Author Topic: Most disappointing support act  (Read 9140 times)

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Most disappointing support act
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »
REM 1985 at Milton Keynes Bowl,really bad! Pogues at Wembley on JT tour,sucked! Alarm at Cardiff on JT were great,but the Bravery at Manchester in 05 get my sypathy vote,so much technical trouble,the sound guy even came out on stage to apologise to everyone!

Offline Shug

• Babyface
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
I've never really liked any U2 openers I've seen.  They seem to pick trendy bands that, in my opinion, don't really fit well with U2's music. 

No Doubt
Kings Of Leon
PJ Harvey
Sugar Cubes
Public Enemy

I disliked all of those bands, but worst for me will certainly be Black Eyed Peas.  I'll just be wishing they'd get off the stage so we can get to the good music.  Why all the dance, pop, rap and unmelodic grungy stuff?  Why not a band that is more melodic and roots oriented?  I know they are trying to have bands that sound different but I just don't like those kinds of music.

The Alarm was a good choice of opener for them. Ditto for Los Lobos.  Didn't the Pretenders open some shows in the early 90s?  Today they could go with something like Ben Harper, Teenage Fan Club, John Mayer, Howlin' Rain.

I'd really prefer no opener and a longer show from U2.

Offline drumu2

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
I saw them with No Doubt in 2001 - and they were awesome.  Really opened my eyes to their style of music.

However, in 2005 I saw them with Kanye West.  It was terrible.  I just hate the guy and his music, nuff said.  Also saw them with Damian Marley which was better than Kanye but still nothing to get excited about.

And I'm pretty ticked off that the same thing is happening this tour - they always pick the shows closest to me to have the lamest openers.  I want MUSE!

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »
I once saw a show in 1983 (Sevie Nicks) that was added on as an additional show, so the normal opening act for the tour (Joe Walsh of The Eagles) wasn't required to be there, so we got some local yocal....Todd Pratt and The Pull or something like that! ughhhhh We still laugh at the memory of it though!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:33:44 AM by wrldchamps04 »

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've never really liked any U2 openers I've seen.  They seem to pick trendy bands that, in my opinion, don't really fit well with U2's music. 

No Doubt
Kings Of Leon
PJ Harvey
Sugar Cubes
Public Enemy

I disliked all of those bands, but worst for me will certainly be Black Eyed Peas.  I'll just be wishing they'd get off the stage so we can get to the good music.  Why all the dance, pop, rap and unmelodic grungy stuff?  Why not a band that is more melodic and roots oriented?  I know they are trying to have bands that sound different but I just don't like those kinds of music.

The Alarm was a good choice of opener for them. Ditto for Los Lobos.  Didn't the Pretenders open some shows in the early 90s?  Today they could go with something like Ben Harper, Teenage Fan Club, John Mayer, Howlin' Rain.

I'd really prefer no opener and a longer show from U2.

While I agree that U2 does tend to pick ... "bands that, in my opinion, don't really fit well with U2's music".   I see this as a positive NOT a negative.  Variety and diversity are good things.  If U2 were to always pick bands of the same genre or that sound like them, that would not be nearly as interesting and far less likely an opportunity to discover something new.

And as far as thier picks being merely "trendy", that is FAR from the truth.
–adjective
1.    of, in, or pertaining to the latest trend or style.
2.    following the latest trends or fashions; up-to-date or chic: the trendy young generation.
3.    appealing to faddish taste: a trendy hotel.

1)  In order to be considered trendy, by definition, there must be a decent amount of popular.  3 of the 5 bands (Sugarcubes, Pj Harvey, and Kings of Leon) you listed as trendy openers did not have anywhere near the popularity required to call them trendy at the time they opened for U2.
2)  All of the bands you have listed have had loyal continual and growing fanbases while they were together (Sugarcubes the exception, however even here, Bjork came from this band and she certainly qualifies as an artist with a  loyal continual and growing fanbase)
3)  Most of the bands you have listed have had major critical acclaim through the course of several years and albums
4)  All the artists listed have had fairly long careers
5)  2 of them have been very influential, while one member of the Sugarcubes (Bjork) becoming extremely influential on her own

Try a different adjective because EVERY aspect of the definition of trendy has been completely disproven.

