Author Topic: Which do you prefer: GA or the $250 floor seats?  (Read 10823 times)

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
Which do you prefer: GA or the $250 floor seats?
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
I am planning to go to both the Phoenix and Vegas shows, and am anxiously awaiting them to show up on U2.com again! I am a Horizon member so I should be able to get tix for both of them.

Anyway, I'm wondering if most people prefer the GA tickets or the expensive floor seats. My friend told me that she got GA during the last tour, and while she got really close to the stage (right next to it), she couldn't move from her spot for about 8 hours - including standing in line, and once she got up there, no using the bathroom or getting anything to drink. I have a dilemma because I can't really afford the $250 seats (probably could swing it but it would be a financial strain), but I also have chronic medical issues and can't possibly stand up that long, especially without water and use of a restroom! I have never seen U2 in concert and really want the best seats. I am so excited to see U2 but now am worrying about this! Help!

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
Re: Which do you prefer: GA or the $250 floor seats?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:06:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am planning to go to both the Phoenix and Vegas shows, and am anxiously awaiting them to show up on U2.com again! I am a Horizon member so I should be able to get tix for both of them.

Anyway, I'm wondering if most people prefer the GA tickets or the expensive floor seats. My friend told me that she got GA during the last tour, and while she got really close to the stage (right next to it), she couldn't move from her spot for about 8 hours - including standing in line, and once she got up there, no using the bathroom or getting anything to drink. I have a dilemma because I can't really afford the $250 seats (probably could swing it but it would be a financial strain), but I also have chronic medical issues and can't possibly stand up that long, especially without water and use of a restroom! I have never seen U2 in concert and really want the best seats. I am so excited to see U2 but now am worrying about this! Help!

I prefer seated tickets for many of the same reasons, plus the fact that I am short and small and at damn near every concert I've ever been to where I've had to stand, someone over 6 feet tall stood right in my sightline, while some other big guy(s) shoved me around. I swung for the expensive seat; I like having personal space and the ability to pee if I need to. 

I'd already set aside money beforehand, though - allocated it as already spent on my budget spreadsheet a few months ago so I wouldn't touch it until the presale.

If you have medical issues, you gotta do what you gotta do. If it comes down to buying an expensive seat vs. not going at all, figure out where you can scrimp over the next few months if you have to.

Said with the caveat that others will likely post and say there's nothing like touching Bono's hand from a spot on the floor, etc.

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »

I prefer seated tickets for many of the same reasons, plus the fact that I am short and small and at damn near every concert I've ever been to where I've had to stand, someone over 6 feet tall stood right in my sightline, while some other big guy(s) shoved me around. I swung for the expensive seat; I like having personal space and the ability to pee if I need to. 

I'd already set aside money beforehand, though - allocated it as already spent on my budget spreadsheet a few months ago so I wouldn't touch it until the presale.

If you have medical issues, you gotta do what you gotta do. If it comes down to buying an expensive seat vs. not going at all, figure out where you can scrimp over the next few months if you have to.

Said with the caveat that others will likely post and say there's nothing like touching Bono's hand from a spot on the floor, etc.

Thank you for your response! My friend said exactly what you said about touching Bono's hand. I guess he brushed her arm and she was all excited about that.  :P

She also mentioned how uncomfortable she was, though...yet is still going for GA tix for the Tampa show! Haha. She's willing to deal with the discomfort.

It doesn't really come down to buying expensive seats vs. not going at all. I could opt for cheaper seats, but I really want the best experience possible. I guess I'll plan on the $250 tix, and not doing much else this year. Hopefully it'll be worth it! I'd love the GA but I, too, prefer my own personal space and the ability to use a restroom! I'll probably buy the good seats for Vegas, and a cheaper one for Phx, since I'll be going to that one by myself.

Thanks again.  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:44:30 PM by jlw1980 »

Offline ultraviolet75

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:04 PM »
Not that it matters to me this time around, but has anyone done GA alone? Is it weird?

