Poll

Do you believe in God?

Yes
58 (65.2%)
No
31 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: April 04, 2009, 03:05:22 PM

Author Topic: U2.... God... Believe...  (Read 30744 times)

andyt

Re: U2.... God... Believe...
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

Jazz

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »
In regards to Bono and whom he associates with...He's getting results and it's hard to argue with that. Sometimes what you believe in is more valuable than your popularity...or even yourself. I think history will be very kind to Bono.

Even though U2 are already considered legendary...I think history will hold them in even higher regard. I was just watching the Zoo TV tour in HD on comcast on-demand (While I was doing the dishes, lol) and it is still the most incredible experience. I'm thankful to be around at the same time as U2.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »
I don't believe in God at this point in my life.  I was raised fundamental protestant evangelical and have struggled with doubt for most of my life.  I called myself agnostic for a long time, and have only recently started considering myself an atheist/secular humanist.  But my religious background (5 days a week of Bible classes plus church on Sunday morning and Sunday night until I was 18, then another 4 years of more progressive Bible classes in college) definitely gives me a framework for understanding U2's lyrics. 

I admire Bono's belief.  I've often wished I could believe, but for me it isn't as simple as just making a choice ("I would believe if I was able . . .").  I believe in equality, freedom, justice, and the power of the human spirit.  "Magnificent" is my favorite song on NLOTH.  I believe in the things I think he means by the word "God" -- just not in the actual person, "God." 

I read somewhere that Bono's father, Bob, once told him the only thing he envied was Bono's ability to believe, to have a relationship with God, to "hear something back from the silence."  I understand that statement.  Maybe that's part of why I'm still drawn to the music of U2, even as my faith in religion falls away.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:56:44 PM by MirrorballMoon »

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 01:02:13 AM »
No, i do not. To me: god is love. love is music, holding hands, a raindrop, laughter etc. it's everything..and can be found everywhere.

Reminds me of a quote like "we're not built to understand a concept as big as God". At one point, i had a lot of faith in this universal love, but that's fading slowly. In terms of religion and God in the judeo-christian tradition...I don't see the need for a forgiver, redeemer, saviour etc. I feel that it creates a lot of excuses and removes a lot of accountability. I'd like ppl to take more responsibility for their actions, and their lives. The notion of an omniscient and omnipresent entity/elderly, white male (WHY is it always a man?!) who has a plan for you, renders free will irrelevant and useless--if not non-existent, making life...what? I rehearsal for a play that will never be stage [to paraphrase].

To borrow from a philosopher, "I'm afraid were losing the real virtues of living life passionately in the sense of taking responsibility for who you are the ability to make something of yourself and feel good about life." Religion, God can do that to some, money, wealth, power etc. can do it to others...

“There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." ~ brilliant!

andyt

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »

Or:

'there's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another, but not enough to make them love'

Spot on.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 03:10:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Or:

'there's just enough religion in the world to make men hate one another, but not enough to make them love'

Spot on.

That's my thoughts exactly. Religion is built on good principles, but all the bs baggage that comes with it goes against its purpose. Spirituality is a good thing; religion often is not.

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 05:35:00 AM »
I think three answers Bono has given to this question at different U2 eras are all brilliant, and get closer to the actual experience the poll is asking about, so I would borrow his replies:

1. Who cares what I believe?  Surely the question is whether Jesus Christ is credible.
2. It's not interesting whether I believe in God; what matters is that God believes in me.
3. No. I never believed. I knew.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 05:54:05 AM »
I think three answers Bono has given to this question at different U2 eras are all brilliant, and get closer to the actual experience the poll is asking about, so I would borrow his replies:

1. Who cares what I believe?  Surely the question is whether Jesus Christ is credible.
2. It's not interesting whether I believe in God; what matters is that God believes in me.

That is one of the best quotes I think I have ever read from Bono.

Mal

andyt

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:22 AM »

That is one of the best quotes I think I have ever read from Bono.

Mal

For me, that quote is typical of the bigoted thinking behind a lot of religion and why I don't like it.

I'm sure it's taken out of context here - these threads often spiral off into different directions which is what makes them interesting.

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 07:27:47 AM »
This doesn't mean anyone need like the fact that Bono said it, of course, since part of the whole U2 thing is that people are invited to disagree and find their own way .... but that third quote is from John Waters' 1994 book, "Race of Angels: Ireland and the Genesis of U2," p 154 and is very much in context. Bono has just been talking with Waters about how intense his early group experiences of God were, which he compares to "a rave for the God-squad" and attributes to "a movement of the spirit" that happened in 1977 and, he claims, recurs at various points throughout history. 
Here's the full following section verbatim:

===
Did you always, I asked him, believe?