Also a look at thier history of opening acts shows a HUGE number of Influential bands, underground bands (at the time) and bands with a great amount of critical acclaim, far superior to ANY of the bands you listed as being better possible openers

Arcade Fire, BRMC, Interpol, Ramones, Velvet Underground, Public Enemy, Bjork (in the Sugarcubes and on her own), Pearl Jam (more than just the last Hawaii show), Pixies, Coldplay, and many other reknown modern rock bands (which would be in the same genre/category as U2)

Yes Im disappointed that I get Black Eyed Peas, but that doe not mean U2 has historically picked trendy bands, that accusation is extremely false and unsubstantiated.  Go check u2tours.com.  The are some duds, but the majority of their opening acts from ZOOTV  forward have had success commercially or critically.  Dont confuse your own distaste or unfamiliarity with something being trendy

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
I feel bad for the people who are going to be tortured with the Black Eyed Peas. Thankfully I'm not. :) :)

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Snow Patrol were feeble in 2005. I'm dreading this year's effort already!

Fatima Mansions almost sent me to sleep in 1992.

On a brighter note - The Pogues, 1987, The Longpigs, 1997.  ;D

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
As much as i quite like their Seldom seen kid album,i cant imagine Elbow being a particularly exciting prospect as a live act,it should be a band that is going to get the crowd pumped up ready for the main event,not mellow them out!!

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
As much as i quite like their Seldom seen kid album,i cant imagine Elbow being a particularly exciting prospect as a live act,it should be a band that is going to get the crowd pumped up ready for the main event,not mellow them out!!

pft ... Have you been to a U2 concert?  If you have, Im not sure how you could think that last statement at all.

There is absolutely NO NEED for anything or any band to "get the crowd pumped up ready for the main event"

I'd much rather hear a band I havent seen live before, havent heard of, or might not see otherwise... the possibility of a band ruprising you live is well worth it... If they sucked, who the hell cares, I can go get a drink, talk to my freinds, check out the booths/organizations etc, who the hell cares, I paid purely for U2.  If they were great!  SWEET!  BONUS! 

Offline donvalley360

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:32 AM »
r

pft ... Have you been to a U2 concert?  If you have, Im not sure how you could think that last statement at all.

There is absolutely NO NEED for anything or any band to "get the crowd pumped up ready for the main event"

I'd much rather hear a band I havent seen live before, havent heard of, or might not see otherwise... the possibility of a band ruprising you live is well worth it... If they sucked, who the hell cares, I can go get a drink, talk to my freinds, check out the booths/organizations etc, who the hell cares, I paid purely for U2.  If they were great!  SWEET!  BONUS! 

Err,yeah i've been to a U2 show,and believe me,that crowd at the first night in Manchester needed 50000 volts thru it,and Snow patrol didnt manage it,so i suppose im dreading the same thing happening again cos the first half the crowd was pretty dire as a whole,thats why i said it'd be good to have a band that could get a crowd pumped to start with.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
marxman at Leeds Roundhay Park on the Zooropa tour were just awful ... >:( all that i can remember was a song they sang called F**k Columbus . they were so bad . And i had the misfortune of seeing them again the same year supporting Depeche Mode on their tour .

Another un honorable mention must go to Kelis who i endured 3 times on the Elevation tour !

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
I think its time U2 pulled a
"Rush" and got rid of the opening bands all together.

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

Pulled a "Rush"?  How about pull a Springsteen.  Never had a "warm up" act because a) He does the "warming up," and b) his shows are 3+ hours long.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »

Pulled a "Rush"?  How about pull a Springsteen.  Never had a "warm up" act because a) He does the "warming up," and b) his shows are 3+ hours long.

Um, Rush do the same thing....
3+ for them as well. Plus they don't just pose with their instruments half the time, they play them :)

Offline MrsBrown

• Stateless
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 02:08:02 PM »

Um, Rush do the same thing....
3+ for them as well. Plus they don't just pose with their instruments half the time, they play them :)

Brown's 4th Law of Thermodynamics: Never enter into a pi**ing contest with a Rush fan, you will laugh until your head explodes.