Author Topic: New Song on Red Wired  (Read 18809 times)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
Re: New Song on Red Wired
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There isn't much that rhymes with 'Palestinian', is there, TraKianLite? 

Pinion, minion, opinion...OK, true enough.

As for the 33/45/78 system, surely everyone should at least know this through their parents' old records? Apparently not. But it was only twenty years ago that it started to phase out.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »
"It was twenty years ago today,  that records ceased to play..."  Sorry, I'm not much of a lyric writer.  But at least I know my way around a 45.   :D

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »
"It was twenty years ago today,  that records ceased to play..."  Sorry, I'm not much of a lyric writer.  But at least I know my way around a 45.   :D
TOO funny.

My kids only know about them because of my old turntable, but I didn't even set that up the last time we relocated the stereo.
I do think that some will know about 33/45/78 either because of turntables' use in rap songs or because they now have the USB turntables, allowing you to skip directly from vinyl to Ipod.  I would have offered to do that for my dad (age 77 - with thousands of records), but he'd never use the Ipod.  Now if I could only find him a new needle that works.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
The single most versatile record ever made may be "Cat People" by David Bowie...in particular, the 45 RPM. It sounds (especially) good at 33 RPMs and it sounds good at 78 RPMs. Those with turntables may want to try that experiment and see what you think.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 08:20:24 AM »
Am I the youngest person on here who only buys vinyl and knows her way around a turn table!?

;D

It makes me feel good because I actually know what you guys are talking about!

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Am I the youngest person on here who only buys vinyl

Sheesh.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 11:25:24 AM »
Whats a turn table.   :D  ::) 8)

Offline Dark Angel

• Oh HAI
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45:05 AM »
Am I the youngest person on here who only buys vinyl

Sheesh.

I do buy some CDs but the oldies are Vinyl. new ones don't really come out on Vinyl and if they do they are far to expensive.

I go to a lot of record fares where there are hundreds of vinyls.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 06:57:49 AM »
Question--
After reading the blog from Greg Lake-- why wouldn't he have already known that they were doing the song?  He wrote it, I would think that even though he probably signed off on rights to the song that out of common courtesy he would have been contacted somehow that they were going to do the song.  Emerson, Lake and Palmer was an amazing band.

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »
I really like this cover.  Way better than their version of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", and more U2-ish to boot.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 08:11:59 PM »
I agree, a nice little cover, it really gets me hyped up for the new single.  :)

hurricane hugo

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 09:31:20 PM »
My kids only know about them because of my old turntable, but I didn't even set that up the last time we relocated the stereo.
I do think that some will know about 33/45/78 either because of turntables' use in rap songs or because they now have the USB turntables, allowing you to skip directly from vinyl to Ipod.  I would have offered to do that for my dad (age 77 - with thousands of records), but he'd never use the Ipod.  Now if I could only find him a new needle that works.

Try Stanton's website. I read an article in Mix a couple of years ago about the team that did a bunch of Alan Lomax/Smithsonian remasters, and one of the engineers said that Stanton still makes pretty much every variety of phonograph needle ever made. Might not be cheap, though. A pro DJ supply shop might be an option as well.

#@!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »

Back when I sold high-end home stereos, we sold Ortofon cartridges. You want a new cartridge over just a new needle if you have a quality turntable. You'll need to know what make and model of turntable you have to insure you are getting the right equipment for it. I checked online and they seem to still exist.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 10:40:43 PM »
Thanks for that information Joe & Hugo.  I need a new needle for my turntable. I have so much on vinyl. I will look into it.  Oh, I forgot to say how much I love the song! It sounds beautiful. Adam looks cute just chilling out over there and Lawrence, Jr. with that tambourine is beyond adorable. OK, I can't help myself, I just had to say that.  I better get back over to the Love Threads with this kind of talk  :-*
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:13:56 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »
Nice cover, U2. Now, how about some original material?