Poll

Do you believe in God?

Yes
58 (65.2%)
No
31 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 04, 2009, 03:05:22 PM

Author Topic: U2.... God... Believe...  (Read 30749 times)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
Re: U2.... God... Believe...
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I find most religions offensive - I was interested recently to hear the popes feelings about condoms. The pope apparently thinks they 'help the spread of HIV'.

And this from a man who pardoned one of his flock for denying the holocaust recently. And lets' not forget the catholic churches stance on homosexuality and women.

Doesn't mr bono wear a rosary given to him by the pope? Are we to believe that mr bono shares the popes thoughts and feelings about the spread of HIV?

Religion makes me angry - sorry.

Bono's rosary is not from this pope.  And I am almost 100% positive he doesnt share that view about HIV. But either way, I share your feelings about religion.  I think it gets in the way of finding God. 

i am also fairly certain that Bono doesn't share this view on condoms. Matter of fact don't you remember during the zoo TV tour they were selling Achtung Baby Condoms. surely it's important to discuss the responsibilities in engaging in sex and in supporting abstinence but one needs to be realistic...but therein is the problem. How can the Pope be realistic in knowing how it feels to live in those conditions in many places in Africa or anywhere there is extreme poverty for that matter? Visiting a geographic location is not knowledge. You have to spend time with people and try to put yourself in their shoes...or lack of. The Pope lives essentially in a palace. he isn't married and has no contact with women in an intimate manner. He cannot possibly relate to the challenges of people who are struggling to pay a mortgage on a home let alone people who essentially haven't a home, or lack food and healthy drinking water, or lost an entire generation to HIV. all of the grandeur he is surrounded by was stolen from other lands. Why don't they start by giving all that back? Time gone by doesn't resolve crimes towards mankind. And, there should be no such thing as killing in the name of God.

whoah...sorry heavy topic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:15:40 PM by Mr. Bonorfied »

joegtheog

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
I don't think its the traits of a hate group as much as an ignorant group. I hear where you are coming from, though.  But Bono getting a gift of a rosary doesn't really have anything to do with this.

Of course it does. Bono met the Pope, ergo Bono agrees with everything the Catholic Church (an accepted hate group) declares.

And the final result is Bono supports a hate group.

LOL!!!! Yeah! Now that I think about it, my t-shirt is made in China, so I agree wholeheartedly with their repression of Tibet!!!! That makes perfect sense!!! ;D :D

LOL!!! pi*s poor analogy.

Now, I personally don't give a rat's ass whether or not Bono wears the rosary given to him by the pope, but I certainly wouldn't equate it to where your shirt is made. Now, if it was a personal gift to you from the head of the Chinese Government, you may have a parallel of sorts.

So if the head of the Chinese government gives me a t-shirt, that means I accept his views?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
I don't think its the traits of a hate group as much as an ignorant group. I hear where you are coming from, though.  But Bono getting a gift of a rosary doesn't really have anything to do with this.

Of course it does. Bono met the Pope, ergo Bono agrees with everything the Catholic Church (an accepted hate group) declares.

LOL!!!! Yeah! Now that I think about it, my t-shirt is made in China, so I agree wholeheartedly with their repression of Tibet!!!! That makes perfect sense!!! ;D :D

Now, I personally don't give a rat's ass whether or not Bono wears the rosary given to him by the pope, but I certainly wouldn't equate it to where your shirt is made. Now, if it was a personal gift to you from the head of the Chinese Government, you may have a parallel of sorts.

So if the head of the Chinese government gives me a t-shirt, that means I accept his views?

You'd cherish your gift from someone whose policies are causing death or suffering to tens of thousands ? Your call.....

joegtheog

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

You'd cherish your gift from someone whose policies are causing death or suffering to tens of thousands ? Your call.....

The government of the U.S. has given me citizenship, and has also caused suffering to hundreds of millions. Are you in complete allegiance to your country of citizenship?

andyt

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »
Are we to believe that mr bono shares the popes thoughts and feelings about the spread of HIV?

seriously?

I'm making a general point about the catholic church.

Any other organised group that held these beliefs would be called a hate group. But because it's religion, people accept it.

