7 (8.9%)
White as Snow
4 (5.1%)
Breathe
1 (1.3%)
Cedars of Lebanon
12 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Worst Song  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
Worst Song
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »
Just wanted to find out everyones least fav tune from no line mines is prob cedars

satellitedog01

Re: Worst Song
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
Well I voted Butz, but Moment of Surrender is also a contender in the least liked songs contest for me. The vocals are good, but the music is underwhelming and could be anyone else.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »
Probably boots. I still don't dislike, in fact it's growing on me. It's feels a little disposable though.

Offline hernandezhennessey

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Probably boots. I still don't dislike, in fact it's growing on me. It's feels a little disposable though.

Exactly my thoughts

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »
I'm surprised Unknown Caller hasn't got a vote after the abuse its being getting on this forum
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:04:46 AM by U2Lemon »

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:01:38 AM »
I surprised Unknown Caller hasn't got a vote after the abuse its being getting on this forum

It's early in the voting yet. I voted Boots, but it's highly relative. It just means I'm most likely to skip Boots because I want to hear Stand Up or Breathe before I need to do something else.

I think Unknown Caller is a barometer of sorts. I'd like to see a correlation between loving that song and loving the album versus hating the song and disliking or being lukewarm to the album. Maybe there isn't a strong one (or one that's stronger than the correlation for other songs) but I happen to see it as the emotional and creative high-point of the album. I can understand that if UC is a turn-off, then the album would be lacking something.

Offline kboman

• Wanderer
  • begin again, again and again
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »
I think Unknown Caller is a barometer of sorts. I'd like to see a correlation between loving that song and loving the album versus hating the song and disliking or being lukewarm to the album. Maybe there isn't a strong one (or one that's stronger than the correlation for other songs) but I happen to see it as the emotional and creative high-point of the album. I can understand that if UC is a turn-off, then the album would be lacking something.

Very good point. I can't stand UC (and have stated so in that thread) and I feel the album is a bit so-so. In terms of the sound and composition, it's a definite improvement and the best thing the band has done since Pop. In terms of lyrics and phrasing, things have really gone downhill for Bono. I mean, a get that faith and all that is something that attracts them personally and artistically and that's just groovy if it's done well - but especially Bono's vocal phrasing has fallen to shambles lately. It really bugs me because he used to be a master craftsman.

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
Looking at the voting, it was pretty stupid for U2 to release boots as first single

satellitedog01

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:37:34 AM »
Well someone there must have felt it sounded fresh, which it certainly does, you know Vertigo was around for a long-long time before getting finalised as Vertigo, and U2 had some very fresh sounding B-sides along the road... Also it seems to me somebody felt a need for beating the Beatles at their own game, with such pretty and professionally concocted poptunes like Crazy and Comedy, so the middle section having these lighter tunes makes sense to me(though I find Crazy to be the best tune on the album)

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »
Well someone there must have felt it sounded fresh, which it certainly does, you know Vertigo was around for a long-long time before getting finalised as Vertigo, and U2 had some very fresh sounding B-sides along the road... Also it seems to me somebody felt a need for beating the Beatles at their own game, with such pretty and professionally concocted poptunes like Crazy and Comedy, so the middle section having these lighter tunes makes sense to me(though I find Crazy to be the best tune on the album)

I agree, think Crazy is a great tune don't know why everyone hates it

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »
By the way -- somewhat of a tangent here -- I'd put in a plug for distinguishing between what we think is "worst" and what's our "least favorite." Those are, or should be, two different categories. And I think some of the discourse here would be more respectful by being more cognizant of that.

For instance: I love Zooropa (the album). If I were to say what my least favorite song is, I'd probably say Babyface. I don't think it's the worst song, however. I'll grant that it may be better in its complexity, its lyrics than Some Days... even though I really enjoy Some Days. And I think Some Days is quite a nice pop song with as much singability as you'll find on that album.

The reason the distinction is important is that favorite / least favorite is not worth an argument, it's 100% subjective, and it doesn't infringe or insult anyone else's sense of preference.

On the other hand, best / worst infers an attempt to apply an objective standard, one that while still laden with personal bias tends to provoke an argument because it can infringe on others' standards. These standards are often very loosely defined, if they're defined at all, so the opiners end up talking past one another, rather than working toward mutual understanding.

Not that we don't all enjoy the back-and-forth, but I do think we have so many different perspectives here, that we might really be enriched from others' perspectives *more* if there were more distinction between preference and quality, and more discussion about the standards we're applying when we talk about quality. There definitely is some discussion of standards in here, but it gets lost quite easily.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »
I love every song, but if I had to pick, I'd choose Crazy Tonight.

It just seems out of place on the album.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »
FEZ - Being Born

The Being Born part is cool, but the FEZ part is pointless.  The song doesn't deliver anything, in the end.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »
Well I voted Butz, but Moment of Surrender is also a contender in the least liked songs contest for me. The vocals are good, but the music is underwhelming and could be anyone else.

My vote also goes for MOS. It sounds too MOR for me, like a poor song from HTDAAB.

satellitedog01

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
Oh.... Northern Soul got it so right. FEZ, the most intriguing title and concept is so undercooked...