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »
I am an older U2 Fan, from way back to Boy, I feel I dont want to hang in the GA, although I'd love to, I would need a different scene than someone 20...I am thinking of going for it and gettting expensive tickets which I really cant afford, but cannot see me doing the GA, If you can swing it DLW then go for it, I may see you at some concert in a seat. My boyfriends gonna kill me but I may just charge it.

Offline u2bono269

• Babyface
  • @atU2 Tours Staffer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
I've done GA alone...Oct 17 Vertigo in Philly.  Great show.  I'll be doing it again at the 2nd Giants show.  it's not weird...you will find people to hang with and the people you're standing with will most likely be nice.  it's a fun time with strangers.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:57 PM »
Not that it matters to me this time around, but has anyone done GA alone? Is it weird?

Not at all. in fact all but two U2 shows I have gone to by myself. I always meet a lot of nice people in line and U2 fans really look out for their own. Its quite a wonderful feeling.

As for the poster that started this thread... Check with the venue, they can usually make accomidations for anyone with special needs.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
I prefer GA by far because I like to be close and actually like hanging out in line chatting about U2.  It's part of the "U2 experience" for me.  I've also done GA alone a few times and ended up meeting some great people (that I now go to U2 shows with  :) ). 

Offline ultraviolet75

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:00:25 PM »
I actually have flown solo myself 3x during the Vertigo tour...just not for GA! :) There are actually alot of perks...getting tickets is easier, if youre the only fan among ur friends, then you dont have to deal with their non-enthusiasm or whatver, and sometimes if your lucky you can find empty seats that are better. :)

However, flying solo at a stadium seemed alittle scary to me this time around (short female lol). I have never actually been to a stadium concert! :-O  Perhaps if they come around again in 2010, Ill try for GA. I still have fingers crossed that theyll go back to arenas... wishful thinking though, huh?

Offline Achtungbaby23

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »

I'm probably going alone.  No one I know is big enough of a fan to stand in line in the heat all freakin day.  Are you in Phoenix by any chance? I hope to meet up with people in this board.

Offline magnificent2009

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
I just bought a pair of GA tickets to Tampa and I'm going alone. I live in Jacksonville. I've gone to enough U2 concerts alone since nobody is crazy enough to fly/drive and wait in line all day. I went to Miami for Vertigo and stood in front of the rail six feet from Edge. I'm not sure what to do with the extra GA ticket though.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 06:48:41 AM »
I just bought a pair of GA tickets to Tampa and I'm going alone. I live in Jacksonville. I've gone to enough U2 concerts alone since nobody is crazy enough to fly/drive and wait in line all day. I went to Miami for Vertigo and stood in front of the rail six feet from Edge. I'm not sure what to do with the extra GA ticket though.

I had a bunch of extra tickets for the Elevation tour. (broke up with long time girlfriend 2 months before tour started). I just traded tickets for food and gas money with other fans that weren't able to get tickets. Saw them four time on that tour and didn't pay for anything other than the initial ticket cost. Just an idea...

Offline jlw1980

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:26 PM »

I'm probably going alone.  No one I know is big enough of a fan to stand in line in the heat all freakin day.  Are you in Phoenix by any chance? I hope to meet up with people in this board.

I'm in Phoenix. Like I said originally, hoping to go to Vegas and Phx. Probably going with 2 friends in Vegas, so I may go to the Phx show alone.

Offline ultraviolet75

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 08:35:12 PM »
No, Im not in Pheonix. Ill be going to Boston 2 show. I have 2 singles to the first show, but am not sure what Im doing with them either. It sure is tempting to go to both shows, but financial restrictions make that tough ight now. Plus, Im thinking I might go up to Boston and see if I can manage a sighting. :)

Offline ultraviolet75

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 08:37:10 PM »
That probably sounds confuusing...the shows for "Boston" are actually not in the city this time around...but Ims ure the boys will be staying in their usual place!