Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17226 times)

andyt

Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2009, 07:41:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love how any other band can do whatever they want on stage or in hotel rooms and their "f-you" attitude is so cool and rock and roll.  Bono does what HE wants on stage and people get their collective panties in a bunch and want to control his behavior. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Yes. But i think the reason people don't like mr bono and his big mouth is that he's so pious.

The message is in the music and I really don't need to his lecturing or self-importance when I'm trying to have a good time.

Same old story with U2 - some great music, some great ideas, but bono, please SHUT UP!

If you really don't like it, then don't listen - or don't attend the shows. otherwise - SHUT UP yourself!

Oh dear, I have touched a nerve. You might consider being less rude?

I like seeing U2 shows - I like U2 - I've liked U2 for 20 years. I've always though bono was pompous and annoying when he wasn't singing.

If you're going to get on your high horse and tell Bono to SHUT UP  ( when you're the one who keeps listening to him )- then I'm going to take the liberty to tell you to shut up. It's that simple.
Speaking of pompous and annoying ...

You come across as being quite young - are you?

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2009, 07:44:27 AM »
I love how any other band can do whatever they want on stage or in hotel rooms and their "f-you" attitude is so cool and rock and roll.  Bono does what HE wants on stage and people get their collective panties in a bunch and want to control his behavior. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Yes. But i think the reason people don't like mr bono and his big mouth is that he's so pious.

The message is in the music and I really don't need to his lecturing or self-importance when I'm trying to have a good time.

Same old story with U2 - some great music, some great ideas, but bono, please SHUT UP!

If you really don't like it, then don't listen - or don't attend the shows. otherwise - SHUT UP yourself!

I like seeing U2 shows - I like U2 - I've liked U2 for 20 years. I've always though bono was pompous and annoying when he wasn't singing.

If you're going to get on your high horse and tell Bono to SHUT UP  ( when you're the one who keeps listening to him )- then I'm going to take the liberty to tell you to shut up. It's that simple.

you come across as being quite naive. Are you?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:47:45 AM by u2matters »

andyt

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »

you come across as being quite naive. Are you?

This is interesting - you seem to have 2 modes:

1) Being irate with, and rude to, people.

and

2) Answering a question with a question. Presumably this is in place of having anything constructive/intelligent to say (see point 1 also).

Either way, you're a bit boring. I'm sure you'll come back with a tedious 'clever' response as per your previous ones.

Goodbye.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »
I think we covered this topic from many different angles:
-If you have a complaint, put your money where your mouth is
-If you have a complaint about the speeches, go get a beer during this part, you know full well when these speeches will take place (what part of the setlist)
-Ignoring him is easy
-You already know full well what you are getting into when going to a U2 show
-You already know full well what Bono (and the band for that matter) is like
-Many people like politics, social issues etc
-Many many see entertainment in its many forms as far more than escapism, and again, if you want escapism, it is easy to pick bands/concerts that are better at offering this to you.

There is another area I would like to hit on that I think is really important to this topic.  We have discussed that politics, "preaching", and all that are inherent to who Bono is, and how this should be something expected, unless you have lived under a rock in regards to U2 shows.

But I would go further in saying that the politics, "preachiness", activism, social causes, etc are all a huge inherent aspect of who the band are as artists and performers. What we have discussed previously was more in relation to Bono's personality.  Here I am going further and saying this is who the band is as live performers, it would not be the same animal if you attempted to take this aspect out.

Let me explain a little.  I think we would all agree that this band in particular, are extremely motivated, influenced, impassioned, informed, and tuned into the world around them, ideas, goals, and causes that are bigger than themselves.  This is part of why they prefer large concert experiences rather than small clubs.  They are energized and inspired by these things that are bigger than them.

As an artist, or critical thinker of any sort, it is VITAL and extremely important that ideas, thoughts, speech and views are allowed to flow as freely as possibly.  This keeps the mind flowing, the energy flowing, and thoughts alive.  Restrictions on any of these things stunt growth, soften or weaken the energy.

This is even more so important in a live setting.  We have all pretty much agreed that Bono is inherently a political animal (whether we see this as good or bad).  It is his nature, part of himself that would be hard to shut down or contain.  As such, shutting down this integral part of where he gets his inspiration, his energy, his creativity, passion etc, is directly linked to ideas, and causes bigger than himself.  This is even how he sees, how they all see the band, something bigger than themselves to believe in.  So politics and speachmaking and all that are directly linked with who the band are as people, as performers, and artists.  This is really where they get inspired and energized.  These are the types of things that get the blood going in U2.  It is also the crowd of course, but the idea of change, of perhaps standing behind something that causes a positive impact in this world is lights a fire underneath them.

To restrict speeches, is first and foremost extremely difficult as we have established this is pretty much inherent to his personality.  But furthermore it would also work to stunt what feeds them as artists and performers.  The band already have enough restrictions in terms of logistical things in thier show, like timing of background music, lights, effects visuals and all that, as well as timing of getting out by X time etc etc.  It would be even more highly detrimental to these performers to do anything that would restrict freedom of thought or speech.  To an artist or critical thinker this is EVERYTHING, so anything that hampers this is not a good idea.

Do the speeches annoy me at times.  YES!  Do they occasional run too long?  YES!  Could they be executed in better ways at times?  YES

But I would rather (and quite easily and simply) sit through a speech, because I know that these ideas get the entire band energized, and thus provide for a far more passionate show.   There is NO doubt in my mind that any restriction or limitation on speech or thought would suck much of the energy out of a U2 live show.  It is well known that they are artists first, musicians afterward.  It is not as if this is Radiohead, where the major source of passion is probably primarily from just playing their instruments together.  U2 have always and will always be a band whose source of energy come from expressing what is on thier minds whether that be political, social or whatever.  Just witness how certain songs take on new life when they reimagine the message.  For U2, and many other artists, this is all intertwined and very much connected.  It is not just expression though instruments for U2, and it never has been.

