Poll

Do you believe in God?

Yes
58 (65.2%)
No
31 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 04, 2009, 03:05:22 PM

Author Topic: U2.... God... Believe...  (Read 30747 times)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
Re: U2.... God... Believe...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 10:27:06 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I believe in God for so many reasons.  If i had to prove anything it would be that the Big Bang theory doesnt make sense because all of the that beginning matter had to come from somewhere and there is not a very strong explanation of Life so I believe in God

Im Catholic by the way

Argument from incredulity. And personally I find that a lot of religion is - it's often the presumption that the universe can't possibly be a meaningless, unjust series of interactions, so there must be some arbiters of justice (a god, an afterlife etc.) that balances all the instances of rich, comfortable thieves and poor, suffering innocents.

If you are a theist, however, it's probably more justifiable if you can honestly reason the 'right' answer to these questions: does the universe have to have meaning and justice? And do the concepts of meaning and justice have any real weight outside of human existence, or are they merely human concepts?

...and I'll stop there before I end up writing a thesis.

Offline imafan

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
I don't believe in God - but I wonder if U2 would have self-destructed like many 80's bands if they (or at least 3 out of 4 them, anyway) didn't have a strong belief.  At any rate, I still appreciate a religiously-inspired song (other than Yahweh - too much!).  Would Bono be such a giving and nice person (at least that's how he seems, anyway) without his belief.  Hm...

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »
I don't believe in God - but I wonder if U2 would have self-destructed like many 80's bands if they (or at least 3 out of 4 them, anyway) didn't have a strong belief.  At any rate, I still appreciate a religiously-inspired song (other than Yahweh - too much!).  Would Bono be such a giving and nice person (at least that's how he seems, anyway) without his belief.  Hm...

There are millions of giving and nice people out there, it's not a trait that's exclusive to people with religious beliefs you know.....

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
I believe in God but I think he-she-it is far more complex than what we can imagine. it is probably an energy. In the Bible when it says that we are made in his image...I think that is misinterpreted. I think it could refer to the energy or spirit 'soul' within us...not the physical form.

i also think we are far more complex than we realize. we don't use most of our brain and yet the capacity is there. we are not finished evolving. who knows when or what will trigger that growth to using more of our brain capacity. but it will happen because it is part of our design. the extra capacity would not be there otherwise.

i also think we were more 'animal' at one time. we have senses that are now under-utilized, but you can see animals use these senses to a greater capacity. It would be interesting to see if we either lose those senses or become more re-connected to them. also if mankind survives and lives say 1,000 years from now i wonder if we will have new abilities. will we be able to talk/communicate w/one another through our brains in a more organic evolution...or will we be a hybrid of human-computer where we hook into a collective conscious and perhaps live that way within hi-rise bee-hive like communities.

andyt

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »
I find most religions offensive - I was interested recently to hear the popes feelings about condoms. The pope apparently thinks they 'help the spread of HIV'.

And this from a man who pardoned one of his flock for denying the holocaust recently. And lets' not forget the catholic churches stance on homosexuality and women.

Doesn't mr bono wear a rosary given to him by the pope? Are we to believe that mr bono shares the popes thoughts and feelings about the spread of HIV?

Religion makes me angry - sorry.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:53:09 PM by andyt »

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
I find most religions offensive - I was interested recently to hear the popes feelings about condoms. The pope apparently thinks they 'help the spread of HIV'.

And this from a man who pardoned one of his flock for denying the holocaust recently. And lets' not forget the catholic churches stance on homosexuality and women.

Doesn't mr bono wear a rosary given to him by the pope? Are we to believe that mr bono shares the popes thoughts and feelings about the spread of HIV?

And let's not forget their protection of child molesters.

And for every religion out there, there is some kind of atrocity, abuse of minorities, etc. Protestantism, mormonism, islam, all of 'em

joegtheog

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »

Bono's rosary is not from this pope.  And I am almost 100% positive he doesnt share that view about HIV. But either way, I share your feelings about religion.  I think it gets in the way of finding God. 

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »
Are we to believe that mr bono shares the popes thoughts and feelings about the spread of HIV?

seriously?

andyt

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »
Are we to believe that mr bono shares the popes thoughts and feelings about the spread of HIV?

seriously?

I'm making a general point about the catholic church.

Any other organised group that held these beliefs would be called a hate group. But because it's religion, people accept it.

joegtheog

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »

seriously?

Any other organised group that held these beliefs would be called a hate group. But because it's religion, people accept it.

I don't think its the traits of a hate group as much as an ignorant group. I hear where you are coming from, though.  But Bono getting a gift of a rosary doesn't really have anything to do with this.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 02:05:45 PM »
I don't think its the traits of a hate group as much as an ignorant group. I hear where you are coming from, though.  But Bono getting a gift of a rosary doesn't really have anything to do with this.

Of course it does. Bono met the Pope, ergo Bono agrees with everything the Catholic Church (an accepted hate group) declares.

And the final result is Bono supports a hate group.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

seriously?

Maybe Andyt's point is more related to Bono's apparent attachment to a gift from the head of a hate group, a man whose very job description is god's representative on earth. Calling them 'ignorant' certainly may have been appropriate in the 5th century, not the 21st.

joegtheog

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »

Of course it does. Bono met the Pope, ergo Bono agrees with everything the Catholic Church (an accepted hate group) declares.

LOL!!!! Yeah! Now that I think about it, my t-shirt is made in China, so I agree wholeheartedly with their repression of Tibet!!!! That makes perfect sense!!! ;D :D

joegtheog

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »

seriously?

Maybe Andyt's point is more related to Bono's apparent attachment to a gift from the head of a hate group, a man whose very job description is god's representative on earth. Calling them 'ignorant' certainly may have been appropriate in the 5th century, not the 21st.

So if its true that the Catholic Church's representative on earth believes that condoms actually spread HIV, that's not ignorant?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »

LOL!!!! Yeah! Now that I think about it, my t-shirt is made in China, so I agree wholeheartedly with their repression of Tibet!!!! That makes perfect sense!!! ;D :D

LOL!!! pi*s poor analogy.

Now, I personally don't give a rat's ass whether or not Bono wears the rosary given to him by the pope, but I certainly wouldn't equate it to where your shirt is made. Now, if it was a personal gift to you from the head of the Chinese Government, you may have a parallel of sorts.