Poll

Do you believe in God?

Yes
58 (65.2%)
No
31 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 04, 2009, 03:05:22 PM

Author Topic: U2.... God... Believe...  (Read 30748 times)

Offline kubokuk

• Babyface
U2.... God... Believe...
« on: March 28, 2009, 03:05:22 PM »
i know, it may sound controversial or even stupid, but here's my explanation:

- for me, U2 music was always, in some way, about God (of course not every song).
- Not only their music/lyrics, but what they do and the way they do it.
- It's not a secret, that 3 U2 members are declared believers.

So mixing things that I mentioned and adding the fact, that I'm a believer too, U2 can always reach me and their music very often has an effect on my soul. I don't know if I am speaking clearly..

I just wanted to know, if some of you has a feeling like that also. Does believing (or not) in God has an any effect on the way you think about U2.

shockdocta22

Re: U2.... God... Believe...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i know, it may sound controversial or even stupid, but here's my explanation:

- for me, U2 music was always, in some way, about God (of course not every song).
- Not only their music/lyrics, but what they do and the way they do it.
- It's not a secret, that 3 U2 members are declared believers.

So mixing things that I mentioned and adding the fact, that I'm a believer too, U2 can always reach me and their music very often has an effect on my soul. I don't know if I am speaking clearly..

I just wanted to know, if some of you has a feeling like that also. Does believing (or not) in God has an any effect on the way you think about U2.

I believe in God for so many reasons.  If i had to prove anything it would be that the Big Bang theory doesnt make sense because all of the that beginning matter had to come from somewhere and there is not a very strong explanation of Life so I believe in God

Im Catholic by the way

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
I believe in God, but U2 has nothing to do with my faith.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
 A quote about when U2 play Where The Streets Have No Name live "Bono says that when they play that song, its like God walks through the room. Theres something spiritually uplifting about it. Its like a hymn"- Fran Healy of Travis. Id agree with that.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »

I am a believer, yet against any form of organized religion. What attracts me to U2 ( amongst other reasons ) is their doubt, as much as their faith.

Offline Zimmy

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
I'm not really a believer in a god (I describe myself as agnostic when it comes to a god concept), and U2's religious songs don't bother me. In fact, I usually mistake their religious songs as being love songs. Like, their new album. When I first heard it I thought, "Wow, what a good collection of romantic songs." then I come on this forum and see it's mostly spiritual. However, I can relate to their songs about having faith (just general faithness). My spirituality is more of an agnostic Buddhist, and that still requires some faith or belief in the teachings of the religion.

Offline macphisto

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In te domine.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »
FYI, this poll has been done before.
When I first came to this forum, I asked a similar question albeit with more options...

Kubokok, I think perhaps the answers to U2 and the spirituality of fans are in that post.

As it is, this is just pretty much a belief/disbelief poll.
Not to shoot up my own rockets, but I believe this is somewhat surface and not visceral.
U2 aren't straightforward spiritualists by any stretch of the imagination.
And neither, I would assume, is anyone who's had or entertained moments of doubt.

I'm waiting here boss,
macphisto

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
As a Christian I find U2's music incredibly uplifting; in fact, albums October and NLOTH could almost be considered worship albums. I also like the fact that Bono is honest about his faith and deals with doubts and struggles, something that all Christians face from time to time. I love the fact that there's a U2 song for any mood or spiritual condition and they've really helped me in my faith and given me a new perspective that I might not have had otherwise.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
see avatar

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »
As a Christian I find U2's music incredibly uplifting; in fact, albums October and NLOTH could almost be considered worship albums. I also like the fact that Bono is honest about his faith and deals with doubts and struggles, something that all Christians face from time to time. I love the fact that there's a U2 song for any mood or spiritual condition and they've really helped me in my faith and given me a new perspective that I might not have had otherwise.

That was so beautifully written Vertigo40. I agree especially about October and No Line which happen to be favorites of mine!!!

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

That was so beautifully written Vertigo40. I agree especially about October and No Line which happen to be favorites of mine!!!

Did I mention I agree with my 2 favorite people on the forum? I didn't? Ok. I agree with these 2...who also happen to be my favorite 2 people on the forum.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

Did I mention I agree with my 2 favorite people on the forum? I didn't? Ok. I agree with these 2...who also happen to be my favorite 2 people on the forum.

Thank you aarond! That was so nice of you to say that. You are a wonderful new member of our little OLC club. Stop by anytime!

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »
whenever i doubt...music reconnects me with God. it is a force that cannot be physically seen but felt and heard. the power of music helps me understand there is something much bigger than us. music aligns me spiritually.

besides...it's boring and depressing to think otherwise.

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 06:55:27 AM »
I have a strong belief in god, and can relate alot to many of u2 songs,

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 09:52:07 AM »
see avatar