If you need evidence of this... flip through bootlegs and compare the live performances of songs from concerts which tended to have longer or more intense speeches.  The songs from those concerts usually have a more impassioned performance.  Hell just check out Rattle n Hum or Under A Blood Red Sky.  I would gladly take a more impassioned set of songs, over fitting in 1 or 2 more songs.  Quality of Quantity.

You may flip find the performances from preachier shows to be no less passionate, that is your call.  But my experience from either being at the shows, or listening to bootlegs, leaves no doubt that the band play far better usually during concerts where Bono tends to be preachier.

To take away Bono's speeches is to censor freedom of expression, it is limiting

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »

and

2) Answering a question with a question. Presumably this is in place of having anything constructive/intelligent to say (see point 1 also).

Either way, you're a bit boring. I'm sure you'll come back with a tedious 'clever' response as per your previous ones.

Goodbye.

Dude. Fair enough you're not a fan of the preaching...but the fact is that without Bono's efforts and the publicity he brings to his campaigns, a whole lot of people probably wouldn't be alive. So if your only argument against him is that you think he's annoying, or pompous, or embarrasing, or that he makes the band a target for derision and that makes you uncomfortable, well, don't be surprised if other people respond to YOUR arguments with a similar level of depth. Just sayin.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »
Well said mbeano!

andyt

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »

and

Goodbye.

Dude. Fair enough you're not a fan of the preaching...but the fact is that without Bono's efforts and the publicity he brings to his campaigns, a whole lot of people probably wouldn't be alive. So if your only argument against him is that you think he's annoying, or pompous, or embarrasing, or that he makes the band a target for derision and that makes you uncomfortable, well, don't be surprised if other people respond to YOUR arguments with a similar level of depth. Just sayin.

To be fair to me, I don't have enough time in my life to write an essay about why bono is a bit of a tool.

When I do, I would imagine people won't shout at me. Or maybe you will.

Offline Got U2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • High People ! !
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
I think we covered this topic from many different angles:
-If you have a complaint, put your money where your mouth is
-If you have a complaint about the speeches, go get a beer during this part, you know full well when these speeches will take place (what part of the setlist)
-Ignoring him is easy
-You already know full well what you are getting into when going to a U2 show
-You already know full well what Bono (and the band for that matter) is like
-Many people like politics, social issues etc
-Many many see entertainment in its many forms as far more than escapism, and again, if you want escapism, it is easy to pick bands/concerts that are better at offering this to you.

I agree..... :)

Since this trend (Preachyness) is getting more pronounced I won't be paying the brokers (scalpers)
anything this go around...

I don't need Bono telling me that this country (USA) really belongs to the Indians.!
I don't need to see the World Human Rights scrolled on the video
I don't need to Pay TOP dollar for a history lesson

But I won't ask or expect U2 (Bono) to change what they do or how they do it.

I will listen to the Music . . . . . .

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »
On a narrow level it should be just about the music...but I think what has always made U2 special and one of a kind to me, is that they are always about more than the music. Thats just who they are.

So I don't expect them to end soon.

But in saying that, I think Bono can be a bit cooler in the way he goes about them. I'd prefer a bit more aggression.

Anyone remember him calling the President of France a wa**er at the MTV Europe Awards.

More of that please.

andyt

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
On a narrow level it should be just about the music...but I think what has always made U2 special and one of a kind to me, is that they are always about more than the music. Thats just who they are.

So I don't expect them to end soon.

But in saying that, I think Bono can be a bit cooler in the way he goes about them. I'd prefer a bit more aggression.

Anyone remember him calling the President of France a wa**er at the MTV Europe Awards.

More of that please.

'Anyone remember him calling the President of France a wa**er at the MTV Europe Awards.'

YES! That was the U2 I loved! A bit of guts, some balls - not having his picture taken with the pope, bush, blair, and anyone else who would raise his profile!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2009, 03:44:45 PM »
I  was just thinking that in the end, no matter how any of us feel, it is U2's concert and Bono can choose to say whatever he wants.  If we don't want to listen to it , then we just don't go.  Simple really.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »
Ditto SG. Surprised this thread is still goin. (and hi  back SG)

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2009, 06:23:56 AM »
Just play the music good and loud,make us all go crazy and sing along with every lyric,keep the preaching to a minimum!!!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »
Just play the music good and loud,make us all go crazy and sing along with every lyric,keep the preaching to a minimum!!!

yeah, i agree donvalley. the preaching can be kept to a mininum without looking pompous. someone mentioned earlier that there is a huge difference between bono adding quick messages during songs eg: during bullet over the years, and the long rambling speeches eg: before ONE on the last tour.

i can cope, and even applaud, a short political reference during a song (during bullet, eg), but i find it a bit much when we are subjected to a rambling socio-political speech. save it for interviews.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
U2 are masters at wasting people's time starting with the Popmart Tour. The karaoke took up one song that could have been more useful (as seen eventually in Edge's Sunday Bloody Sunday).  The rants about neon lights or corporate monsters before I Still Haven't Found wasted around a minute of our time.  The Lemon Perfecto mix and the exit from the giant lemon also took a bit out of our time.

In the Elevation Tour, we had to deal with the pointless band introductions (as if 20 years on, we still didn't know who the members of U2 are!) and the intro to Kite.

Vertigo Tour: We also had to deal with Bono's over a minute speech before Miracle Drug about Edge being from outer space, his close to five minute speech before One, and not the mention those human rights bits.

If U2 could just stick to playing music, we would be much happier.

Cheers,

J