Author Topic: Most disappointing support act  (Read 9079 times)

lauren

Re: Most disappointing support act
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
Primus was definitely the worst for me, at my first U2 show in 1992.

A few highlights: Pearl Jam, Keane, Institute (not as good as Bush but I like Gavin Rossdale), PJ Harvey (surprised how many people here said they didn't like her). 

Wish I had seen others including No Doubt, Kanye (don't know that I would have liked him but it would have been interesting), and a bunch of others mbeano listed.

liewerizon

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 10:16:06 AM »
For me, PJ Harvey for Vertigo-Calgary '01. Smash Mouth was suprisingly bad while they open for U2 in Vancouver during Popmart '97 as well.

Offline Hohat

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »
PJ Harvey at Wembley in 1992 - terrible!

Kelis at Earls Court in 2001 - assumed she would be awful, and so didn't turn up until after she was done!

Athlete at Twickenham 2005 - thought they were brilliant, and then went to see them again in concert at Somerset House later in the summer (The Doves were the the other support act that day, and they were pretty decent too)

Damian Marley at Oakland 2005 - pretty awful, but it was fun hearing him do Could You Be Loved (the only time anyone seemed to get into it was when he played one of his dad's songs - what a surprise!)

Wembley in August 2009 - let's see how Elbow fare...

Offline ConcertCato

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 11:08:51 AM »
I wasn't really into Rage Against the Machine when they open for U2 on the POPMART show in Memphis and Kanye West was booed at the Vertigo show in St.Louis. I thought Kanye was interesting, but I'm a not fan.
Let's face it. The reason behind crap opening acts is to make U2 sound better. Opening bands inflate the fans apprecation of U2. That's what U2 wants.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wasn't really into Rage Against the Machine when they open for U2 on the POPMART show in Memphis and Kanye West was booed at the Vertigo show in St.Louis. I thought Kanye was interesting, but I'm a not fan.
Let's face it. The reason behind crap opening acts is to make U2 sound better. Opening bands inflate the fans apprecation of U2. That's what U2 wants.

I could come up with a lot of criticisms of u2, but it's patently false to claim that they're picking bands that suck so they'll look better. 

They don't need to do it, because no matter what I may say in posts, they are one of the best live acts around.  The only bands, that I'm aware of, who might make them look less impressive are Springsteen and the Rolling Stones.

It'd be tough to follow those acts.....on the other hand, if U2 opened for them, they could have the same problem. 

U2's studio work, IMO, has been sketchy this century, but their live shows are still top notch.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:30:48 PM by suppers ready »

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »
Forgettables were:
PJ Harvey
Damien Marley
Sugarcubes...horrible!

Great ones:
Public Enemy best opener yet
Oasis
The Pretenders
Pixies
Kings of Leon

Whatevers:
No Doubt
Red Rockers

Then there's the ones I really don't remember.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
What tour did the Pretenders open for U2 on Hawk????

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »
Pearl Jam

NOT!!!!

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Peral Jam

Worst: BEP, I am seriously considering not showing up for the opening...or listening to some Gangster Rap, that would be very funny, Fergie to NWA

hurricane hugo

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What tour did the Pretenders open for U2 on Hawk????

They opened on at least a few dates on the Joshua Tree tour.

#@!

Offline lunch

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:31 AM »
Worst I've Seen - Rage Against the Machine
Best I've Seen - The Pixies (how often do you get to see 2 of your 3 favorite bands in the same show.  If only Radiohead would have been there as well)

No Doubt was decent as well.  I would have to admit I semi became a fan of their last album due to the 4 times I saw them open up Elevation.

Someone posted about Dashboard Confessional.  When did they open up for U2?

hrsan

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
I've seen the following:

Los Lobos/Buckwheat Zydeco - Joshua Tree tour - Tampa Stadium
No Doubt - Elevation tour - Madison Square Garden
Kings of Leon -Vertigo tour -Continental Airlines Arena

So the most disappointing support act was Kings of Leon.  I really like their music, but they weren't good live.

No Doubt definitely the best.

Offline Norm

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
Pixies were disappointing to me b/c they didn't sound that great live - at least for that night.  I'm curious to see how these opening acts do in large stadiums.  I think Muse has the sort of sound that will translate well. 

Offline green19

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
The problem with U2's opening acts are not that they are bad - some, like PJ Harvey, are very good - but by depriving them of the use of U2's entire speaker system they make them sound bad. It's always a relief when they are over, even though I know if I went to their own shows they might be pretty good.

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
Not really looking forward to seeing Black Eyed Peas TWICE (Vegas and PHX)...Oh well. I'm going for U2!!!!