Author Topic: Who's camping out in Chicago?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline tbeza

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Who's camping out in Chicago?
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
Seeing that there are as many as 10000 GA ticket holders, how important will it be to camp out in line the night before?

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: Who's camping out in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »
I have no idea what's allowed, but I'll be watching your thread!

Birdlover

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:39:31 PM »
I'm going to make sure it's allowed, then yes, I'll be camping out the night before, probably since midnight or so. I have no idea how good of a spot that will get me, but I've already convinced the girlfriend to come with me.

This is all assuming that I can get a pair of GA on Monday through the public sale, since I couldn't with my Boots presale  >:(

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
I will be there in line with my best U2 friend and her husband.  We will probably get in line late Friday night.  It should be a joyous couple of days.  I will see you there.

Offline tbeza

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »
The problem with this Chicago show is that it is the 1st North American date, so we won't have anything to go on in determining how the flow into the stadium is going to work.

Back on the JT tour I remember seeing them in Tampa.  I had GA tickets along with at least 10000 other folks and it was a mad house trying to get positioned for the gates to open.  They wouldn't let us camp out on the stadium grounds so we had to come up with other creative means to get in line.  The problem there was that they opened several gates simultaneously.  I am hoping that they run the GA people through only one or two lines to control the flow onto the field.

Here's to hoping.

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:08:59 AM »
I'm gonna have my 38 year old @ss there. It's gonna be a blast.

I-O-W-A in da house!

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »
For Vertigo, I got there the nite before. Around 8 or 9. There was never a problem at the United Center. But Ive never camped out at Soldier Field. Im trying to contact the park district, to see what their policy is.

Offline mlines6

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »
I'll be following this post as well....as it will be only my 2nd U2 GA stadium experience. My first was at Aloha Stadium and they were good about posting info a few days in advance of where the GA line can be formed and when the grounds will be open. I sure hope they do the same for Soldier Field ...and that it will be orderly, and not open multiple ga gates...and no stampedes. ;) As that was another nice thing about Aloha Stadium...anyone caught running would be stopped and forced to stand and wait so that helped people like me who cant run fast and who get really winded (asthma).

But I hope to know where to line up...and where the 'unofficial' line might start if they don't let people on the property right away. I will be coming on a vacation and want to do some sightseeing, but want to have a good spot as well. So I guess I should come late Friday night.?.

This will be my first time to see a U2 show away from the west coast and I'm very excited!!

Offline RedRocks83

• Stateless
  • I'm running down the road like loose electricity
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »
If they're doing a GA lottery, there's no need to camp out...is there?

Offline achtung jeff

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they're doing a GA lottery, there's no need to camp out...is there?

Heck, for me camping out is part of the experience. It's fun to hang out all day with other fans. Someone inevitably brings a guitar and butchers Edge's riffs, but that's part of the fun. I liken it to a big tailgate (sans kegs & motorhomes). Plus it's always fun to be able to say that you camped out all night just to see U2. BTW: camping out last time got me some face time on the U2 Vertigo concert DVD.  8)

I've done this for multiple nights to Elevation & Vertigo at United Center. Never a problem. I didn't camp out for Popmart so I can't say what that was like.

See you there!

Offline Kim&LarryMullen

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Bang those drums!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »
yes....I'll be camping out too (if we are allowed??))

PARTY!

Offline tbeza

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
I think that camping out has nothing to do with the lottery system.  In fact, the point is that on the last 2 tours, since they were indoor and only 3000 were admitted onto the floor in total, you were going to be close enough to make out the band's faces.  On this new tour, since they are outside and 10000 are going to be on the field, you could get caught way back if you don't camp out or hit the lottery.  It'll be interesting to get the reports from teh European leg, but honestly, those Euro's are just different than us! (God bless 'em).