Maybe Andyt's point is more related to Bono's apparent attachment to a gift from the head of a hate group, a man whose very job description is god's representative on earth. Calling them 'ignorant' certainly may have been appropriate in the 5th century, not the 21st.

Yes, that's exactly my point. I'm not saying the catholic church is a hate group.

But, if any other belief system's representatives denied the holocaust, said homosexuality was wrong, had a rich history of child abuse, claimed the use of condoms spread HIV and denied women's rights, it would be called a hate group. At the very least it would be against human rights.

Mr bono really should watch who he gets photographed with. Bush? Blair? The Pope? I believe his heart is in the right place but he really is WAY off the mark sometimes.

joegtheog

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
I think its a lot easier to pass judgment on those who actually try to get something done, than to do something yourself.  Something tells me Bono, as much as he likes attention, could care less about who he is photographed with as much as how much he thinks can get done with associating with and having a dialogue with these people. Moammar Qaddafi swore eternal hate to the US when they bombed his compound in 1986 and killed one of his children, yet he recently met and allowed hiimself to be photographed with Condolezza Rice in the spirit of open dialogue and compromise. 

Offline kubokuk

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
Thanks for all the answers, I am waiting for more.

I don't know if the discussion is going in the right direction. We started out with a question about faith, now we are talking about US citizenship;)

Everyone has a right to speak out loud what he/she thinks about religion, but some people go to far. Let's not offend each other.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:53:11 PM by kubokuk »

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »

I don't know if the discussion is going in the right direction. We started out with a question about faith, now we are talking about US citizenship;)

Everyone has a right to speak out loud what he/she thinks about religion, but some people go to far. Let's not offend each other.

Actually, its religion itself that offends me

Offline kubokuk

• Babyface
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »

Actually, its religion itself that offends me

and why?

andyt

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
I think its a lot easier to pass judgment on those who actually try to get something done, than to do something yourself.  Something tells me Bono, as much as he likes attention, could care less about who he is photographed with as much as how much he thinks can get done with associating with and having a dialogue with these people. Moammar Qaddafi swore eternal hate to the US when they bombed his compound in 1986 and killed one of his children, yet he recently met and allowed hiimself to be photographed with Condolezza Rice in the spirit of open dialogue and compromise. 

You're right - and yours is one of the more intelligent things written on this forum.

My personal take on it in terms of mr bono, is that he's part genuine good, and part raging megalomania.

joegtheog

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »

You're right - and yours is one of the more intelligent things written on this forum.

My personal take on it in terms of mr bono, is that he's part genuine good, and part raging megalomania.

Thanks andy.  I agree with you on your take on Bono.  I think he recognizes it too.  I keep coming back to a quote of his.  "I'm sick of Bono, and I AM him."

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Any other organised group that held these beliefs would be called a hate group. But because it's religion, people accept it.

Gotcha, the Catholic Church is a hate group.

Yes, that's exactly my point. I'm not saying the catholic church is a hate group.

Gotcha. The Catholic Church isn't a hate group.

But, if any other belief system's representatives denied the holocaust, said homosexuality was wrong, had a rich history of child abuse, claimed the use of condoms spread HIV and denied women's rights, it would be called a hate group.

wait, what?

my head just exploded.

Offline u2matters

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »
U2's music woke me - spiritually, and continues to.
If I've learned anything along the way from their music, it is that my uncertainty is my guiding light - and that's what gets me up in the morning. The mystery. Certainty would bore me and reeks of over confidence IMO. And by that, I mean certainty about anything.

andyt

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »

Gotcha, the Catholic Church is a hate group.

Gotcha. The Catholic Church isn't a hate group.

But, if any other belief system's representatives denied the holocaust, said homosexuality was wrong, had a rich history of child abuse, claimed the use of condoms spread HIV and denied women's rights, it would be called a hate group.

wait, what?

my head just exploded.

I see what you're trying to do. Read what I said.

I didn't say it was a hate group - I said any other group that openly held those beliefs would be called a hate group. Read any of the left wing press in the UK.

Religious belief systems are complex things.

jimyjazz

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »
I am a member of the Church Of Strange and Norrell.