7 (8.9%)
White as Snow
4 (5.1%)
Breathe
1 (1.3%)
Cedars of Lebanon
12 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Worst Song  (Read 2807 times)

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Worst Song
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
Fez-Being Born is the only song I skip over.  I've tried to listen but I just can't get into it.

I generally never try to criticize U2 and their work because I realize that one mans trash is another man's treasure.  On the other hand, I think it's weird, odd, corny, and even narcissistic to use a sample of your own song on another song on the very same album on which that original song was recorded (i.e. Let me in the sound).  My only criticism of the entire album is the Fez portion of the song.....it's a BIG miss with me.  The Being Born portion is below average, IMO, therefore the worst song on the record according to me.  I'm glad the brilliance of Unknown Caller can outshine the narcissistic triteness of Fez.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »
I honestly do not have a least favorite so I did not vote. I play it all the way through.  Come on-Boots is not that bad. It is a fun song that gets you moving! What's so bad about that really ???

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fez-Being Born is the only song I skip over.  I've tried to listen but I just can't get into it.

I generally never try to criticize U2 and their work because I realize that one mans trash is another man's treasure.  On the other hand, I think it's weird, odd, corny, and even narcissistic to use a sample of your own song on another song on the very same album on which that original song was recorded (i.e. Let me in the sound).  My only criticism of the entire album is the Fez portion of the song.....it's a BIG miss with me.  The Being Born portion is below average, IMO, therefore the worst song on the record according to me.  I'm glad the brilliance of Unknown Caller can outshine the narcissistic triteness of Fez.

You, sir, have not only got a name which makes you automatically brilliant, but you summed up my view perfectly, word for word.

Is there any chance you're me in disguise?  :P

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
I can't get over the hatred for "Boots".  You know I'll bet that if U2 released "Magnificent" and never made "Boots" a single, it would've been received better.  I think that with a single, you expect a great first impression of what the record will bring.  Go over U2's album releases and their singles.  I don't think "Boots" was the best jumping point for NLOTH.  If it were just another song, it would be more popular.  Like, "hmmm...Song 5 is not my favorite but it's upbeat and has a cool chorus".  Think if "SUC" was the first release.  Would you still hate "Boots" more? I really don't think so.  Just my opinion.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
I don't get the hate for Boots on the disc *or* as a single.

To me, it was the obvious choice for a single- it was fast, verycatchy, and extremely radio-friendly. It's not the best song on the album, but as a song for catching attention and saying 'U2 are back and better than ever'- with something similar to Vertigo but incorporating more of the old 'Unforgettable Fire'' guitar and 90s' experimentation... I think it works.

And I still play it a lot because of how catchy it is, it's really grown on me since the single release.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »

You, sir, have not only got a name which makes you automatically brilliant, but you summed up my view perfectly, word for word.

Is there any chance you're me in disguise?  :P

I'm not sure....maybe.  I'll have to check into that.  :)