so cool and rock and roll.  Bono does what HE wants on stage and people get their collective panties in a bunch and want to control his behavior. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

andyt

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 03:19:37 AM »
I love how any other band can do whatever they want on stage or in hotel rooms and their "f-you" attitude is so cool and rock and roll.  Bono does what HE wants on stage and people get their collective panties in a bunch and want to control his behavior. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Yes. But i think the reason people don't like mr bono and his big mouth is that he's so pious.

The message is in the music and I really don't need to his lecturing or self-importance when I'm trying to have a good time.

Same old story with U2 - some great music, some great ideas, but bono, please SHUT UP!

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 07:09:40 AM »

Yes. But i think the reason people don't like mr bono and his big mouth is that he's so pious.

The message is in the music and I really don't need to his lecturing or self-importance when I'm trying to have a good time.

Same old story with U2 - some great music, some great ideas, but bono, please SHUT UP!

If you really don't like it, then don't listen - or don't attend the shows. otherwise - SHUT UP yourself!

andyt

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »

If you really don't like it, then don't listen - or don't attend the shows. otherwise - SHUT UP yourself!

Oh dear, I have touched a nerve. You might consider being less rude?

I like seeing U2 shows - I like U2 - I've liked U2 for 20 years. I've always though bono was pompous and annoying when he wasn't singing.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2009, 07:39:56 AM »

Oh dear, I have touched a nerve. You might consider being less rude?

I like seeing U2 shows - I like U2 - I've liked U2 for 20 years. I've always though bono was pompous and annoying when he wasn't singing.

If you're going to get on your high horse and tell Bono to SHUT UP  ( when you're the one who keeps listening to him )- then I'm going to take the liberty to tell you to shut up. It's that simple.
Speaking of pompous and annoying ...