No. I knew. [italics in the original] In a very powerful way, I knew that there was something to this. And I didn't believe then, instinctively, the line that I was being sold in school and the intelligentsia - which is the God is Dead line. I always remember in school, written on the wall, 'God is dead - Nietzsche' and written underneath it 'Nietzsche's dead - God.' A classic graffiti line. I just knew that there was something there.
===

andyt

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:37 AM »
This doesn't mean anyone need like the fact that Bono said it, of course, since part of the whole U2 thing is that people are invited to disagree and find their own way .... but that third quote is from John Waters' 1994 book, "Race of Angels: Ireland and the Genesis of U2," p 154 and is very much in context. Bono has just been talking with Waters about how intense his early group experiences of God were, which he compares to "a rave for the God-squad" and attributes to "a movement of the spirit" that happened in 1977 and, he claims, recurs at various points throughout history. 
Here's the full following section verbatim:

===
Did you always, I asked him, believe?

No. I knew. [italics in the original] In a very powerful way, I knew that there was something to this. And I didn't believe then, instinctively, the line that I was being sold in school and the intelligentsia - which is the God is Dead line. I always remember in school, written on the wall, 'God is dead - Nietzsche' and written underneath it 'Nietzsche's dead - God.' A classic graffiti line. I just knew that there was something there.
===

Very good - you're right, everything in context...

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 07:38:19 AM »

I just wanted to know, if some of you has a feeling like that also. Does believing (or not) in God has an any effect on the way you think about U2.

No. I don't believe in God. But I believe in U2.

Offline vertigo5000

• Babyface
  • Stewing in my own juices
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »
I'm Agnostic

I cant prove Gods existance nor non-existance.
I hate all religions they're evil  >:(
I love U2's music but I cant say that I respect blind faith
but then again, believe what you want as long as it doesnt affect me or my way of life

my 2 pennies :)

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2009, 07:57:45 AM »
Some interesting discussion going on, here. I won't try to join the whole "does God exist or not?" debate. IMO that can't be "proven" by humans any more than evolution can be "proven"—they call it a faith or a theory for a reason. But I am very much a follower of Christ-as-God, though, like Bono, I often have a problem with the religion of Christianity.

As for my belief having an affect on my appreciation of U2...

The first, and very basic reason I like U2, would be I like their sound. Regardless of the message of a group, or the hotness of an artist, I have to like their sound, or I don’t listen to it. I’m picky like that. :P While there are a few songs, I’d honestly have to admit I don’t like, the vast majority of U2’s music is something I can listen to over and over and never get sick of. It has staying power.

Another reason would be their lyrics. The more I listen to U2’s music, the more I realize how many layers of meaning can be found in a simple line. And then there’s the originality in the way Bono phrases things. Lyrics like “the rich stay healthy/the sick stay poor” aren’t what I’d expect to hear, but they fit perfectly. It’s inspired me in my own writing.

Finally, though I don’t always agree with everything they do or say, I connect with U2 at a world-view/spiritual level. Their beliefs are present in more than their music. I highly respect their activism (I joined the ONE Campaign last fall) and what they're doing to help the disadvantaged in the world. U2 could just sit around in their mansions and live it up. Instead, they’re out making a difference, and I love them for that.

Also, I’ve always appreciated Christians who shine in a tolerant way. U2 mostly aren’t hitting people over the head with the way they think things should be, but they’re not apologizing for their beliefs, either. It’s something I try to emulate.

Some people have said that U2 has screwed up often, bragged a bit too much, etc.—and of course they have. But so have I. That's why I'm, "a believer in grace over karma." ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:00:21 AM by {She Moves In} Mystways »

Offline kboman

• Wanderer
  • begin again, again and again
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »
Having been an atheist since age 8 (I'm now 27 and lots of change), I'd have to say that no, I don't believe in any god. It just seemed absurdly far fetched even at that young age. Religion is something separate from belief, in my experience: belief is about the individual, religion about the individual's place in the world. Sometimes the two coexist.

I really like this Edge quote: "I don't have a problem with Christ, I have a problem with christians."

Some interesting discussion going on, here. I won't try to join the whole "does God exist or not?" debate. IMO that can't be "proven" by humans any more than evolution can be "proven"—they call it a faith or a theory for a reason. But I am very much a follower of Christ-as-God, though, like Bono, I often have a problem with the religion of Christianity.

Let's not confuse evolution with faith, please. Evolution is the name given the process of biological change over time. It has several sizable mountain ranges of support and has been observed in action in repeatable experiments.

A scientific theory is not a guess.