Author Topic: Most disappointing support act  (Read 9155 times)

Offline tucka

• Babyface
Re: Most disappointing support act
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 04:57:54 AM »
saw glasvegas in february and they were really good. it will interesting to see them in a stadium environment in the summer

Offline Louie

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »
Best was B.B. King - (included in Rattle & Hum) movie - Ft. Worth - 1987
Biggest disappoinment by far was War tour - 1983 - Kansas City.  We were so stoked for The Alarm (still have the ticket stub listing them) but their bus broke down and we got The Shapes.  I think they were a local band - SO not The Alarm.

Offline monarchs99

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »
The BoDeans opened for U2 in 1987 and they were absolutely great. I even bought their first two albums after the show.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The problem with U2's opening acts are not that they are bad - some, like PJ Harvey, are very good - but by depriving them of the use of U2's entire speaker system they make them sound bad. It's always a relief when they are over, even though I know if I went to their own shows they might be pretty good.

I'm pretty sure I've read interviews with bands that say that they are given full access to the P.A.

I know that for the 2nd Miami show in 2001, I moved to teh back of the venue for the Coors and the sound was excellent.  PJ sounded awful in houston from the upper deck on Adam's side.  I'm sure U2 sounded equally bad....but i moved directly behind the sound board, to watch the boys (the best place to listen to almost any band).

Offline beershack

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »
Best:  The Waterboys

Worst: Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

Offline Yggdrasille

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 02:54:16 AM »
I enjoyed seeing PJ Harvey open for U2 on Elevation tour, but as much as I love her I think her music is much better suited to smaller venues, not arenas.

Saw Kanye West twice on Vertigo tour. I thought he really threw himself into performance, but in the end he wasn't really playing to his audience. You just can't have a great gig without the right crowd reaction.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 05:59:45 AM »
Saw Kanye West twice on Vertigo tour. I thought he really threw himself into performance, but in the end he wasn't really playing to his audience. You just can't have a great gig without the right crowd reaction.

I was actually really impressed with the way Kanye West adapted his set (well, the songs didn't really change but his demeanor and the delivery did) as he worked out the Aussie/NZ crowds. Thought he looked out of his depth in Brisbane but by Auckland he was really firing. My favourite U2 support act... :-)

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
Never saw them open (thank god) but No Doubt would be my pick for the worst. 

Offline danjcpa

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »
Hey, this is my first post, but I have to say the most dissappointing oppening acts that i saw were:

Damien Marley & PJ Harvey.

My favorite opening acts that i saw were:

No Doubt, Keane and the Zutons. I never heard about the Zutons before or after the show, but they brought down the house when I saw them open for U2 in Nice, France.

Offline rodander

• Babyface
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »
Hey, this is my first post, but I have to say the most dissappointing oppening acts that i saw were:

Damien Marley . . .

Damien Marley was terrible.  But I wasn't disappointed because my expectations for him were zero.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »
Don't understand the hate for Damian Marley here.  I thought he was quite good.  I also find it funny how a few years ago people were slagging KOL and now that they've gotten big some people seem to be changing their minds around here. 

Offline rodander

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
Don't understand the hate for Damian Marley here.  I thought he was quite good.  I also find it funny how a few years ago people were slagging KOL and now that they've gotten big some people seem to be changing their minds around here. 

To each their own.  I'm certainly no reggaeton connissouer, but when I saw him, his act was loud like a Saturn V rocket and no more intelligible.  His backup singer gals were the only saving grace, after the five seconds that I watched the dude with the flag.   

No hate.  But it was music that I don't like, performed poorly.

daveyg

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »
hey, U2 need a crappy-ish support down with the volume slightly down to make their entrance look good (not that they need it but it helps)

One that stands out were The Golden Hoarde in 93 in Dublin. I didn't like the band to start with and their brief pathetic performance sort of clinched it for me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:36:00 AM by daveyg »

Offline Jerid58

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
I've seen Third Eye Blind, Garbage, Kings of Leon, and Kanye West.

I gotta say, I didnt even know that TEB was opening up until we got to the show (Popmart) and I was pumped because I was really into them, and still like them. Garbage was pretty decent.

Kanye as someone else mentioned was booed off the stage in St. Louis, pretty funny because he was pretty cocky I thought. He was the worst opener for U2 I have seen.

Pretty stoked about Snow Patrol in Chi-town this year, they are really pretty good.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »

His backup singer gals were the only saving grace, after the five seconds that I watched the dude with the flag.   

Haha, I actually told my friend at the show, I wanted to be the dude with the flag.