Author Topic: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!  (Read 17256 times)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
Re: bono, please no more preaching on this tour!
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2009, 08:43:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 are masters at wasting people's time starting with the Popmart Tour. The karaoke took up one song that could have been more useful (as seen eventually in Edge's Sunday Bloody Sunday).  The rants about neon lights or corporate monsters before I Still Haven't Found wasted around a minute of our time.  The Lemon Perfecto mix and the exit from the giant lemon also took a bit out of our time.

In the Elevation Tour, we had to deal with the pointless band introductions (as if 20 years on, we still didn't know who the members of U2 are!) and the intro to Kite.

Vertigo Tour: We also had to deal with Bono's over a minute speech before Miracle Drug about Edge being from outer space, his close to five minute speech before One, and not the mention those human rights bits.

If U2 could just stick to playing music, we would be much happier.

Cheers,

J

jick, you do have the option of not going to a concert rather than having your time wasted. If after 20 years you know who all the band members are than after 20 year, you should know what to expect from a U2 concert. I'm just saying. . .

Offline evilways811

• Stateless
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »
This is why I sometimes miss Zoo TV/Popmart era U2. They were sarcastic, fun and full of attitude, the kind of things that I look for in a rock show where I go to lose myself, have fun, and forget about the troubles of the world.

andyt

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »
U2 are masters at wasting people's time starting with the Popmart Tour. The karaoke took up one song that could have been more useful (as seen eventually in Edge's Sunday Bloody Sunday).  The rants about neon lights or corporate monsters before I Still Haven't Found wasted around a minute of our time.  The Lemon Perfecto mix and the exit from the giant lemon also took a bit out of our time.

In the Elevation Tour, we had to deal with the pointless band introductions (as if 20 years on, we still didn't know who the members of U2 are!) and the intro to Kite.

Vertigo Tour: We also had to deal with Bono's over a minute speech before Miracle Drug about Edge being from outer space, his close to five minute speech before One, and not the mention those human rights bits.

If U2 could just stick to playing music, we would be much happier.

Cheers,

J

jick, you do have the option of not going to a concert rather than having your time wasted. If after 20 years you know who all the band members are than after 20 year, you should know what to expect from a U2 concert. I'm just saying. . .

Why does everyone react to Jick!? Although I'm with him on this:

'If U2 could just stick to playing music, we would be much happier.'

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
You would be happier? LOL Dont go to the show then. U know whats coming. As I said in an earlier post, its 5-10 min out of a 2 hour show?  God forbid a rock star tries to help others who cant help themselves. And uses a show to make others aware. After 9/11, U2 brought NYPD and NYFD out on stage. It was only at a few shows, but what a waste of time. :)

Offline u2buckeye

• Babyface
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »
I know what I am getting when I go to a U2 show, rich and famous people who actually care about the world they live in and want to express themselves about it! Rich and famous people get harped on if they don't comment on what is going on the world because it seems like they are "too good" to care about things that affect us normal folk....but then when rich and famous people do speak their minds they get flack for it! They are damned if they do and damned if they don't! It sounds like to me that there are fans who don't like U2's political views so when they express them they don't like it.  I betcha if U2 had the same views as these people they would not mind it!
Bono is passionate about Africa, a continent going up in flames as he likes to say, so since I have LOVED u2 since 1987 I know that there will be Amnesty mentioned, some song and/or video about an event going on the world, Bono will say some things about other current events....I like my rock stars SMART and IN TUNE with what is going on!   :D

Offline bluetooth

• Babyface
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
I really think that Bono's humanitarian work is a real disaster.  The good thing is that the band are donating part of VIP tickets to a humanitarian cause, thus Bono's humanitarian work is not a real disaster after all.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: .
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2009, 06:06:08 PM »
You would be happier? LOL Dont go to the show then. U know whats coming. As I said in an earlier post, its 5-10 min out of a 2 hour show?  God forbid a rock star tries to help others who cant help themselves. And uses a show to make others aware. After 9/11, U2 brought NYPD and NYFD out on stage. It was only at a few shows, but what a waste of time. :)

Right on anthony!!

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »
I really think that Bono's humanitarian work is a real disaster.  The good thing is that the band are donating part of VIP tickets to a humanitarian cause, thus Bono's humanitarian work is not a real disaster after all.

a disaster?  Pfft!  ::) Obviously you haven't read much!  The Global fund, (RED) and dropping the Debt has made HUGE gains! 
As for the VIP tix, that's an additional 9mil Euros! 

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

a disaster?  Pfft!  ::) Obviously you haven't read much!  The Global fund, (RED) and dropping the Debt has made HUGE gains! 
As for the VIP tix, that's an additional 9mil Euros! 

Yes p8ru2!!!!!  As a member of ONE, I can tell you that is making a difference. Ali's Edun line has people working in Africa making the beautiful ONE tees as well as the Edun graphic ones.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »
Interesting read, from someone just a (sarcasm on) wee bit (sarcasm off) more qualified than Bono

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
We pay U2 for their music, we don't pay them for their humanitarian work.  Actually, it would be irresponsible to let us pay for their humanitarian work because it would be unjust enrichment on their part to profit on the plight of the needy.

In a concert, we pay to get a U2 performance with great music - not long rants and speeches.  If Bono was paid a dime for every speech he makes for the plight of the needy, how would surely make a lot of money by now - at the expense of the needy.

The fans want to come out of the show with a great musical experience.  No everyone goes to a concert just to "get enlightened" about the plight of Africans and then come out feeling like they should write their politicians a letter.  It is simply the wrong avenue to preach.

We are losing 1 to 3 songs because of Bono's preaching.

Cheers,

J

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »
If I reply to that Jick, I would get banned. If pulling out my cell and texting to One during a concert helps save a life? Or if one person walks out of a show and writes a politican. Then its all good, IMO. I can do without the 1 to 3 songs. 

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
Interesting read, from someone just a (sarcasm on) wee bit (sarcasm off) more qualified than Bono

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

I'm so glad we have writers who are so well qualified.....

Did you READ the book ?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »

I'm so glad we have writers who are so well qualified.....

Did you READ the book ?

Another African with whom white liberals have a problem

There's more than one opinion out there, I'm not saying either one is correct because frankly I don't know, but aid hasn't yet worked, so maybe, just maybe it's time we shoould listen to the Africans rather than the white journalist, rockstars, etc.

just a thought....